Home General Discussion

For those that Work from Home

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
Hey, I was hoping to get some opinions from some of you freelancers / indies / other people that work from home...

My girlfriend and I have been talking a lot lately about looking into finding a nice office that we can rent and getting a bunch of other freelancers and such together to share. Basically, the idea is that people can rent desk space and we set up a nice workspace to work in.

The reason being that we are both a bit tired of working in our apartments, and coffee shops are nice for a while, but it'd be kind of nice to have an actual work environment. We also figured that it could provide people with a business mailing address as well as a sort of support network. We sort of looking at setting it up in a similar way to an artist's studio.

We have figured it out that we can probably find space that will cost around $150/month in downtown Vancouver.

So, for anyone who does or has worked at home, would this kind of thing appeal? If so, is $150 bucks a month something you'd be willing to pay?

(And if you are interested and live in Vancouver, let me know!)

Replies

• Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Damn I know if I was around that area I would be all over this. Working at home with a wife and 2 children can be VERY hard at times.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    This is something I've given a lot of thought over the past couple years. Some freelance friends of mine have done it as well. I ended up joining a company full time to get out of my house and get some medical benefits instead. It's expensive and people/freelancers can be a bit unreliable. It's just the nature of contract work.

How many people would be putting 150 in? How big would the office be? Are there any other benefits like shared office copy/fax machine, meeting room, or receptionist? What part of town?

Make sure to have everyone sign and understand an agreement!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    150 sounds cheap as hell for an office space. I'd do it if I was doing freelance.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Guess it depends on what kind of NDA's you might have signed for specific contracts, if any.
    Really cool idea, though!
  • thatnumpty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond wrote: »
    Guess it depends on what kind of NDA's you might have signed for specific contracts, if any.
    Really cool idea, though!

this

and dudes possibly hijacking your gig?
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Man, if i were freelancing still, I'd be all over this idea. One of the biggest reasons why I went back to a studio is that I would go days without ever saying anything...like realizing at 7pm that you haven't uttered a word all day. That's fucked up.

Like Tyler mentioned, I'd be interested to know where you're looking around Van...150 seems pretty cheap, I imagine it'd be a smaller room shared with people?

Gav
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, great to see that there is some interest!

Tyler - thanks for the thoughts and advice. We are definitly going to be drawing up a good contract if we do it. It was my first worry as well.

We would be looking into some of the other stuff you mentioned. Part of the plan is to hopefully set it up in a sort of co-op manner. So we all pay our 150 bucks a month, use any left overs for upgrades/mutally beneficial stuff, and if we feel the need for something we can pool our money together. We do want to start with some things though, coffee machine and printer/scanner forsure. A receptionist would be great. Meeting room is something I've been thinking on as well, because it could be quite important if someone wants to meet a client.

As for location, this is for right downtown vancouver, 6-8 people. We're going to look at a couple of places today, but so far it looks like it should be manageable to get 6-8 people a decent office for that price. :)

And yea, the NDA thing came up as well. I was thinking about it, and realized it shouldn't be a problem, but I'd love to hear some more thoughts on this. But in my experience freelance work is given under the impression that you will not show anyone your work, but not that you will work at home. As long as the office is set up in a way that allows people who are under NDA to have privacy in who views their monitors, it shouldn't be a problem? (I know freelancers who work at coffee shops and shit, so I figure that this sort of thing should be alright?)

Anyways, love to hear more thought! This is definitely encouraging though. :)
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    i think it is a great idea. like jesse said, wife and kids around make it really, really hard to get anything done.

