Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    You doing it this year?
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    OMG I'm so far behind i can't even feel my face.

Been slammed with work lately and haven't had a chance to do this... and likely won't be able to finish before I go to china, but here goes...

Completely totally changed the design idea behind my thing (like anyone remembers or cares) :) lol.

Doing a forest, as part of finishing this thing successfully is all about scope management. I can model/texture organic stuff pretty quickly.

Play to your strengths/do something different?

So here goes... Did a thumbnail of what I'm going to attempt for this challenge. Words words words... now picture.

Concept_01_forest.jpg

Thoughts?
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds badass man! That is way further then where I am at. I am going to spend the majority of the week getting a solid concept down. I have been looking at loads of concepts trying to find the right inspiration. Can't wait to see your stuff man, I just subscribed to your thread. Good Luck
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man, appreciate the support.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    added quick painting of scene i'll be doing. Moving on to final concept.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the concept painting.

worked this up from the above thumbnail... still a lot to figure out

Thoughts? I don't do concept art a lot, so please rip this apart so i can get better. I've gotten a lot of great feedback from the concept artist i work with, but hungry for more.

Cheers

Concept_03_forest.jpg
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn... is this too hard to see? for some reason the image is much darker in the psot than it is in phtoshop... adjusting the levels in photoshop makes it look like crap though lol

errmm... brightening the image did nothing good. lol... help with this anyone?

hrmm... saving it for web in photoshop worked better.. but still looks like it's being color corrected...
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok... i know this is fast update stuff... but here goes

Concept_04_forest.jpg
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Sweet concept man. Loving the haze and atmosphere.

It's a great concept as a jungle environment but i'm struggling to get the "End Game" in it. Is there something you could add to this to give it more of a ending feel?

The glow from the tree is obviously the focal point. You might have an idea of what it is already which might help you decide on how to better illustrate "end game". I have 2 ideas what it might be. Firstly its a magical tree about to explode or something and secondly its a meteorite (or alien craft) that has crashed through the forest (hense the broken trees in foreground) and imbedded itself in the tree

Anyhoo...Keep it coming :)
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    probably would have been a good decision to post more thumbnails sooner so peeps could give more feedback... rather than posting 1 and hoping for the best lol.

Good points, I want to stay away from explosions and meteors or drop pods or any of that stuff... the challenge is filled with them already.

But i hear what you're sayin. I will try to get more end game in the scene.
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like that you are not doing explosions meteor or destoryed cities. It is nice to see something different from what a lot of what other people are doing. The concept is really awesome and I just want to throw this out there. What do you think about removing that piece in the middle and opening it up a bit. Or maybe putting it behind the path. To me it feels a little crowded and busy. I think that it would give a nice "relieving feeling" to the sence if that makes sence. Any ways looks great man!
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestion and feedback Orgoth

Definitely agree with the tightness of the space comment. I will address this in the scene. This being a concept painting and not a layout design, I can do that pretty easily.

Thanks again chief
  • Bbox85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    intruder!!!!!!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    This is lookin' super. Sure you don't want to just go 2d? Haven't seen much in that area and this could be a real contender!
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OMG! bbox... i love you. HAHAHAHA I have no words

Thanks fingers for the kind words. I've already entered as a 3d... i don't think I can change my entry...

I didn't think I was going to be able to do a very good 2d painting... but with the help of my concept artist friend, it turned out ok... I dont' go to China for an additional week, so I will have time to do the 3D portion I think.
  • Joyal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joyal null
    OMG that little dude in the woods reminds me of some good times.!
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    The concept looks great! Only complaint is that the foreground looks a little bit pixelated and undetailed. It's kept too much in the dark in my opinion. The rest of the scene is very detailed and beautifully lit. It'd be nice if the foreground was more like that instead of being shoved in the dark.

Good luck finishing all you're 3D in one week! Seems like a good challenge, I wouldn't have taken the risk though!
  • Bbox85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Orgoth02 wrote: »
    intruder!!!!!!

lol'd
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry guys, I have once again under estimated my ability to take on way too much work. :)

Preparing for this trip and social events have taken priority this past week.

Good luck to everyone, and I'll hopefully be able to see what hppens with the comp from China. :)

w00t!