Home General Discussion

Heath Ledger's last film - The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus is out today (Friday the 8th). Looks amazing. This is directed by Terry Gilliam. It has Johnny Depp, Jude Law, Heath Ledger and others within. The environments in the film are really something special on top of all the other good things.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFxqw0jbC2Y[/ame]

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tom Waits as the devil, its worth it just to go see that.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    wow didnt this come out in europe like 1 or more months ago ? i found it bloody amazing, and want to see it again :P
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea you invade 2 countries, crash the global economy, propagate all kinds of unsustainable farming techniques and continually elect leaders based on who has the bigger ears and all of a sudden you're off the A list... pfft... what a way to start off a new millennium.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Yes! This movie is awesome! I saw it when it came out in Vancouver, I want to check it out again though, there's definitely stuff I missed the first time through. I love Gilliam, that guy makes pure cinematic magic. :D
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    Yea you invade 2 countries, crash the global economy, propagate all kinds of unsustainable farming techniques and continually elect leaders based on who has the bigger ears and all of a sudden you're off the A list... pfft... what a way to start off a new millennium.

Now you know how it feels like! Cheers ehh i mean Prost!
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone that thinks of themselves as a creative person will love this, I think :P My wife and I loved it!
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    That's out *today*?

WTF, I thought this wasn't due out for months, I haven't heard a damn thing about it for a while.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Saw this a few months back...twas enjoyable enough, no 12 monkeys though.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    I've been looking forward to this, I love gilliam's stuff (especially Munchausen). I looked it up and it's not playing anywhere remotely near me, going to have to wait for the DVD. :P
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master

quote of the day
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saw it late this afternoon and loved it. Definitely a very visually interesting film and all of the cast members were pretty much flawless in their roles. Tom Waits as the devil was very cool. I was impressed. I definitely would recommend seeing it if at all possible. I read that it only opens in 400 theaters in the United States today but if there is enough demand for it to show they'll release in a more wide audience. Hopefully that will occur. I have to say Heath Ledger's performance being that of his last was on par with his portrayal of the Joker. He did a great job and it was a high note to go out on.

Lily Cole who plays Valentina in the film...DAMN!...I could stare at her all day every day. Amazingly beautiful.
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    Oh yay, I've been waiting for this one to come out, thanks for the head's up! I really should check the theater listings more often.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Saw it last night with my gf. Was a fantastic movie with lots of unique and interesting visuals.
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    I saw this today, it was alright. I love to see movies like this that are different from anything normal you might see in movies, but I think if your going to do something people arent use to seeing and may not understand you need to give them more information about what is going on. Even though I tried really hard to understand what was going on and what everything was all about I was still lost most of the time, I think it could have been better if some things were explained a little better, you can't treat it like a movie where people will just automatically understand like you can with other movies based on real life. Otherwise everything was really cool :D

oh and I would totally choose Colin Farrell to be in my fantasy too :D
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Saw it when it came out in Australia months ago. I'm surprised the reviews here haven't been a little more divided.

It's certainly a peculiar movie even, I think, by Gilliam's standards. Still not entirely sure where I stand on it, really. It seems to lack a certain something to pull the whole rambling, dreamlike story together into a coalescent, though not necessarily coherent, whole. It's likely due to the films painful, protracted birthing process, so is largely forgivable, though that doesn't make it a better film.

It's not bad, just not the finest work of either Gilliam or Ledger.
  • Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    Tom Waits as the devil, its worth it just to go see that.

And I'm completely sold.
  • uneditablepoly
    Saw it, loved it. It reminds me of something Miyazaki would do. It was very otherworldly and it felt a bit like an animated movie to me for some reason. I love all the archetypes and excursions into the surreal. Everyone should definitely try to get out and see this one.

By the way, thank you. I saw this thread a couple days ago and remembered this existed so that's how I decided to go out and see it. ;p
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Well, Im going to Buck the Trend here and Say that Gilliam is suckville.
    He can come up with some cool visuals, and great trailers for his films, *sigh* I really want to like him but after Brothers Grimm I have lost all faith in that fool. Might Redbox this. MIGHT
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You will...oh you will. ;) hahaha It was good Josh. Towards the end it kind of reminded me of a Dali painting in a way.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Josh: you're really doing yourself a disservice if you skip out on this movie, watching it on the small screen can't compare to seeing all the crazyness on a moviescreen.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh wrote: »
    Well, Im going to Buck the Trend here and Say that Gilliam is suckville.
    He can come up with some cool visuals, and great trailers for his films, *sigh* I really want to like him but after Brothers Grimm I have lost all faith in that fool. Might Redbox this. MIGHT
    I don't blame ya, The Brother Grim was... HORRIBLE. We rented it, I shut it off about 2/3rds in it really really sucked but I kind of guessed that from the trailer and the reviews. This one looks different.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Looks like a bad acid trip with good actors.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Loved it. Tom Waits is one of my musical heroes and thought he was damn brilliant in it. In some weird way.. Heath Ledger's death kind of worked out for Gilliam in how they had Law, Depp, and Farrel replace him. Clever stuff.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    ErichWK.. agreed.

Just got back from seeing it, that was an exceptional film.
  • uneditablepoly
    Yeah, ErichWK.. I totally agree haha. When Ledger died it was probably an "Aww... wait..." moment.