gav... wow man... that does sound totally screwed up... i would lose my mind if i realized i hadn't said a single word in a twelve hour period

so does that 150 include utilities and power? toss a bunch of powerful computers in there, and you may see a difference in the light bill. you'd have to keep hours restrictive to keep costs down as well. just talking out loud... not sure if that those issues are even issues, but something to always think of... people always say you can own a home for $XXXXXX but that doesn't include all the other stuff like basic bills and maintenence that would need to happen regularly... cleaning service for the bathroom is a must... give it two weeks, and everyone will be taking a trip to tim horton's to drop the kids off at the pool everyday. i think your "everyone pay $150" is a better option instead of splitting to cost up, at least at first. however, investing your contributor/user money into something may mentally help the people that you work with help take care of the place on a rotational basis or something so you wouldn't have to pay for someone to clean the floors or bathroom or take out the garbage. but then you get into that "when i leave, do i get my money back?" issue......
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Get insurance and off-site backups. I am wary of the idea of leaving personal computer equipment like that. Things like this never work out for me, there's always that one messy asshole who never cleans up after himself and blasts his music over his headphones and talks loud on the phone.

Get one that has a bathroom down the hall where the manger cleans and supplies. If you can find one with a common kitchen area, even better. Stock your stuff in your office, go down the hall and cook yer food. You don't want some tool with durian stinking up YOUR office. Try to get the fastest internet connection you can afford. Be prepared for flakes.

Who's gonna watch, manage, collect, pay bills, spend the money each month? If money can break of a marriage where two people are sexing each other, it will break up a bunch of eccentric artist in a heartbeat. So be careful.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Fuuuck thats a cool idea.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Lamont has some good advice. It's a cool idea, but somebody is going to have to be the boss/landlord and keep the thing going in case people leave or don't pay. Assume everyone else will flake, but, like roommates, try and get good people to make commitments and it could work out very well. I always thought that if I was at a studio that went bust I might try and organize the remaining artists into a similar thing. If it goes very well, you could even form a team, organize into a larger contracting force that can negotiate larger freelance art contracts, which means more money for everyone.
  • jipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe polycounter lvl 17
    The idea you're proposing actually has a name already... "coworking".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coworking

A number of cities appear to have at least one location... a quick google for Vancouver shows at least a few. Unfortunately one (WorkSpace) closed back in August :/
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    This is an awesome idea (first time I've heard of it). Glad you're in Vancouver.:)

I'm only working my first freelance(modeling) gig right now, but if work gets more consistent I would definitely consider this. For me, there would be a lot of additional costs on top to get started., such as a new Laptop/second PC and Transit. As well, I like to work at any time of night or day, how would the hours of the place work? I guess it would not be much for me to reschedule my sleep patterns.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I love this idea. I work from home as a freelance artist and a custom painter. And sitting in front of the computer or paintbooth by myself all day every day gets very lonesome. I'm love to do my freelance work with in the same office as other freelancers.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    if you are NOT married, its great, if you are dont do it! thats my oppinion
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Stealing could really be an issue, Best solution I see, "owner" comes in at 6am or whenever agreed and opens the place up 30 minutes before everyone else gets there, and then closes. Issues I see with that are if people that are near deadlines.

Are you going to be putting up cubicles?

You should have ask people in that want to pitch in extra money to save for a 3D printer/scanner for the group.

It'd be nice to set up a server to host/share assests.

How much will the internet cost?

Who will provide desks chairs? or is it BYO?
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Working from home is awesome! Who needs an office?
  • charger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    charger polycounter lvl 18
    Tried to organize something like this a few times. But unfortunately it was way to difficult to manage.

Trouble I ran into (maybe you can learn from it :P).
    - It took all my time, which made it impossible to do my freelance work. People mailed, phoned me all day with (stupid) questions.
    - Multiple people managing = getting conflicts
    - Everybody wants something different, bigger space, coffee machine, etc, etc.
    - Money is a big problem, I never want to be in charge of that ever again.

I put a lot of effort in trying to make it work. found an office space for like 300$ (total), the space was big enough to hold like 15 people (that makes 20$ per person) but I only had 6 and like 6 on hold. 50$ for an office space is still cheap but people did not want to take the risk as many of them just started as a freelancer.

I always realized that these things are not really a big deal, but for some reason even those things get big. So I guess my advice = Be very sure what you are getting yourself into, its gonna take a lot of time! which brings me to the next advice, get somebody else to do it as soon as possible!!

