Home General Discussion

WTF

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
What kind of sick perverted individual would design a keyboard with a power button where the printscreen is - and what idiot would buy one?

Me :poly127:

Bang went 4 hours work with a crescendo of 100 unclosable tablet driver windows.

I've now removed the button - should've thought of that sooner - a warning to all.

Replies

• glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    It's not really a warning, if you don't say what make/model the keyboard is! ;P
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    this isn't really about the keyboard, save more than once every 4 hours!
    loads of stuff can kill your pc or reboot you..
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know, my PC reboots after 20 minutes if I leave it alone.

But damn, one button and it's all over

It was some cheap crap from Argos for a fiver - should've know better, but it's a temporary measure , unfortunately my last keyboard went haywire when the left CTRL key started triggering F9 by mistake , can't describe how frustrating that is when it happens randomly.

Probably too much accumulated pizza grease and Marlboro ash.

Photoshop really needs autosave or recover or something. :(
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster wrote: »
    this isn't really about the keyboard, save more than once every 4 hours!
    loads of stuff can kill your pc or reboot you..
    I would have thought this'd be filed under common sense rather than warn-worthy :P

I make a point to save iteratively, and pretty much after every notable change.

Sorry to hear about your loss, Johnny. It usually takes something like this to program that whole save-every-five-minutes thing into artist's brains and muscle memory, though ;) And make backups every week blah blah blah...
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know, I know.. :(

After years of mapping for Unreal I should know by now, goddamit.

I remember a few years of pain before I discovered Shift+G was the instant kill combo for UnrealEd.exe .

BTW - who is so fucking lazy they need a power button on the fucking keyboard, come on - who invented this shit, what marketing wanker decided it'd be a USP not to have to move your arm two feet to the power button on the PC, or twich the mouse three inches to reach the start button...

JESUS!!!1111
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    I save frequently ...but I do get in the zone from time to time and forget to save for 4 hours. They call it "flow". It's awesome... except when you crash afterward.

Do yourself a favor though ...pop the button right out of the keyboard or find the software setting to disable it.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Every time I pause and look at anything and think "That's looking good" I instinctively hit ctrl+s
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Their is a "sleep" button on my key board that I popped out cause I kept hitting it so many times. Life is now stream line.
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    most logitech and microsoft keyboards come with drivers that let you turn buttons like that off. G15 FTW
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    better yet, wtf is up with F lock's!?
    i shouldnt have to race against time to press a buttload (two in this case) of buttons just to get to the boot menu on startup.

has anyone ever accidentally pressed an f key only to result in absolute catastrophe?
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @MikeF lol yeah F Lock is maybe the most retarded button in existence, imo F keys should be on by default and the F lock key should give you the ability to turn them off should you need to for some reason.

On my old keyboard I definately wiped many projects out in the first few minutes of their creation trying to show the wireframe only to fine out my F4 key was the reset key for max...
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    my wireless keyboard has caps lock where alt is on my other keyboard. Very annoying. Re-mapped it to alt.
  • binopittan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what kind of idiot put Win button between Ctrl & Alt button?
    geez.. put Del button there instead!
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/

This should fix all keyboard key problems!
    (except for F-lock-key... I remember having a keyboard with a f-lock-key before and it taught me to NEVER buy a keyboard with that stupid useless key on it again)

Speaking of useless keys, scroll lock AND caps lock are both useless for me. Luckily these are off by default unlike the damn f lock key. But I can see some people having a use for capslock so I dont mind the existence of that one, especially since I can customize it myself anyway. Numlock is always on and is useless too. Whats the point of wasting the LED light power by enabling num lock all the time?
    Keyboard designers for desktop pcs suck.

Apple keyboard designers look like they know what they're doing. Hmm maybe I should buy one.
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    My keyboard where I used to work had a power and sleep button on them(I seemed to be the only one with this type of keyboard there)... after the first accidental shutdown and sleep they were quickly plucked off the keyboard. They made good conversation pieces though as people would wonder why I had button named POWER and SLEEP on my monitor stand.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora wrote: »
    Apple keyboard designers look like they know what they're doing. Hmm maybe I should buy one.
    I've one of the new Apple keyboards.

They're dreamy to type with, but it seems the UK layout is the same as the US layout - I've a lot of keys that're in the wrong place, and I'm typing mostly from memory :P And no "£" pound sign :(

It also has an eject button that doesn't do anything on my PC :D
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    I had this sorta keyboard once, though I think it was sleep rather than power. I removed the keys too, and its cousin function keys which were close. Useless buttons that just mess up the workflow.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mine is the worse layout - but damn, I've done a LOT of shopping for keyboards this past year (they tend to get pounded or snapped in half sometimes ) and it's really hard work (at least in the UK) to find one that hasn't got some crappy ergo-layout wank, misplaced/rotated cursor/home/insert clusters , stupid flat little repurposed laytop keys, or just some stupid "media" buttons from the days when it was hip to call it a "multimedia PC" if it had speakers...

