Home General Discussion

Staying productive.

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
brandoom polycounter lvl 13
Hey guys,

so bit of a random question, but how do you guys keep your self productive?

I find that after 4 or 5 hours of working, getting work done becomes increasingly difficult. Eventaully it will get to the point that I'll work for 15-20 mins then get easily side tracked.. and this will usually repeat till whenever I decided to call it quits for the day.

Drugs and drinking coffee all day are not options, lol.

Replies

• 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't fight it! I have to take a break and do something else (L4D2 works well) for a while every once in a while, and I find that I'm more motivated and inspired when I get back to it.

Note: This doesn't work quite as well when at work. :)
  • kickzombies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kickzombies polycounter lvl 17
    Think of the petrifying hell that awaits you if you don't finish that work on time!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Everyone's different, try to remember what motivated you to do the project in the first place, and if there isn't any real reason you need to come up with one, you gotta get excited for the project somehow. Think of the next milestone you're working towards, whether it's a high poly, texturing, a UV unwrap, and think of how cool the project is going to look once that's done. It's nice to have milestones along the way rather than thinking of the project as one large mountain.

The most important thing is planning. Do a project that you know you can do without too many hang-ups, but leave yourself some artistic freedom somewhere to keep things fresh and interesting, or think of ways to do what you've done before faster. If you're not doing something fresh and new, and not doing something faster than before, not only is the work going to be super tedious, but not very interesting either.
  • toren3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toren3d polycounter lvl 7
    Aderol with Dragonforce on repeat.

But seriously, I usually take care of everything around the house, take care of the emails, etc to get my head clear, make sure I'm fed and have drinks at the desk, then get some nice tunes going and just work. Like 3DLee said, if your not in the mood, your not in the mood, so don't fight it, and take a break and come back later. You may even find that wearing headphones or closing your door, even if you live alone, helps out quite a bit to lock you in.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Disconnect from the Internet... I have yet to try this, but I know it would help me SOOOOOO much, heck... I find when polycount goes down for a bit, I magically find more time to work :P

I'm so bad with time management :(
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe you are getting low on blood sugar. Take a break, eat some food, and let your brain replenish it's glucose. Then do some more work, nice and refreshed.

The previous suggestions are good also!
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    My solution is: "Diversify" (if you can). Work is not just "work", tasks can be difficult, daunting, boring, challenging and so on. I'm not in the mood or simply physical form to do effectively any on them at any time. After 10-12 hours of coding I can hardly work on a new piece of code. If I try I find myself loosing more time fixing errors than actually going on. The solution: I do all the creative/difficult/challenging staff at morning, then gradually along the afternoon "slow down" to easier tasks, then in the evening all the boring stuff, like code cleanup, commenting an so on. On an artistic side there is not so much difference. Each one has strong and weak points, so my advice is to start from what's less comfortable and requires your brain at full speed when you're fresh, like modeling in my case, then gradually move to more comfortable and safer zone, like texturing. At the end of the day, work on on rather boring but also less demanding stuff, like UVW unwrapping, just to give an idea. One thought that always helps me is to visualize the final result, it pushes me to reach it faster, without rushing, or the outcome would be dissatisfaction and frustration.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    brandoom wrote: »

well thats tough. :P
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really great responses guys, thanks for those.

Have any of you found that your 'tolerance' for the amount of time you can work has gone up over the years? Just by working every day?
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motivation is a red herring.

Its a word used by those who claim they don't have it. Basically the only thing that works is just getting on with it, and not think of clever ways to make it feel like you arent working. At one point it will become a habit and you wont think about it so much.

As for overcoming great big daunting projects, it can help to focus on the little things until it finally comes together. Like cleaning a really messy room, just start piece for piece and before you know it, you are done.

Oh, and putting your music in a playlist, and promising yourself you will not touch the program unless rick ashtley starts singing, really helps.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Short-term: Take breaks often, I take several 5 minute breaks every hour. I find 5 minute breaks are short enough not to break concentration/focus but are long enough to give the eyes and mind a good rest.

