Home Technical Talk

Best way to model these gun parts?

Hi there,

I'm about to start modeling the high poly of an UZI and before I start, I was wondering how I could best achieve these areas.

The first is the knurled texture in the areas I've noted in the image. I haven't got a clue how to go about this. I was planning on using an image based normal map from Crazybump overlaid on the baked normal map but I'd rather know how it would be done in 3D.

71021155.jpg

The second is the ridges on the handle. I was thinking maybe add loops around the handle then doing an edge-to-spline to get the contour around the handle, then tweaking the length of each spline and either using spline rendering or a sweep. But if there's a better/quicker way then please do point it out.

25191675.jpg

I'm downloading Racer445's weapon tut as I know he gets the knurled effect on the handle, but it's taking a while to download so I thought I'd ask here first.

Many thanks

Replies

• Stickmoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think Racer445 did it in the normal map after the high poly was baked
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heres a little gif for the knurling in modo, should translate well to any app tho

diamond.gif
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2tLQk.jpg

In max: create plane, make two cuts corner-to-corner so you have an X with a vertex in the middle. Pull it up to make a pyramid, extrude a skirt around the base, bevel all edges once, array out to (in my case) 20x200 grid. Attach and weld verts, bend 360 degrees, drop another edit poly to weld the seam cap the top, and inset the top poly once, then turbosmooth.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Some people leave this small details for after the baking, they just do them on PS.

Personally, I prefer to model everything on the high poly, even small detail like these. Most of the time, is not as difficult as it looks, sub-d is pretty much a bunch of repetition. Plus, you practice modelling :)

Of course, it depends on how much time you got. If you got time to fiddle around the high poly, just do it. in the end, it pays of.
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eq please tell me you didn't select all those verts by hand before chamfering them and that modo has a "select every other vert" tool or something?
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    modo has everything. and if it doesn't seneca probably made a script for it.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the replies!

Eq, that's awesome, I completely forgot about chamfering vertices. I was thinking 'hmm if I could get a diamond pattern going on then I could figure it out from there' then saw your post and it all became clear!

Glib, your method rocks too, and having two ways to do it should allow me to knurl whatever the hell I want without problem!

And yes, I was also wondering whether you hand selected every vert on that cylinder :O

Thanks again to all who replied.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Is there a way to specify the selection of every other vertex in Max? I tried glib's way to test the process for myself, and found that even using 'display as box' in array preview mode and using instances, that this method is quite memory-intensive.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Max hates large numbers of objects. Try doing it in pieces: Array down to 20, combine, then array out to 10, combine, then array out 20, then combine.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Also: note the difference, EQ is doing the rotated pattern, while glib's is just straight rows of pyramids.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice EQ thats pretty smart.

The first question should probably be, are you going to give low poly UV layout enough space to actually capture those details?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frubes wrote: »
    Eq please tell me you didn't select all those verts by hand before chamfering them and that modo has a "select every other vert" tool or something?

Modo has a "repeat selection" function, so you select 1 vert, then select the 2nd, and just hold down the left arrow key and it will continue that selection. Then go up to the next row of verts and do the same.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Modo has a "repeat selection" function, so you select 1 vert, then select the 2nd, and just hold down the left arrow key and it will continue that selection. Then go up to the next row of verts and do the same.

All I can say at this point is Max could really use a function like this. I'm sure there's probably an easier way to do it than hand select every other vert, but if there is... I don't know it.

And Vig, you make a good point. The answer to that question at this stage is, I honestly have no idea. My level of experience isn't at a point where I know how well details will bake in regards to their UV occupancy, but I was gonna go for a 'try it and find out' method on this one! I've exaggerated the knurled areas somewhat and hopefully it will show up on the bake.

Thanks again for the replies.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer wrote: »
    Also: note the difference, EQ is doing the rotated pattern, while glib's is just straight rows of pyramids.

Ooops.