So yeah, as soon as the powerdown incident happened I dug the fucker out with a knife, but I still have Printscreen where the Insert is, etc, with the whole row moved down to accommodate these worthless Power/Sleep buttons.

Ah well, gonna see if I can't find something online which is just a standard layout, standard keysizes, weighs enough and doesn't have stupid little rubber 'media' buttons or some shite.

I'd go for the Logitech if it had normal sized keys and not those weird laptop ones.

Something like this is perfect :

KB-106-LG_200.jpg

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=KB-106-LG&groupid=702&catid=23&subcat=2

These suck :

WTF - what is going on with the cluster above the cursor?

KB-088-LG_200.jpg

FAIL - What's going on here?

KB-137-LG_400.jpg

Who uses these? I can see more wrist strain with this than less..

KB-055-MS_400.jpg

Horrible flat laptop keys :

KB-023-SK_400.jpg
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Hapaned the same to me with this keyboard... easy fix:

2ev4wv7.jpg

Here's my keyboard btw, too bad they don't make these anymore, Its perfect for me.

btc-8190a-bl.jpg
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |Buddy| polycounter lvl 11
    KB-106-LG_200.jpg

I have this one, after 2 years or so, space around tab/capslock/shift/ctrl is almost completely black, almost as if it was burned down, same around space :P

But yeah the keyboard is good anyhow.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Took me a while to find a keyboard I liked too but bought this a couple of years ago and I've never looked for something else. I know some people detest wireless keyboards and mice but tbh I'm not a heavy gamer and the batteries last for ages. Any reason to have less wires is a bonus for me too.

Logitech-1500Internet.jpg
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix wrote: »

FAIL - What's going on here?

KB-137-LG_400.jpg

What do you mean whats going on? It compacts the useless space by putting everything together. Saves desk space, but not as much as the apple ones do by removing the numpad.

I've one of the new Apple keyboards.

Does anyone know if theres any disadvantages to using the USB ports built onto keyboards like on apple's keyboard?
    For some reason I always think these kind of extra ports are less effective in some way even though I've never used them. Would be nice to plug in my wireless mouse receiver on the keyboard, saves using the dedicated receiver-extension that I use to put my receiver right next to my mouse.

edit; btw I found there is a UK version of the keyboard that does have the £ and $ signs where they should be (and more importantly the extra key between left shift and Z); http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB869B/A
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    What do you mean whats going on? It compacts the useless space by putting everything together. Saves desk space, but not as much as the apple ones do by removing the numpad.

Does anyone know if theres any disadvantages to using the USB ports built onto keyboards like on apple's keyboard?
    For some reason I always think these kind of extra ports are less effective in some way even though I've never used them. Would be nice to plug in my wireless mouse receiver on the keyboard, saves using the dedicated receiver-extension that I use to put my receiver right next to my mouse.

edit; btw I found there is a UK version of the keyboard that does have the £ and $ signs where they should be (and more importantly the extra key between left shift and Z); http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB869B/A

Oh... tottaly! Those 1.5cm between keys definitely saves a lot of space on your desk. Who cares about being able to type well, saving a few centimiters ftw!
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] wrote: »
    Oh... tottaly! Those 1.5cm between keys definitely saves a lot of space on your desk. Who cares about being able to type well, saving a few centimiters ftw!

Well the typing keys themselves are actually the same distance away as normal keyboards. The "compacted" stuff are things like the f keys, arrow keys and that block of 6 keys with massive space around them between the numpad and enter key.

None of this actually affects your typing unless you type with those keys (which most people dont) - oh and even if you did type with those keys, compacting them closer will actually end up helping you type quicker since you move less. Win-win situation for the slim design !

There is a same chance of accidently hitting one of the compacted keys on these slim keyboards as there are with mis-hitting any other key on any other regular (non-ergonomic) keyboard layout.
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12

The only disadvantage is slightly slower read and write speeds due to a lower voltage available to the usb plug. But it still works, only some devices that need more power won't run on them, but mouse recievers, and most usb drives work, the larger ones, and externals won't run on them - on a mac it says there isn't enough power for the device.
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    |Buddy| wrote: »
    KB-106-LG_200.jpg

I have this one, after 2 years or so, space around tab/capslock/shift/ctrl is almost completely black, almost as if it was burned down, same around space :P

But yeah the keyboard is good anyhow.

I think that`s just because of your greasy fingers :P /I got one as well btw, I mean the keyboard :)/