Long-term: Try to pick up other art forms, such as photography, drawing, painting, etc. Your experience in 3D will be much richer.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Motivation and inspiration.

Motivation = I can't wait to finish this boring project/I can't wait to see the awesome final result/I can't wait for payday

Inspiration = Team members, books, movies, discussion boards.

Everyone is different when it comes to the both of these. You just need to find what works well with you.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    Short-term: Take breaks often, I take several 5 minute breaks every hour. I find 5 minute breaks are short enough not to break concentration/focus but are long enough to give the eyes and mind a good rest.

Long-term: Try to pick up other art forms, such as photography, drawing, painting, etc. Your experience in 3D will be much richer.

THIS...
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    i find it helpful to break down the work into the smallest possible tasks and do it step by step and not think too far ahead. that way i'm not overwhelmed by the whole workload left to do and can focus better.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    most likely, your expectations for how much you can do within 5 hours is grossly overestimated,
    and as you fail to meet your goals, you get depressed and demotivated.
    you can first try and find ways to cut corners in your modeling workflow.
    also, try and do smaller projects that you know you'll be able to complete within a space of 5-6 hours, with a high level of quality. something like.. a medieval helmet.
    it really helps to build confidence in your ability to do great art, and it also feels great to actually feel you've managed to complete something that you're satisfied with.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    I look at others work, look around for cool concept art (even if it has nothing to do with what I'm working on), play video games (and not PLAY them, I walk around and look at the art, Gears 1 and 2 are great inspiration).

I also find inspiration by looking at my old work. I think 'god that stuff looks like hell, look how far I've come'. Keep some old junk pieces around, it will keep you going :)
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    I've started unplugging my ethernet cable so I'm not tempted to check for new posts here.

Aw, crap.

Seriously, though, I have that thing where you have to check your mail compulsively, and when I realize nobody's written to me in the last five minutes, I usually check new posts here, then I end up trawling through Google images for reference.....

The internet is the sharpest of all the double-edged swords.

Oh, and everything Eraserhead said. And exercise - fresh air and time away from the monitor is essential.
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    work faster. Get 8 hours of work done in 5 hours. Then go play.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    stop masterbating
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    danshewan wrote: »
    I've started unplugging my ethernet cable so I'm not tempted to check for new posts here.

Aw, crap.

Seriously, though, I have that thing where you have to check your mail compulsively, and when I realize nobody's written to me in the last five minutes, I usually check new posts here, then I end up trawling through Google images for reference.....

The internet is the sharpest of all the double-edged swords.

Oh, and everything Eraserhead said. And exercise - fresh air and time away from the monitor is essential.

Same here, sometimes id wish my internet would go down so id atleast try to get some work done.

Although procrastination has set in lately, i feel i need to push myself to beat this first.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    This sort of thread pops up every now and then...
    Perhaps it would be a good idea to have a sticky thread that relates everyones tips & tricks for staying motivated.

Booyakasha!

*Edit * Post 111.. man I'm seeing that number all the time now. 11:11 on the microwave/oven/alarm clock. Anyone else seeing 11:11 frequently?
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Someone gave me good advice a few years ago in regards to getting things done. Some of it has already been said so apologies but figured I'd write it anyway!

Have short term goals, things that you can achieve piece by piece that build up the whole.
    Saying to yourself "ok I'll just have this modelled and ready for unwrapping by the end of the day" is better than "I'm going to have this awesome prop done by the end of the week"

The other thing which ties into above is writing a list. Seriously, I can't believe how much this helps me focus what I'm doing. It's so much easier to see the bigger picture, and crossing things off gives me a sense of achievement and productivity. I have a notepad next to my pc which is just for lists.

Having a friend constantly on your back to get things done helps too!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aFh_1WXfpc[/ame]
    He never took a break what makes you think you deserve one =P
    You're steam drill is in China... Try to keep up.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    brandoom wrote: »
    Hey guys,

so bit of a random question, but how do you guys keep your self productive?

