Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Whelp in progress

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
I'm making this guy to hopefully put in torchlight. It's a bit above standard right now I think with the 256 texture and 1,170 tris. I can reduce it pretty easily (probably starting by making the teeth planes). The texture is still in progress and it's been slow since I've only been working on it during the 30 minutes I'm not eating at lunch.

whelp.jpg

I don't really know much about modding torchlight- so if anyone has any pointers I'd appreciate it. Also, the texture is still a work in progress (as you can tell from the back tail part and the horns), so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them :)

Replies

• danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    I like it. The colors are nice and vibrant, and I think it'll look good alongside other Torchlight content and seems to fit well with the art style of the game. I also like the expression on the face - menacing without being overly monstrous, with a hint of mischief.

The only thing I'd change right now is the color of the horns and chest area. I know you said the texturing wasn't finished, so maybe some slightly less saturated, muted tones would offer some contrast to the scales - maybe a paler, bone-type color?

Good job!
  • Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    danshewan had my idea, just mute out some of those colors on the texture. But overall I'm digging the model. But as for information on Torchlight, there's a whole community over on Torchlit.net with some pretty decent tutorials.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Nice modelling and texture work, looks cute :D
    Only thing I could suggest is to change the colour of the inside of his nostrils to pink with a central dark patch.
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey- thanks for the advice guys! I tried something out and wanted to see what you think. I'm not sure how I feel about the bone-ish color - I think I need to change the mouth to something but the red doesnt keep the attention to it that yellow does, and the tailtip to something else. Sorry GCMP, I forgot about the nostrils- I'll go back to them when I've got time.
    whelp.jpg
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Very fun! Nice work.

- BoBo
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very fun! Nice work.

- BoBo

It feels like an honor hearing that from you BoBo. I love your work :) I'm seriously a huge fan.

My roomate suggested I try keeping the red and yellow but darkening up the transition. Any other suggestions to changing it? Unfortunatly I wont get a chance till monday :\

I might try getting a weapon or something into torchligh first as practice. Im a little lost when it comes to the max- torchlight with full animation and rig and what not. I've browsed the torchlight forums but they can be a bit confusing too. There are like 5 different exporters I saw people saying to use, either self made or downloadable from a website. Yeesh.
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I added some purples to the red/yellow and I like the results. I went ahead and made this test image- to get another opinion.
    Is the belly better desaturated? Any suggestions?

whelp.jpg
  • makecg
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    I like the middle one

- BoBo
  • mifflefish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In my opinion the one furthest to the right looks the best
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    i also like the furthest right, and therefore disagree with bobo, and therefore have secured myself a cozy spot in the darkest circle of hell
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Nice work Organized...

I mean nice work, Organized.

I mean....Sir OrganizedChaos, nice work. =)
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    I would try taking the color of the underbelly on the far right and using it on the middle one.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    desaturated belly is best!
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback :) I ended up going with what I thought was a nice middle between... the middle, and the end one. I figure I haven't posted my wire or texture sheet yet. He's at 1,150 tris now with a 256x256 texture. I put him on a rig and attempted weighting him with the skin modifier. I've never really tried it before so I hope I didn't screw up anything. I was selecting verts and weighting them that way, the abs slider thing. Hm.

Well, hopefully it works and I can manage to animate this guy.. it's not really my strong point.
    I've been trying to get him in torchED and I've been browsing the runic forums, it's just been difficult going through their forums.

testq.jpg