Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Low Poly Character WIP

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
Hey Guys, would love to get some feedback on this model for an upcoming animation. I've posted the concept art so you can see what I was thinking, I"m not a concept artist - so dont judge the concept art. Its still low poly- after I finish it up I'll take it into zbrush for some touch ups.

ConceptEphemera_Colored.jpgMayaScreenSnapz001.jpgMayaScreenSnapz002.jpg

sorry about the cursor right in the middle of his eye!

Replies

• vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Is it a bee or fly? Overall it looks a little generic, he is lacking character. Wireframes would help too. Not bad I guess, depends on what you are going for though.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    looks a bit like the Cheerios bee. If it is for animation, why are you making it low poly?
  • Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    VCortis is right, it's lacking real character. Play with the symmetry, add something to throw off the normality.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this doesnt look very low poly to me
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips, it is rather generic, I'm going for a more disney -ified look to him, very cartoony, also trying to go semi stylized, so I guess I need to push that further. And I never thought about it, but he is lacking some character, something is amiss, will def. go back to the drawing board on making him more memorable. Thanks for that! As far as him looking like the cheerios bee, I can see it, although he was def. not in my mind while designing the character, I tried to take a mayfly and characterize it.

As far as the low poly thing is concerned, its sitting at about 4000 tris right now.. which is about medium poly I guess, I'm mainly aiming to stay under 10,000 so it'll stay easily animateable, plus theres really no reason to be more than that based on his size and shape. I guess thats why I said it was low-er poly.

Thanks guys!! great help and will post updates soon! if anyone else has anything always open to more suggestions, trying to make him great!
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    can we see some wireframes?
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For sure, I'm at work right now but I'll post them as soon as I get home.
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The eyes are still nurbs curves that I havn't converted to poly's yet. but here's the mesh. gonna work on giving him some character and asymmetry.

WireFrameFront_1.jpg

WireFrameBack_2.jpg
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Huh? Where is the "low poly character wip"? Its no longer low poly when you put a mesh smooth modifier on it. Low poly still means sub 1000 triangles last time i checked.

Its a good start for a cartoony hires model, but its for sure not a low poly.
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guess I should of named the title better, but my fault I will rename it..

Also yes this will be strictly for an animation and not for in game, so I'm still aiming for under 5000 just to keep it snappy while animating, but I've given some thought to adding character to him and i'll post some sketches soon.

Thanks!

I actually have a question pertaining to the smooth mesh modifier, I've always used it but given no thought to how it actually works, in Maya, even when applied it still states that it has 4,000 polygons, does it just up that when it comes to rendering - and only register 4000 when your viewing it in the open gl preview? Can anyone clarify this for me?
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    yeahh i thought it looked higher than 4k when you mesh smooth a 4k model you get a 16k model and that is with lowest setting smooth.

in mesh smooth turn iterations to 0 and check render value iterations and turn that number up to 1 or higher, and then it will only smooth when you render, if you see the smoothed model in the vp, then it is drawing the smoothed version.

and what number low poly is i believe is up to anyones definition,, around 10k or lower is my opinion, for me low poly is anything that can be ran sensibly in real time game applications