I find that after 4 or 5 hours of working, getting work done becomes increasingly difficult. Eventaully it will get to the point that I'll work for 15-20 mins then get easily side tracked.. and this will usually repeat till whenever I decided to call it quits for the day.

Productive in terms of game programming, 3d modeling, and/or sketching?

It took me about 2 months to get myself used to constantly studying all this. If I am not on my computer fooling around, doing such practicals, I am probebly reading about them. As I read on Gamedev.net that "one must sleep, eat and breathe game programming in order to become one" I am on to that. Once I've sattled a goal for myself, I must be productive. The way to keep one's self productive is self enforcement ( in other words, I keep forcing myself to atleast read and understand whatever skills I need for game programming, so I can follow up on it when I am not too tired)

And I time myself to check how much time I've spent doing that, because the time I've spent today will increase the time I will spend tomorrow, and it is practically proven.

The only times that I lifted myself off from this "being productive and self learning" part is when I had to study for my college or when I am at work and my boss is being too bossy and tells me that I can not study at work.

EDIT: Once I started forcing myself to do my personal studies of game programming 3d modeling and drawing, I found it user-friendly after a while.
    Than I didnt get stressed out or considered this personal doing of mine as difficult because I knew what I was doing.

Once you learn how to do what you are suppose to do, grants you the freedom from such stress.

EDIT2: Also make a TO DO List for the day, which one of the fellow Polycount member stated already.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    post less, do more.. yes I realize the irony of posting that!
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I like to go for a quick 10-15 minute bike ride. And for some reason I come back ready to kick ass.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    take a ten minute break every hour.
  • Yozora
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    Something I always do that helps me a lot to stay productive: Keep a list of small things that you need to do next to you. Stuff like adjust this texture, make collisionmodel for that etc. It's really a nice motivating feeling to scrap something from the list when you are done with it. It's also nice to do some of those small tasks to rest your mind from your main task.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for everybody's responses. I'm going to give the list thing a try. :)
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    low odor wrote: »
    stop masterbating

or masturbate more often.

then after you have a nice blister get back to work, and take a 5 min break every hour or two and look at work by other artists. always makes me want to work harder when i see some of the amazing work others do. but this could also discourage some so idk if it will work for you.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    usually i get rid of the more boring and mechanical processes first thing when i wake up
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    I have terrible motivation, the very second I open Photoshop/max I go "oh lawd"

Sit down and discuss game mechanics and I'll talk your ear off...and you'll bash my face in because I. Know. Nothing.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    actually I keep massive lists with "virtual" post-it notes on my desktop ("stickies") that are set to load when I turn the machine on. I also have one note that is my daily tasks, pruned from the lists. Help you know whats on and what you'd like to do.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stickies and colored folders... I do miss them so. It was such a big help in staying organized. Anyone know of any windows based apps that allow stickies and folder colors?
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Yay! Hadn't thought about searching for it until now, but yeah, OS X stickies were so handy.

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,70878/description.html
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The free version has a lot of option http://www.foldermarker.com/
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/yoshikadu02

watch him stream live almost everyday making comics, will put shame laziness label on ur face ...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NICE! Thanks guys.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I'm not so sure, its a good idea to look at another artist as an example. There will always be artists that work harder, faster, stronger than everyone else. Everyone is different and its all about productive time. In comparing yourself to someone whom is extremely productive, these ubermenschen you will only dissapoint yourself.

Its what you can do and how long you can focus on it for. Dont neglect play/relax time either. Pick an amount of time to seriously focus on something half an hour to an hour perhaps. Then after that relax go away for a while.
  • okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I find watching time-lapse videos of modelling/sculpting/painting really inspirational, I always feel like making something afterwards.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    I find that meditation and having a life is a big motivator for me to get work done. knowing who i am and what i want on my deepest level creates motivation in my life.
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11