Home Contests & Challenges Archives

UC 2009 'END GAME' | End of the Line | 3D

mod
tecta.jpg
Hey guys. Me, Jackwhat, and Sayanora are going to be working on an environment together for the Unearthly Challenge. This is going to be a lot of fun, and a challenge for all three of us. We will be going for a semi-stylized look in both models and textures. As of now we will be focusing on diffuse maps, with Normal maps and Specular maps kept to a minimum. This will be an learning experience for all of us, but it's also something we're looking forward to doing. It is planned to be placed in Unreal Engine 3 as of this time.

Below is our primary concept, followed by a mood board and some more detailed shots to give you a better idea.

hutupdatelolbirds.jpg

moodboard.jpg

topdown_cutaways.jpg

I have started blocking out the scene and building props. I'll post the scene blockout soon.

Thanks for looking!

Replies

• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    here's what's modeled so far: (and no, things are not to scale in this)
    props_wip_1.jpg
    and the rough blockout
    blockout_wip_01.jpg

Jack will probably post here to fill you guys in on our background story behind this, and of course more will be coming soon.

Thanks!
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    i like the planning, very clear structure; however, i would care more about actual buildings first.

As if it were BSPs, u might wanna do them first and figure out large surface textures as well.
    Props, especially realistic posts and wires r more flexible to deal with later ;)
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, are you the Jackwhat that used to do concepts for Human Error?

Just a few comments on the concept. It looks great. I love the color of the sky and the amount of detail you put into it. Also you got your perspective right which I've seen wrong in a few entries. I'm not sure what's ending though. Is the red sky supposed to suggest something? Also I'm not sure why it needs that castle-like building in the distance. It looks nice but it doesn't seem like it adds much to the scene unless it's that Asian building that's taking over the land?

Hopefully you guys can finish! You started a few weeks late. Good luck.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Rought idea behind this is;

A Noir detective theme! You, the Detective, has arrived at this station... the end of the line and hes here for reasons relating to a case hes on! The real world is very similar to ours, its just that there are people who can see the spirit world via bloodline or spectral goggles!

I should probably work on the reasoning and motivation for him being there... something akin to a murder in the spirit world, or some generic evildooer.

Think of it something similar to Max Payne meets Spirited away.

- Zip im one and the same! I kinda disappeared from HE a while ago for no specific reason, my bad. I guess if the image isnt that clear to you then im not doing something quite right, but then again the mystery of it being there is part of its charm and point i guess. Its meant to look out of place as its not visible to normal people!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Matroskin wrote: »
    i like the planning, very clear structure; however, i would care more about actual buildings first.

As if it were BSPs, u might wanna do them first and figure out large surface textures as well.
    Props, especially realistic posts and wires r more flexible to deal with later ;)

hey - yeah, that's a good idea, I'll work on the bigger shapes and buildings first haha. didn't have much time the first night but still wanted to get some done. I plan to work on it some more tonight and tomorrow and will have more to show soon.

there's definitely going to be some stylization going on with all the objects after the first pass of them is done.

jack will be bustin' out some more concepts of some of the props when he gets a chance to give you all a better idea of the style and direction it will take eventually, and Sayanora is helping me out with more of the bigger shapes.

more coming soon, thanks guys!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    small update:
    wip_props_02.png

just a couple new props there.
    we've been trying to decide on a texture style for how we imagined this scene -
    it looks like we'll be going with a TF2 meets wow vibe, strong emphasis on diffuse.

I'll let either saya or jack indulge you on that though, we should have some examples to show as well I believe.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    or Borderlands style ;)
    Pretty fascinating style, even without the outline.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Jackwhat wrote: »

- Zip im one and the same! I kinda disappeared from HE a while ago for no specific reason, my bad. I guess if the image isnt that clear to you then im not doing something quite right, but then again the mystery of it being there is part of its charm and point i guess. Its meant to look out of place as its not visible to normal people!

I left HE a while ago too so don't feel bad.

It's a nice idea, but I don't think everyone will get it. Also what does it have to do with end game? I don't think you should do a generic bomb in the distance but something a bit more obvious while still being mysterious would be good. It's your entry though so you can do what you want, just trying to help out!