Home Technical Talk

uv + turbosmooth= big problem

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys, running in to a problem. I have my uvs layed out for my car model and the uvs look fine , but when i apply my turbosmooth onto it messes everything up. anyone know why this is happening or how to fix it ?

TS_Problem.jpg

Replies

• AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    yep I remember trying this.
    it doesn't works so well.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Headus UV Layout Pro has a impressive feature that comes with a preview of a subdivided mesh and a option to relax a base UV mesh in a way that it uses the space the best for higher subdivisions.
    Always loved that tool and still do, there are no regular tools out there that can do that. My tip in your case and I say your case because I think most people retopo these days their high polys and then unwrap just that cage. Its easier to unwrap and eats less performance when doing lets say pelt mapping or some other intense relation operations (relaxing,...).

Anyway in your case I would subdivide perhaps 1 level up and unwrap at that level. After that subdivide to level 2 or 3 depending on what you want on your final mesh resolution. That way the UV follows the initial subdivision bending and I think you will catch about 70% right compared to unwrapping just the base.

Also do you mind posting the UV of the low res and high res here just for me to understand what went on, sure it bended but that particular quad corner looks interesting.
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    Max doesn't smooth the seams of your UV Layout when SubD-ing. But there is some kinda hack to get working UVs: Add an edit Poly Modifier below the TSmooth and Split all Edges (yes, all), go to Utilities > Channels Info and Copy your Maping Channel. Then delete the edit Poly Modifier and Paste the Mapping Channel.

Have a read in this thread over at CGTalk (just in case I got something wrong...). There is also a Script posted, that does this automatically.
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i posted about this in the how you model dem shapes thread. There are solutions to it but none are ideal for going back and forth. (http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=56014&page=32)

You can try this, duplicate the modle and break the low poly along the UV seams, turn on the turbosmooth, unwrap it and then copy the UV's from the model with the broken seams across to the high poly model without the broken seams. You can copy the UVs from the mapping channel info dialog.

Basically the turbosmooth is also being applied to the UV's. Meshmooth has a slightly better result but still far from perfect and its really memory intensive.
  • AeroAstroArtsLtd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AeroAstroArtsLtd polycounter lvl 12
    hmm possibly have you tried (max 2010) in the graphite modeling tools preserve uv's button? Here i did something similar and applied a quick planar map to it under the turbosmooth modifier, didn't get the same issues as you though...

Max 2010 File: http://rapidshare.com/files/381764648/polycountnotsameissue.max

notsameissue.jpg