Home General Discussion

Gun Knowledge

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
MikeF polycounter lvl 19
So, thought just occured to me a minute ago....
I see a lot of people on the forums able to very acurately pick apart exactly whats wrong with a work in progress gun model, and they seem to be very knowledgeable about the workings and precise pieces. So my question if you are knowledgeable in the area, is it due to actual hands on experience with guns or is it knowledge gained through video games and curiosity to read up on things?

I ask just because i see this happen quite a bit when someone posts a gun for critique, and i started to think that all of my basic knowledge (type of gun, model, type or round, just basics) is straight out of video games and research when 'im bored

Replies

• dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    MikeF wrote: »
    So, thought just occured to me a minute ago....
    I see a lot of people on the forums able to very acurately pick apart exactly whats wrong with a work in progress gun model, and they seem to be very knowledgeable about the workings and precise pieces. So my question if you are knowledgeable in the area, is it due to actual hands on experience with guns or is it knowledge gained through video games and curiosity to read up on things?

I ask just because i see this happen quite a bit when someone posts a gun for critique, and i started to think that all of my basic knowledge (type of gun, model, type or round, just basics) is straight out of video games and research when 'im bored

hands-on experience(military draft), work experience(military simulator), and general interest.
    lots of web searching too.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Ha ha... well I can say that currently I am working on a gun, and I know NOTHING about guns (I hate them). But for me... I just gather as much reference as I can, because the less I know, the more I need :P

Good question, I've always wondered this myself.
  • RedRogueXIII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedRogueXIII polycounter lvl 16
    I started working with 3D by making models intended as skin replacements for weapons in source engine games. I've spent plenty of time web searching weapon information and references in order to get a better understanding of how to create a more realistic 3d art asset. I play fps games mostly so I mostly create guns for the games I'm playing. That said, it looks like I need to buy some different types of games.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A childhood packed with actionmovies
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    Personally I have gained quite a bit of gun knowledge just through the course of game development. I've learned quite a bit about how they're made, how they work, and how to use them just through general research for both modeling and animation.

However, this is a good question because i do have quite a few friends who are in the industry and just happen to be gun nuts or have some crazy gun knowledge for seemingly no reason, and I too found this to be rather curious.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i fired a 22 rifle once
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Observant, reference whores.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    probably americans :D
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea because we're the only ones that can type "blab abla gun" into an image search.

Most of the time when I critique a gun it goes something like this:
    "Congratulations in your rush to finish something you completely forgot one of the most important steps that requires the least amount of effort!"
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    Worked with the Australian Military in the Past, handled several types of weapons.
    Own some too.

Never research material from other video games or 3d models...
    if possible visit gunshops or hunt around the internet..
    theres dozens of gunsites.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Disco Stu wrote: »
    probably americans :D

whereas germans are the go-to guys for ovens.

Knowing how something works is, in my mind, intrinsic to knowing how to make a good version of one. Knowing the underlying mechanics of the real world stuff lets you know where to change things for a fantasy gun. The same thing goes for cars, for tanks, for planes, etc.

Oftentimes people with some passing familiarity with these sorts of things may not understand why something looks wrong when it is missing X, but they'll know that something looks off. If someone saw a plane with a flat front, they may not be able to tell you how that affects the aerodynamics but they'd know it was off. Same thing with a gun that is missing the bolt or has the ejection port away from the receiver.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    cman2k wrote: »
    However, this is a good question because i do have quite a few friends who are in the industry and just happen to be gun nuts or have some crazy gun knowledge for seemingly no reason, and I too found this to be rather curious.

I can claim to be one of Carlos' friends who happens to have an inordinate knowledge of guns and their workings.

I have some experience with real guns, I also collected Airsoft guns for a long time (still have many) But mostly it's just interest. I don't really know why, but I have been fascinated by the workings of guns since I was a young child, so even if I hadn't played with guns, I would probably still understand how they work, because I find it interesting.