Which you the best of luck, because it still sounds like a really cool idea!!! so do go for it!!
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I very much would like something like this. I attempted something similar at a local art school where you could rent studio space. Helped, but they kicked me out after two months as they thought it gave the school a bad name with a CG artist mixed with traditional.

The NDA does pose a problem. Exactly because I would want feedback. A second pair of eyes. That or what if you have a problem you want to ask someone about more experienced in a area than you? Having to hide your work from one another seems somewhat counterproductive to at least what I would want out of such a social situation.

Could the setting be a outsourcing art group in name only? Meaning you have one established name that all the contracts for all the different indies and freelancers work under. So there is only one NDA to sign for each project, and people involved with each one don't have to worry about having to hide what they are working on from one another. I guess at that point though, it would be more a co-op.
  • peppi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peppi polycounter lvl 18
    I've been in a shared off
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav: I used to have to do acting mouth exercises before answering the phone or making a call otherwise I'd forget how to talk properly. Fumbling with words. Red leather, yellow leather, red leather, yellow leather...

Tulkamir: What I was saying about the receptionist etc.. There are office spaces in Vancouver that offer shared resources like that. So you have an office with 10 rooms or whatever. All these rooms share a copy/fax, receptionist, meeting room, kitchen(?). The price tag goes up. So it depends how much business you're doing.

Friends of mine rented part of an office on Granville Island from another company. It worked alright but didn't really have any amenities and was still a bit expensive.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Provided freelancing stays in the area and isn't shipped off overseas some place it sounds viable. I like the idea, just not sure the shrinking niche market would pull in enough to pay for itself?
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    We all live in Per's basement...and johny's feet stink...
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    Provided freelancing stays in the area and isn't shipped off overseas some place it sounds viable. I like the idea, just not sure the shrinking niche market would pull in enough to pay for itself?

Heh yea ...better to try your hand at indy development these days there's no doubt. But that qualifies as well as working from home :)
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    I might be down for something like that... an indie studio nearby may have let me work in their offices. The social aspect would be awesome. But NDAs and the commute are discouraging factors.

I moved into my younger brother's place a few weeks ago and he has been talking pretty seriously about buying a bus and converting it into an RV to travel around in for a while. My brother works as a foreman/roofer for a company that usually has jobs out of state available where they not only pay for his labor, but give him comp for food and rent. When his lease ends here in a few months, he'd like me to go with him. We'd get some kind of affordable on-the-road internet solution and live and work out of this bus converted into an RV. I'd much rather live in a building, personally. But, who knows? It might be a lot of fun...
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    that sounds mildly insane kp. But awesome. Do it.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, thanks for all the replies and advice! I think we will definitely be looking farther into this. We checked around some and there were no coworking things around vancouver that looked good for us, but its great to know that there is some precedent established.

It definitely sounds like there will be a lot to look into, but I think it could be worth it.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I might be down for something like that... an indie studio nearby may have let me work in their offices. The social aspect would be awesome. But NDAs and the commute are discouraging factors.

I moved into my younger brother's place a few weeks ago and he has been talking pretty seriously about buying a bus and converting it into an RV to travel around in for a while. My brother works as a foreman/roofer for a company that usually has jobs out of state available where they not only pay for his labor, but give him comp for food and rent. When his lease ends here in a few months, he'd like me to go with him. We'd get some kind of affordable on-the-road internet solution and live and work out of this bus converted into an RV. I'd much rather live in a building, personally. But, who knows? It might be a lot of fun...

Someone on here did just that. He now is a head artist. Damn though, really cool guy (and willing to let people look at his rigs/models to see how done), but I have a memory like a sieve with names. Anyhow he hung around outside of Tucson doing that living out of a truck If I remember correctly.

::::

Hey another bonus to all this. Since the freelancers will be seeing at least what each job entails, they can help each other with a early warning system about staying or working with X company. Something they would otherwise be afraid to share online.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    i see this turning into "hobo game studios" a few year down the road :D

sounds like a great experience to me more than something you do to make a lot of cash money's

i say go for it!