Home Technical Talk

Building a scene from scratch - about techniques to employ.

Hi everyone,

First i'm sorry for the title of this thread... i didn't find something that would fit the "real" topic. After taking a look at the wiki and particularly the environment art articles, i thought i could ask here...

I'm working on a... sort of demoreel, let's say, with a professional developper (i'm still in high school). It's a full environment done from scratch, using ogre3d for rendering. Well, we're still in early developpement stages... and already need help.

map-e963bb0222.jpg

Here's the base concept (can't show map layouts). In fact, because of the shape of this cliff, we can't use heightmapping. And in fact, it's... a really big thing, like from left to right, it's about 200-300 m long. For now, i've only been a prop modeler on warcry, so i'm not familiar at all with full levels.
The fact is... there's this enormous thing to model, and... there's also a path, which means texture variations. So, which sort of technique should we use for this ? Voxel mapping, like you can see in cryengine 2, and use different rock etc. objects on it ? Or is there another better way to do so ?

Also, i'd like to know if i should do shadow maps for every object or use a precise SSAO ? In actual games like dragon age origin's, Risen etc. the AO always appears on the screen, but there's no AO shader (also appears in low quality mode).
http://img.generation-nt.com/dragon-age-origins-image-58_00425591.jpg

Thanks in advance.

PS : sorry if i've done mistakes, i'm french.