Also, this
    Knowing how something works is, in my mind, intrinsic to knowing how to make a good version of one. Knowing the underlying mechanics of the real world stuff lets you know where to change things for a fantasy gun. The same thing goes for cars, for tanks, for planes, etc.

While Guns are probably what I have spent the most time learning about the inner workings of, I do the same for any type of mechanical piece I'm working on. At work, I am often the one who is advocating to make something more functional. I understand trying to make things more fantastic, but it always bugs me when it's Fantastic and ridiculously broken. I much prefer Fantastically Functional.

Also, http://world.guns.ru
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 16
    actually i wonder where this obsession comes from. cant stand seeing such stuff all the time - its such an overdone subject. so yeah guns are lame.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah siemens makes fine ovens.
    I personally prefer the aga my granddad had in his house in ireland tho ;).
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    interest in military history lead to research until I was old enough (IL laws, where I grew up) to rent and shoot pistols on my own (never had a range or the land for shotguns or large caliber rifles in IL sadly).

So personal experience, research, and love of understanding all things mechanical (deconstructing and understand the workings of machines ftw) for me
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    The same way i picked up knowledge of anatomy, architecture (not much, still working on it), fantasy cliches, clothing, and other armor and weapons -- i want to be an illustrator, it seems ridiculous not to learn about common subjects of mainstream art.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've learned a fair amount about guns while we were developing the workings of our futuristic ones for a mod I was on. The inner workings of technical things always fascinates me. That and lots of Counter-Strike. Only ever fired a ye olde shotgun while clay pigeon shooting.

That said, I'm not one for anally picking apart gun models with gnat's ball-hair scale inaccuracies. Unless they're awesome futuristic/made up guns (like EQ made) gun models tend to bore me stupid.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I fired a .454 Casull when I was a youngster, I automagically went through puberty.

I never modeled a gun (except a microwave gun for a mod) I should have a go
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    Personally I just got fed up with seeing deformed, inaccurate guns being modeled so often, with proportion and detail issues that were so easy to fix, but so often left alone. These models were also commonly accompanied by textures that looked a lot like stone.

It also may be because I started out doing the same thing as Redrouge at the same websites. The other artists there were huge gun nuts and every detail needed to be precise and exactly like the real thing, and eventually I just kind of started to make stuff that was as accurate to the real thing as possible. Having the guns look as accurate as possible really does push the realism if that's what you're going for.

Tiny inaccuracies don't really bother me, but if it's some glaring detail that totally breaks the look of it then I will certainly point it out. And I really dislike when people insist that futuristic/fictional guns must work in real life to be cool.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Interesting topic. I dunno why, but guns are my favorite thing to model besides characters... I find that they usually have really unique and puzzling shapes to model, especially if you choose the weird ones like I do.:)

I am kind of a gun nut. They are just cool, like smoking, you know. Holding a gun makes you cool (especially if you are a 3d character). Except in the real world. I am opposed to guns irl.

I guess it's not that weird, finding weapons really interesting, but hoping that no one really uses them. There are several weapons not in common use, like swords... It just happens to be a sad fact that guns are very common.

As far as the accuracy thing goes, I do try to be as accurate as possible and I do know quite a bit about how each gun I model works before I start. When looking at others models I only pick out the big glaring stuff, like if the grip is too big for a human hand to hold comfortably, or if it isn't thick enough, etc.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Frump wrote: »
    , like if the grip is too big for a human hand to hold comfortably

unless it's a Desert Eagle!
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    It took me four playthroughs through STALKER to notice that its guns were flipped left/right :( .

I think getting knowledge from games/images is incredibly difficult. When making this, it took me days to find out that the middle box on the sled was a lubricant holder. I still have no idea what the big rod is for.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I enjoy going to the shooting range. It may sound odd but I find it very relaxing after a long crunch time. I'm a revolver guy though.