Home General Discussion

In the near future there will be... (predictions)

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
I'm bored so i thought i'd start a thread... I just wanted to share some of my predictions of where we are heading technology wise.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btu8qTh5nlY[/ame]

In the near future there will be tablet PCs that will revolutionize social media, book reading, magazine reading, internet browsing, photo viewing, etc, etc....

What got me thinking is the fact that people will be designing these things to be ergonomic enough to hold with one hand while walking, and entering data and information on the go. This would be useful for doctors who need to pull up medical charts quickly, and other people who need to constantly be moving around on foot.

Which got me thinking even more....

I think that in the near future, there will be a revolution in the way we type, based on the assumption that Tablet PCs will be the future of computing. I think that traditional typing will still be taught, but a new typing structure will emerge. A typing structure that only uses one hand.

If you think about it, the design aspects are quite simple. The typing face would be a narrow rectangle, with a space bar spanning the whole left side vertically, and then 4 rows of keys, for your 4 fingers. It would work, it would just be a new way to type, just like there are people who can operate 10 button phone texting with blazing speeds.

Post comments / Predictions of your own.

Replies

• Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know if they'll ever get around to making them popular, but I'd sure like an eyepiece with a HUD I can use to look things up and stuff while going about regular activities.

edit: oops, started posting before the link. my bad.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    fly_soup wrote: »
    I don't know if they'll ever get around to making them popular, but I'd sure like an eyepiece with a HUD I can use to look things up and stuff while going about regular activities.
    Yes :D Augmented Reality devices +1 please!
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    i dont think that anything is able to replace the keyboard, its just too fucking useful and simple
    every invention triing to mime or replace the keyboard is either weird or needs extra software
    which also makes a normal keyboard neccecary for installing purpose
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    1879: i dont think that anything is able to replace the HORSE, its just too fucking useful and simple
    every invention triing to mime or replace the HORSE is either weird or needs extra STUFF
    which also makes a normal Horse neccecary for OTHER STUFF
  • SUNCHIRP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    companies going down left, right and centrre, because of their concentation on 'realism' in their games. Cost / Time To Produce, being the major causes in this 'stupid' goal of most developer, stylised / style/ defined art styles is the way of the future moving forward, but then again, I've been saying this for years, and so far, no one has listened...:(
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    My personal fantasy is that they will develop an input controller that allows for hands-free typing. That is to say, it will be a head-band style controller that calibrates with your brain, and allows you to type just by thinking about it. There are already companies attempting something along these lines, so I think its just a matter of time. The speed at which I type is limited by my stubby fingers, and the dangers of carpal tunnel. Being able to type by thinking would allow me to be considerably more productive, since I can usually think up new code much faster than I can type. Expanding this functionality for use with graphical applications would take longer, but would also be welcome.