Home Technical Talk

Max to Maya: Edge Constraints

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
Is there an equivalent to the 3ds Max edge and/or face constraint tools in Maya? I'm using 2009.

thx

Replies

• malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Not sure what that does in max can you please elaborate? Are you looking for the slide edge tool in maya?
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure what the slide edge tool is doing, it feels VERY similar to what I'm looking for, but it's not the same effect..

What I'm looking for is also similar to the curve snap tool (holding 'c' and middle-mouse dragging) in maya, but does both of these tools at the same time.

Maya's slide tool seems to be sliding an edge in the "row" direction while constraining the verts of the highlighted edge along neighboring "loop" edges. Basically what I'm looking for is transform, scale, and rotation movement to allow verts, edges, or faces to "slide" or be constrained to the edges of the geometry. they will stop at verts and not go beyond them.

I can give better visual examples of the way Max does this later tonight, maybe tomorrow.

Hope that helps, thanks for the reply.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I found Maya's version of the tool I believe! While scaling moving or rotating, if you hold Ctl+Shift and middle mouse, the selection will move how I wanted. It doesn't seem to be as accurate for some reason, I'm guessing because Maya won't let me "slide" with a specific axis, it looks to be view based /shrug but I think that's what I'll looking for. :)
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, for some reason, it doesn't choose to slide my selection down the edges I'd expect it too, when moving down, the top edges will slide down the edges running that direction, the bottom edges seem to choose a different edge than I would expect when they should go in the direction I'm dragging them. It has half of a "localized crunching" effect, yet they are constrained to the edges like I had hoped but does not have the control I'd hope for. Close enough for now I suppose ;)
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Don't think you will find a perfect match. But you could also look at "custom axis orientation" in the tool settings. There's set to point, edge and face.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Nex seems to have that. Not as nicely implemented than the simple constraint tickboxes from Max but it might help ...
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    i was just going to suggest NEX. there's a lot of really, really handy tools in there for a not so large chunk of change. you can at least download the demo trial and check it out. it does feature multiple axis constraints like Max, which is really handy, and it has become a great plug in for retopo with their Quad Draw tools (at least i love it anyway) much like polyboost's stuff... cut tool is more in line with Max's unlike Maya's Split Poly tool. Target welding is easy as balls... i'll just shutup... download it!
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    ah yeah, I haven't used NEX since they supposedly added it, but it was one of the biggest requests when it was in beta. I tried for months to get something working with MEL but it was too slow to be useful.
    I imagine someone smarter than me could whip up a really nice one without it being a huge pain, I'm pretty surprised I haven't seen any attempts for free.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm using Nex and have been discovering all it has to offer with glee. ;) thanks guys. I found holding Ctrl+Shift+middle-mouse does the trick when moving single verts at a time.
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    killingpeople: Really? What version are you on. For me, that just locks the translation to the closest matching axis on the manipulator. Or is that a NEX thing?
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maya 2009, I am using Nex and they have their own slide tools, so that could very well be it.
  • Cpacker92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just found it. If you go into the move tool settings, turn on transform constraint to surface then it should work. I use maya 2016.