Home General Discussion

Just checking - new pc requirements....

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
in the same vein as Shiver136's thread - i was contemplating on buying a new pc,
main thing was though - i am unfamilar with all the new specs (dual/quad core 64/32bti etc.)
i wanted to make sure i would be buying a computer that could definitely run max, maya and mudbox...

here's what i was thinking:
http://www.scorptec.com.au/system/100

does anyone have any comments, or aware of any problems with this setup and the required software?

cheers, alex.

Replies

• PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    Go with the 5870 instead, and get a second drive or an external backup solution. RAID0 is all asscheeks and tits until it shits all over itself and you lose your hard work. Also, thats a tad over priced.

The motherboard you get with this is decent, but doesn't have the 6 DIMM slots like other LGA 1366 boards come with, yet is still triple channel, so it limits future expansion. The 2 PCIE x16 slots are only x16 if one card is present, otherwise they most likely drop to x8. It's also rated fairly poorly in comparison to other LGA 1366 boards.

They obviously havn't spent much time putting this machine together, they just went with what sounds cool on paper, and cost less to them, but most likely if you spend time with choosing your parts and read the Qualified Vendor's List, you can build an even more kickass machine for $300 cheaper.

imo, go with an i7-920 and a better CPU cooler than stock, and overclock slightly to get the 3.0ghz, which is easily achieved on stock voltages. Thus saving you money, and not ruining the lifespan of your proc.

Edit: Spend a few extra bucks on a motherboard that is rated well and offers the specific features you need, and you'll never regret it.

Thats all I got for now.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    That mousepad is regulary more expensive than most other pads they have and yet much cheaper hmm...

Damn this reminds me I know so little about the hardware for todays computers, and it wasnt long ago I read up on it and bought my rig I have now it feels like. All that useless out dated hardware nonsense i got in my brains now... :(

Have a good Happy New Years everyone!
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty sick system but alot of money. Better than mine and Shiver's set up we got.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Are you familiar at all with building your own rig from scratch? Thats what I did. Ends up a bit cheaper and you love it like your baby.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can get nice premade builds but building and knowing each individual element of a PC is awesome and can save alot of money aswell as knowing exactly what you are looking for.
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    TheWinterLord - it's not nyr's yet hippy!

TaylorHood - yeah, i thought i'd doll out sum decent cash so i don't have to worry about upgrading it for a few years and make sure it's reasonably future proof....

EricWK - my brother and friends keep on saying "build it yourself", but i'm more of an artist than an IT guru - and getting it done pre - assembled soothes my thoughts about warranties and making sure all the parts work together...
    last time i went dell - pre-assembled and delivered: overpriced and despite being a pc by nature, non-upgradable to an extent - everything had to be 'dell' compatible to work - even after warranty

cheers for the comments/advice