Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Medium poly Cannon

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
BeserK polycounter lvl 12
Hey all, brand new here!

I've been working on a small game with a friend of mine... gonna be updating this thread as and when things get finished...
CANNON is first!
C&C need please!

A-thank-ye-very-much

4132 polys
2X 1024 diffuse maps

Mesh-1.jpg

Shot01-1.jpg

Shot02-1.jpg

Shot03-1.jpg

Replies

• brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Welcome to PC!

Would you mind showing you uv/texture maps? I'm sure you could probably fit everything onto one 1024 map.

Other than that, it looks really clean with next to no wear and tear. Also, no spec or normal maps? What platform are you developing for?
  • dv8ix
  • BeserK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the welcome and like!
    This is being developed for P.C. spec and normal maps coming soon!
    Here are the texture and UV maps, I went for two 1024's because the cannon will be viewed close up from most angles

Textures.jpg
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    two 1024 maps for this is excessive
    crit_25.jpg
    two maps for a simple asset like this is dumb in general. move them into one or look like a fool. with two textures, this one asset becomes two draw calls ingame (bad).
  • BeserK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WHOAH!
    Thanks for the crit... This isn't for any AAA or Unreal type engine, it's a casual game a friend and I are making for fun and practice, the cannon will be the central object in the game, and will take up a lot of screen space during play time and (hopefully) in cutscenes.
    If you still think I should take it down to one 1024, then I will give it a try :)
    Thanks again!
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    It's also incredibly clean and brand new for a cannon.
    5_Kelly_with_an_old_cannon.jpg
    Make her a dirty dirty girl.
  • BeserK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BWAAAAA! That's an awesome picture! (Touch the cannon, TOUCH IT)
    I was hoping that the normal map would take care of the pitting, but you're totally right, gotta make her good and filthy!
    THANKS!
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the toilet is 50 meters away
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "WHOA?"

you seemed surprised to get a critique.

"C&C need please!"

?? .. you deflected my suggestion because your asset was just for "fun and practice" - which is it? i don't want to waste my time giving unwanted criticism. all you have to do is say "not looking for critiques" and you'll get that.

if this cannon is the center piece, and you'll be using normal maps, i'd consider making a high poly version. you're practically there with what you have. all you have to do is merge some geometry, adjust some loops, and apply a mesh smooth. not to imply this is a triple A title, or anything. it's just a logical and good practice for these type of assets.
  • BeserK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CRIKEY!
    I'm really glad for the criticism and I wasn't deflecting yours, I was just pointing out that this isn't going to be a game where cutting down on draw calls will make a difference, and I was just a little surpised at the bluntness.
    No disrespect intended man :) (sounds a little passive-aggressive, I know... sorry!)
    I totally agree though, I should get into the habit of using good practice, thanks!
  • BeserK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aw jeez, it changed my ascii smiley into a green one, makes it even WORSE!
    sigh
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    are you calling me fat?!
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Treat every asset as though it was for folio or AAA title, making things for fun quick practice is pointless and will get you nowhere.

Good luck sir.
  • BeserK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OKEY DOKEY!
    Message recieved, good modeling starts NOW!
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    making things for fun quick practice is pointless and will get you nowhere.

well, um, it will get you FUN

jesus, if people like this make games, i don't want to play them

why does anyone make art?

Its fun
    It feels good
    Its nice when others see what you've made
    Its nice when your artwork elicits any kind of emotion whatsoever, be it love, disgust, confusion...

the last fucking thing on the list should be "it pays the bills"

Be a little less douchey and try to enjoy life, because at the end of yours what really matters? The people you touched with your art? The feeling you had when making the art? Or the paycheck that accompanied your art?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Even though he's an obese woman on Midol, I do agree with killingpeople that you should only use one texture for this simple asset. At one 512x512 you can squeeze a lot more detail in the texture than you currently have, even if this asset is viewed closely. I suggest a more hand painted look, don't simply paste flat textures.

If you're planning to use a normal map, the low poly mesh can be much lower. Take away many edges from the detailed rings around the cannon (don't use seperate elements). Save that detail for the high poly normal map.

Spice it up, and don't make excuses. Just because something is casual, doesn't mean it can't look good.

@achillesian: People who create art just for fun and pleasure don't ask for criticism on Polycount. A few digital polygons with an image applied do it isn't automatically a work of art in the way you'd view a classical painting. Here, "art" takes some degree of skill, experience, and effort. If you can't handle it...get a job as a cake decorator.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    well, um, it will get you FUN

jesus, if people like this make games, i don't want to play them

why does anyone make art?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art#Purpose_of_art
    a good read.
  • Shiraz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No reason why a casual game cant look kickass. Good art shouldn't be associated with triple AAA games....
  • BeserK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright! Thanks for all the help, I reckon I'm doing this for the fun AND the cashes... Yeeeeees!
    I shrank down the 1024's to 512's, and it looks the same! Swish!
    Losing the extra poly's however didn't look so good, think I'm gonna put them back... also going to add a "muzzle flash" type thing... COMING SOON!
    CannonLPWire.jpg

CannonLP.jpg
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    ElysiumGX wrote: »

@achillesian: People who create art just for fun and pleasure don't ask for criticism on Polycount. A few digital polygons with an image applied do it isn't automatically a work of art in the way you'd view a classical painting. Here, "art" takes some degree of skill, experience, and effort. If you can't handle it...get a job as a cake decorator.
    I do :). And I'm not a cake decorator. I do wish to improve my art though.

@beserK: did you make a highpoly yet?
  • BeserK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Japhir: Nopes, think I need to? I was just going to make a normal map with mudbox, what do you suggest?
    P.S. I've never made a normal map before :)
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    For a mechanical thing like this I'd definately make the highpoly in your modeling app, and then maybe export it to mudbox to add in dents and such.
    "just make a normal map with mudbox" means your going to make a highpoly ;).
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    well then make sure you read up on the polywiki before you get started then!
    http://wiki.polycount.net/
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    did someone say sampson's cannon texturing tutorial? (sorry bout the audio)
    http://vimeo.com/4976913
  • BeserK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Japhir: I used the "paint normal map" type thing in mudbox, I tried a test map and it came out REALLY messed up, think I'm doing something wrong. Was trying to avoid going high poly, probably a good idea to just go for it though :) thanks!

@butt_sahib: WOW, that's awesome, thanks!

@sampson: HOLY CRAP! How perfect is that, going to download that when I get home! thanks a billion!