Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Nick Barone

Hey guy was looking for all critiques from my site to my work. Trying to get a job as a 3d artist, preferably Environmental Artist. Thanks

www.nicksvoid.com

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Your work looks pretty nice, but get rid of that home page. I almost thought your site was just a mock up of how you wanted it to look, with no actual links, untill I started randomly clicking on things and found the portfolio section.

As a rule, Always put your art work on the first page. In other words, ideally you will be smacked in the face with your art, once you enter the site.

As for your presentation, you don't really have breakdowns for any of your work. Employers need to see polycounts, texture sheets, and wire frames for all your stuff. Ideally, these game objects will be displayed in a game engine, and have a brief description.

Lastly, any non-Game art should be separated from your game art. You might even consider not showing non-game art related work as it is irrelevant to game studios, but it's up to you I guess. The fancy renders look nice, but are distracting from the all important game art.

Good luck with the job hunt man!
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    LOL you have a bunch of pictures on your home page, so I kept trying to click on those. How are they not links to bigger versions? Or at LEAST a link to the portfolio section?

I'd lose the homepage all together though.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your the second person to tell me that, home splash page is toast, Should i link it directly to the portfolio page as home index?

I think your right too, i need to do more breakdowns of the actual images. Thanks
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    What Tumorboy said - The site looks nice other then that. Also get rid of where it says Environments // Objects // Lighting - that stuff is assumed when you say Environment Artist.

Maybe center your name and title.

Put your phone number on the contact page. The idea is to make yourself as approachable as possible. Make sure your info is easy to find - it should NOT be a hunt

Put polycount / object information on your images or somewhere that it can be seen. Get rid of the monitor object. Show your texture flats.

The scale of the tile in the kitchen scene really destroys the sense of size. Think about making it tile more.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont know if its rude to say this but i think its what an employer would think.
    You studied this and this is everything u have? And the best of it?
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    I would make that first image of all those pictures link to your gallery.

Also keep your game stuff together and put your arch viz and car stuff someplace else.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Disco Stu wrote: »
    I dont know if its rude to say this but i think its what an employer would think.
    You studied this and this is everything u have? And the best of it?

what do you mean? I studied this? If you mean my work sucks can you be more descriptive please? Textures need work, modeling needs work, lighting ... please elaborate
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah shure im sorry.
    1: Hospital normal/ zombymode
    The hallway is looking pretty odd and very cuby.
    They are both lit very even and pretty boring.
    The textures feel very procedural and especially the paper on the floor of zombymode is
    very blurry and flat.
    2: Again very cuby and weird scale.
    The camera position is again very frontal and everything is evenly lit.
    3: procedural cuby evenly lit.
    4: Procedural textured evenly lit. The difference is that the cubes are arranged in a circle. Stargate font as if it were some portal.
    5: Car in garage. Image not found error.
    6: The 350 Bubble Style. I guess its supposed to be a modded stylish version but it
    looks a little weird and off scale. Lightning isnt very good.
    7: Sci fi crate. You strongerst work texture wise. Still a scene in this quality would be
    more what one would expect.
    8: House looks ok same as with the crate tho.
    9: Your screen. Looks ok.
  • imperator_dk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imperator_dk polycounter lvl 10
    If your portfolio is for a games company, do not include those architectural visualization renders, we sift through sooo many of those and they just put you off. Only show what you would consider game art, and show WAY more of it, 1½ room is not gonna cut it. Show wireframes, textures, in engine shots everything.

Proportions on your hallway environment are way off, one of the most important qualities in an environment artist (and with that i mean an artist that can build cohesive environments , not just props) is a sense of proportion, structure and making stuff feel "right". This is generally practiced by looking at lots and lots of references, and thinking about why stuff is built like its built, form follows function.

Secondly you need to show artisan skill, more zbrush, more photoshop texture work.

Don't say that your competencies include lighting, if you don't have anything to show for it in the portfolio. If you can light then show some more interestingly lit scenes.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all guys, i can take all criticism especially negative, i view it as a learning experience for me to grow on. I completely agree about my geometry being flat, i need to pick more interesting objects. Any recommendations on a good object to work on?

I'm going to redo my website, would it be a good idea to have seperate catagories? One for game art and one for Arch Viz cause im applying for both industries.

Do you guys recommend sticking to smaller more detailed assets, or small environments equally as detailed?