Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - MetalMind

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Sam Hatami polycounter lvl 16
Alright here we go...I thought posting here might be good place for me to get some solid progress
Unfortunately I'm quite slow, unlike everyone else here who seem to pump out stuff regularly

A small introduction might be a good start. I've been a great fan of computer arts since I first saw red alert ages ago. I started to toy around with Max R3.1 back in the kinematix days. I never understood what I was doing until 2 years ago (still don't though), I joined Team Blur (www.teamblurgames.com). So in other word I'm just a hobbyist trying to improve myself everyday. Recently I've wanted to post stuff on polycount, but never did, mostly cause I didn't have anything to show.

Anyway, enough talk. I probably won't go back to edit previous work, however, I'm still interested in feedback.

(starting with oldest, bout 1½ month old, to latest)

p2m2uaer.jpg
j2z2yj75.jpg
aaqump5r.jpg
A broken wall test, first low poly is made by O'dium, I made the high poly and new low poly, he finished off with the textures (bad max viewport shot)

wbbrz36z.jpg

bake

bq84usec.jpg

final

xy8cxn55.jpg

I'll post on going wip in next post.

myabe I should go with embeded pics? or perhaps not so large... :P

Replies

• odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    You should post your rocks too.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Good to see you posting dude.
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    MetalMind: cool stuff, persist with it :)

I'd try and push your material definitions a fair bit, the specular seems lacking and would be a good place to start and get quick results. For example the 2nd pic, the rolled up map or whatever, the entire thing looks like it's made from the exact same material, the only difference being the colour. Crank some white into the spec for the buckles and make them shine, especially around the edges to help it stand out more.

For the brick wall, try make things look less uniform, wiggle some of the bricks a bit, nothing is ever perfectly placed. The variety will really help :) It'll give some lighting variation and look less repetitive.

Keep going! :)