Home General Discussion

Pretty grim read on the state of EA from an executive

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
http://bizpunk.blogspot.com/2010/01/after-bell-today-ea-announced-massive.html

Definitely an interesting albeit grim read on the state of EA and it's inner thought process on operations.

Replies

• DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Horrible news, but this doesn't surprise me at all. EA banks on their, what I call, yearly games. In all honesty, I haven't bought a Madden since 08. My Tiger Woods is 07, same with my NHL. EA needs some fresh content to bring them back. You can only play the same game with a new face so many times before you catch on...

Hopefully this doesn't create more lay offs!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I'm pretty sure we'll see another big round between now and March
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    "it's in the game"
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    wasn't he just in a bunch of articles about how much he was getting paid? nm.. that was the activision CEO I think..
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasn't he just in a bunch of articles about how much he was getting paid? nm.. that was the activision CEO I think..

If CEO's and all the other 'higher ups' would take a small paycut, maybe they wouldn't have to cut back the staff as much. Keep the people who make the games great and drop the suits :)
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    DarthNater wrote: »
    Horrible news, but this doesn't surprise me at all. EA banks on their, what I call, yearly games. In all honesty, I haven't bought a Madden since 08. My Tiger Woods is 07, same with my NHL. EA needs some fresh content to bring them back. You can only play the same game with a new face so many times before you catch on...

Hopefully this doesn't create more lay offs!

Dead Space, Mirrors edge etc..
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That reads more like "why companies won't be doing the work in the US or UK, you guys are too damn expensive".

They need execs that don't rape the company coffers to line their own pockets.
    They need to invest and upgrade the way their studios make games, to make more and cost less.
    They need to look at where the money goes after they cut a studio the check. I suspect the same corporate structure "I get mine first" that permeates the top also saturates the studio heads and their higher ups actually robbing their games of content.
    Maybe not at all studios that remain to stay some what autonomous but it probably happens enough to hurt overall production?

No one is swooping in to gobble up EA because it hasn't hit bottom yet. Why buy now when you can ride it lower and get a better deal. It's probably going to be easier to dig a few gems out of the rubble rather than trying to save EA by strapping yourself to the wrecking ball that's already in motion.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity wrote: »
    Dead Space, Mirrors edge etc..

Right, but they need to start shifting toward more games like this and stop spending so much talent on there yearly games.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Time to buy stock in EA? No? Yes? I'm sure they'll bounce back. Although, I gotta say, I was never a fan of mega companies. I've always shopped at smaller shops around town. My point? Small companies seem to have the advantage. They can be more agile among other things.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Right, but they need to start shifting toward more games like this and stop spending so much talent on there yearly games.

Mirrors edge (and I think dead space but I'm not sure) were a loss. They didn't make money.

Spore was a gigantic loss.

Unfortunately their strategy of original games is not going well for them financially. I don't see why they should continue it.
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10

But this is entirely the point - they invested heavily in new franchises and they all sold well below expectation. I'm no EA apologist, but they have to be given some credit for trying to diversify in recent years. Mirror's Edge, Spore, Skate, Dead Space etc. were all really good games with innovative and/or ambitious content. For whatever reason, they just didn't capture the mainstream's imagination (or lack thereof) with any of these titles.

One could argue that EA started to invest in quality rather than quantity way too late in the game. They were massively complacent for a long time and content to simply milk the sports franchises dry. Now that the rights for these IPs is skyrocketing they are no longer as profitable as they once were. I guess we'll see where things go next...
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12

The sad part is that games such as Mirror's Edge and Dead Space did not sell well and Madden/Fifa/etc. bring them much more profits.

Seems like the shit that's been amassing in that anus for years is finally coming out. I'm not speaking only about EA here; most of the publishers are victims of bad management, poor planning and budgeting. You'd think that after the bankruptcy of 3do and financial clusterfuck that Shenmue was, they would learn something. Sometimes I think that video games market has expanded too fast for its own good and its stitched together with spit and bubble gum; ready to burst in every moment.

I really hope that EA will find the way out this; never been a fan of their strategy, but I want to be as far as I can if that shit explodes. I hope that at least they will wait a few years until I find a job.

That's all in today's "The World is Ending".

• Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Its kind of ironic, they kill of large proportions of creativity in the industry(appear to) by buying everyone up, and they cant make enough money themselves.

Sounds like the same things that happened to the banks, people with no sense spending too much money.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    The biggest shame in this is that good studios will be shut down to make up for shitty decisions made by executives that weren't doing their jobs, while us peons were doing ours. For everyone at EA's sake, I really hope they make a massive change at the head of corporate.

Also goes to show how insanely fast things change up in this industry, a little over a year ago when I first started working under Take Two, EA was negotiating hard to acquire T2, I guess we dodged that bullet! Makes you wonder how well EA would be doing if they hadn't spent so much time spending hundreds of millions acquiring all the studios they could swallow and more time maximizing their business strategies with the strong amount of studios they already had.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Its not like EA isn't making some decent games, Mirrors Edge, Skate 2, Mass Effect, etc, etc, I just think they've gotten too big for their own good.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think dead space was something new, literally no innovation, only 1 big scare in the whole game (first monster attack in decompressed area (no sound)). I feel the whole game would've been scarier and more atmospheric/exploratory if it didn't have the blue line that always tells you where to go. But it didn't suck.

Mirrors edge was very innovative and different, but i don't think it fared that well profit wise?

Bioware's acquisition was a great move by EA, they'll be printing gold rpg's till the end of time.

As far as madden goes, i don't think they spend that much money on it, and if they were smart, they would just switch madden to the MMORPG sales model.

I buy madden for 10 dollars. I pay 10 dollars a month to play it online on fast ea servers, get updated roster info the week it happens, graphical and game updates, and the new version when it comes out is 10 dollars again.

A team of 10 people or so can update roster information, periodically add graphical enhancements, update/tweak gameplay etc.

I'm not sure how large the player base is that plays madden against each other on the same screen is, but that might be the only concern.