dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
spent a few weeks on this thing:

borgrender.jpg

still needs some work though.

Replies

• Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sick, wish I had one of these to do my Barbarian Meadfest party i just threw...

any chance the interior is ready to be seen too?

the environment is cool, but if it were snowy it'd be that much more viking
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dippndots wrote: »
    sick, wish I had one of these to do my Barbarian Meadfest party i just threw...

any chance the interior is ready to be seen too?

the environment is cool, but if it were snowy it'd be that much more viking

well, there is a real one in lofoten, norway, and they arrange midwinter parties there as well ;)

i'll be doing the interior later.
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool wish i wasn't on the opposite side of the world from Norway, can't wait to see that interior sometime in the future
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Now that...is a lot of tiling :)
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Is that CryEngine by any chance? I think I recognize the grass models, although it's hard to tell.

If so - you will have a lot of fun making a snowy environment to go along with this model.

Great model, although you might consider increasing the size of your roof texture. The tiling makes it damn hard to look at. Shit makes me dizzy :poly124: It's almost like on of these optical illusions.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is that CryEngine by any chance? I think I recognize the grass models, although it's hard to tell.

If so - you will have a lot of fun making a snowy environment to go along with this model.

Great model, although you might consider increasing the size of your roof texture. The tiling makes it damn hard to look at. Shit makes me dizzy :poly124: It's almost like on of these optical illusions.

nah, its 3ds max scanline :P
    i suppose i failed to convey the scale of the building. the original building is 80 meters long, and therefore has a shit ton of those roof tiles.
    borgrender2.jpg
    does this break up the tiling any? i added a few stains here and there.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    dejawolf wrote: »
    does this break up the tiling any? i added a few stains here and there.

I think so. It breaks up the tiling quite well, without seeming overly-stained or dirty. Personally, I'd like to see some more of the building itself - maybe a low angle looking up from closer to ground level so we get some idea of the rest of the architecture, plus you could get some nice lighting effects through the foliage.

Good work!
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan wrote: »
    I think so. It breaks up the tiling quite well, without seeming overly-stained or dirty. Personally, I'd like to see some more of the building itself - maybe a low angle looking up from closer to ground level so we get some idea of the rest of the architecture, plus you could get some nice lighting effects through the foliage.

Good work!

this is pretty much the whole building. the walls are covered with mounds to isolate and keep the heat inside, and over time the mounds grow with grass and bushes.

here's a pic of the building i based the model off:
    borgvikingting.jpg
    i've taken some artistic liberties though, and mixed and matched with the borgund stave church architectural features, such as the dragon heads, and the shills running the whole length of the roof.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    I could have sworn it looks like CE :p

Anyway, it looks much better now. If you plan on bringing it in-game, then you can reduce the tiling even more by using decals.

Although you can get rid of it by adding some nice shadows - trees would be perfect for that. They would also help you convey the size.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you've done pretty well, given the reference you posted. I wasn't expecting the building to be that low to the ground, but now that we see it is, I guess I'm left wanting more. Seems like a whole lot of roofing, but not much else. If it were my scene, I might have used that roof on another building maybe, or taken a little more artistic license with the building itself.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its a great hall from around 1000. during this time, most buildings were dug down into the ground, with a roof covered in earth and grass. the only buildings (that we know of) that were built above ground level is the stave churches.unlike the longhouse which i've made, they were built on top of a rocky fundament, prohibiting the staves from rotting the most amazing building is the wooden stave church borgund:
    36%20kosciol%20stave%20w%20Borgund.JPG
    this church has remained standing since the end of the 12th century, which is incredible for a wooden structure. it pretty much looks exactly like it did 800 years ago, except for some minor details.
    and yeah i wanna model that one too. but later.
    i started on the interior of the great hall:
    inside.jpg
    this is going to be the feasting area.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ooh yeah, stavkirks are awesome! I wanted to model one someday too.
    Did you know a death metal guy, "Burzum", from Norway burned some of those down? I think including one of the oldest ones in Norway?
    What an ass, they are ancient and incredible works of art.

Cool stuff in this thread.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP wrote: »
    Did you know a death metal guy, "Burzum", from Norway burned some of those down? I think including one of the oldest ones in Norway?

Didn't he get stabbed to death in prison by someone from a rival band or something?

Anyways, fascinating building - really amazing craftsmanship. A solid start to your interior, can't wait to see this finished with some dramatic lighting.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP wrote: »
    Ooh yeah, stavkirks are awesome! I wanted to model one someday too.
    What an ass, they are ancient and incredible works of art.

Cool stuff in this thread.

didn't know that, but doing some digging, it was this one:

179992316_38746af1f9_o.jpg

fantoft stavkirke in bergen. it was built in 1150.
    it was rebuilt after the fire.
    and yeah its disgusting when people destroy historic and unique works like this.
    this is the church after the fire:
    279394.jpeg
  • .Murder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan wrote: »
    Didn't he get stabbed to death in prison by someone from a rival band or something?

Anyways, fascinating building - really amazing craftsmanship. A solid start to your interior, can't wait to see this finished with some dramatic lighting.

Burzum was the name of the 'Musical Project' the guy himself was called Varg Vikernes, he was sent to prison for the Murder of
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    and yeah its disgusting when people destroy historic and unique works like this.

this is where it gets complicated, who defines whats history and unique? i totally agree but see no huge difference in the destruction of the Bastille in Paris or the Palace of the Republic in Berlin, time goes on and with it go historic buildings, thats just the way it is

nice work on the longhouse btw :D
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Murder wrote: »
    Burzum was the name of the 'Musical Project' the guy himself was called Varg Vikernes, he was sent to prison for the Murder of
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    this is where it gets complicated, who defines whats history and unique? i totally agree but see no huge difference in the destruction of the Bastille in Paris or the Palace of the Republic in Berlin, time goes on and with it go historic buildings, thats just the way it is

nice work on the longhouse btw :D

imo, the older and more historic a building is, the more irreplaceable it becomes, and as such, the value of it increases, as it becomes a window into our past, instead of "just another building".
    and part of what makes historic buildings more valuable is that they won't last forever.
    of course, it helps that you have a general interest in history as well.
  • swifth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While we´re derailing this: http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/untilthelighttakesus/

Great work btw, hope you get to doing Borgund some day, been there over a dozen times and it´s f´in amazing :D
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    didn't know that, but doing some digging, it was this one:

179992316_38746af1f9_o.jpg

fantoft stavkirke in bergen. it was built in 1150.
    it was rebuilt after the fire.
    this is the church after the fire:
    279394.jpeg

Ive seen this church burning picture before? Didnt Burzum burn this down! Love live Burzum!
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is all i got for today :(

fireplace.jpg
  • W1nd1R
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is very good, I was going to make some viking buildings myself but postponed it. Can we see some wireframes?Is the whole roof geometry ( i mean the tiles and stuf)
    And where is the roasted boar in the hall :P
  • Vonklaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is some interesting stuff! I can't wait to see how it turns out!