Okay okay, rotate the pyramid 45 degrees before doing the arrays.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Honestly for those details I would do it post baking, those adjustment knobs are often used to adjust sights etc thus worn down in the middle typically. Thus you can mimic this effect by using opacity gradient to blend out the fade and then apply the normal on top of the bake.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    It depends on how much time I have on a project. I much prefer to model them, though.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it can be pretty fast to model, with only a few rows(like less than 10) its less than a minute to whip one of those up for me, so not really saving a lot of time fiddling with creating the pattern, getting the scale right, lining it up correctly, dealing with any seams etc in ps, and finally generating the normals, all of which could take a lot longer than a minute =)

you could also paint a little 127,127,255 blue over some of the diamonds to mimic the rubbing effect as well in your normals
  • Bryan Cavett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bryan Cavett polycounter lvl 19
    Funny I wrote some selection scripts to act like XSI's adjacent selection functions today and you can make this object pretty fast in max now if anyone wants to use them.

Here are the steps to make something like EQ's result with modo in Max without much effort.

1. Create a cylinder with height:30 radius:30 heightsegs:10 sides:60
    2. Select one vert and run the "Select Adjacent Verts" script until every other vert is selected.
    3. Chamfer those verts with the amount of 2.5.
    4. Run the "Frame Selected Elements" script once.
    5. Run the "Select Adjacent Polys" script once.
    6. Invert Selection.
    7. Bevel the selected polygons with height: 1.0 outline: -1.0
    8. Select every edge
    9. Chamfer the edges with a value of 0.15.
    10. Select the top and bottom polys.
    11. Inset the polys with a value of 1.0 twice.
    12. Add a turbosmooth modifier.

and here are the scripts:
    http://www.bryancavett.com/maxscripts/adjacent_Selections.ms

They should show up under the "BCTools" category.

adjacent_Selections.gif
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome. Thanks, Bryan.
  • kinesis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for that scripts should come in handy.
  • Bryan Cavett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bryan Cavett polycounter lvl 19
    No Problem guys.

I found a small typo and made the adj_Polys script much faster for selecting polys in a dense mesh.

Re download it if you already have it.

• Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Many thanks for the further replies and especially for that script Bryan, a great help!

Right, back to the model! I'll get a WIP up soon.
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    natetheartist polycounter lvl 9
    seems simple enough, any luck with the handle though?
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is how I've done the handle grip, it may not be the most efficient or best way but it worked out pretty nice.

Duplicate handle with TurboSmooth and drop it to an editable poly.

Select edges where raised parts are, or as close as possible.

Create spline from edge selection.

Make spline renderable with radial profile.

Tweak length / shape of splines if necessary.
  • .Murder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can anyone write a version of that script for maya?
  • lloyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funny I wrote some selection scripts to act like XSI's adjacent selection functions today and you can make this object pretty fast in max now if anyone wants to use them.

Here are the steps to make something like EQ's result with modo in Max without much effort.

1. Create a cylinder with height:30 radius:30 heightsegs:10 sides:60
    2. Select one vert and run the "Select Adjacent Verts" script until every other vert is selected.
    3. Chamfer those verts with the amount of 2.5.
    4. Run the "Frame Selected Elements" script once.
    5. Run the "Select Adjacent Polys" script once.
    6. Invert Selection.
    7. Bevel the selected polygons with height: 1.0 outline: -1.0
    8. Select every edge
    9. Chamfer the edges with a value of 0.15.
    10. Select the top and bottom polys.
    11. Inset the polys with a value of 1.0 twice.
    12. Add a turbosmooth modifier.

and here are the scripts:

They should show up under the "BCTools" category.

adjacent_Selections.gif

Thanks Bryan, This way of knurling is great!

[I know I've necrod this topic but its actually a really good tut and still relevant]
  • ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieWells polycounter lvl 12
    Bryan is awesome!!!!! ;)
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the script broham!
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    anything to do this in maya?
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    seems simple enough, any luck with the handle though?

For the handle i'd go with zbrush + projection master ... i saw a tutorial about this or something similar over at zbrushcentral.