Home General Discussion

Making something, for real?

I have always been fascinated by objects; weird, out of this world even ordinary things. I guess that is the reason why I started doing 3D graphics, my fascination for things I could not get for real.

A while ago, though, while watching a a talk Adam Savage, the crazy ginger on Mythbusters, did at TED. This made me realize, that now that 3D art has become my job, albeit very enjoyable, I need a new hobby to keep my brain from turning into XYZ phelgm, while still retaining some sort of exciting creativity in my spare time.

In short, I found out I need my own grail dairy. Perhaps a centaur fetus in a creepy jar, with a label dated in the mid 1800's. You know, cool, geeky props that you know you need when you think about it, without having a single logical explanation for it; except the sheer amount of awesome it contains?

Anyone else had these thoughts?

Oh and thanks to Tully for inspiring me, and digging this idea back out :D

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=68336

Replies

• Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    I have been wanting to use http://robotthecompany.com/ since their inception to buy prints of stuff and do cool things with them. I will probably do so once I have the money.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah I want to do that sort of stuff too, again. I used to build lots of things with wood, paper and cardboard when I was a kid, I pretty much kept doing the same thing in 3D, build anything that fascinates me.

I want to switch things around and take something from 3D back to making it in real life, after seeing this guy's website: http://volpinprops.blogspot.com/
    I think my VZ61 Skorpion SMG is a good prop to start with. I'm probably going to do it all in wood.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think PVC would probably do a better job, maybe ABS plastic if you can come by it..

Then you can also put a cheap softgun mechanism inside easily :P
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Xoliul, awesome link, thanks!
    I had seen the photos of the Big Daddy costume but I didn't realise he had a (very nice) blog, lots of good stuff in there.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bbob: unrelated to your need to create real objects, but when you said you needed a creative outlet that was different to your job, I thought I'd share what mine was:
    Making 'music'. In my case that boils down to just making sounds and riffs untill I get bored, and then starting on something else. Very undisciplined, but that's what appeals to me, as I won't it to be very different from work. Even if you don't play an instrument or have any musical 'talent', I'd advise you to just fuck around with softsynths and samplers and loops, and find out how relaxing it can be. If you like I could write up a short post on free software and instruments.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    If you like I could write up a short post on free software and instruments.

Yes ! It would be nice to not have to search for that - somehow having a little package of programs doing the job fine with no need for anything else ...
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    bbob, I'm pretty sure it'll be wood, my father turned our garage into a very well equipped woodworking shop, plus he's got over 10 years of experience to help me out with. I wouldn't know where to start with plastic...

MoP: no prob man, It's an awesome blog indeed. Credits also go to whoever (I forgot) posted it in somebody's Bioshock needle WIP topic.
  • Tully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tully polycounter lvl 18
    Great idea, bbob :D I'm glad I could be of a little help! I agree entirely about the hobby -- it's nice to have something seperate, and have a few different things available to you to do. Make sure you post any coolness when it's ready to show!
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    great Big Daddy's suit there
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    I craft fishing lures (both soft and hard baits) but I use 3d modeling to create them, then have the blanks or soft plastic molds cut on a cnc machine. Yeah I'm a hick, I know.... or maybe canadian, they love to fish too...
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    My grandfather does that too... except he does it by hand. Non-digital like. But yeah, Bbbob. You've made me think about awesome shit i could craft :)
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another idea I have had for a while, I was reminded while watching the DaVinci Code on telly yesterday, was something along the lines of Pierre Plantards fakery of the Prieur