Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Battleground W.I.P (Critics needed!)

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
Hello everyone. This is my first thread at Polycount, but I've been lurking around for a while now. I hope I don't break any rule by posting this here, and I would really appreciate it if you guys could help me out with critics and comments!.

I'm on my second year of design study, but when I first signed up I wasn't sure if I wanted to get into the game course or the overall CG course, and I went to the main CG (3D stuff but not meant for games, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc..), but right after finishing my first year I decided I wanted to get into the game course, so I will be changing next year, but until then I'm already collaborating in some group projects with the guys over at the game course!.

With that said, I'm basically completely unaware of many "must" when it comes to designing for games, except for some stuff I've been reading around here. That's where I wish you guys could help me out.. if you see something weird going on, or better ways of making stuff!. Every time I post screens I will add wireframes so hopefully I can get some comments.

Regarding the project itself, it's a 3D action game like God of War, called Madman. The main character's name is Madman as well, and the whole game happens inside one of his various dreams. As of right now we will only do a battleground to have the main character move around and fight against some enemies.

What I have to do exactly is the stage itself. Now, the leader of the group gave me some "must have", which basically can be resumed into:

- Under 10,000 polygons (base stage + all props included)
- If possible, under 10 textures (1024x 512x or 256x depending on objects)
- 'Dreamy' yet realistic look.

Now, he also gave me some wacky "must have" like:

- Have dirty looking red and white tiles on the ground
- Trees! (!?!)

Other than that, he basically said me "surprise me with the results", so here I am now.
It's 5AM now and I have class in 3 hours, so I can't post any content now, but I would like to have this thread up here now. I hope the mods don't mind it not having any pics to show.

I will start modeling today, and post some very simple artwork (if you can call it that) for some of the assets.

I will also need help with the occlusion maps. I know ambient occlusion can be faked with textures, right? I will need to learn that in the next few days!

Anyway, I hope it all goes smoothly and I can learn a lot out of this!.
Also, sorry for my English, it's not my native language (my native on is Spanish, though I'm living in Japan now so I'm not even using that one, but Japanese, so my head is about to explode..).