Home Technical Talk

Modo uv question

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
It's there any way to get non symmetrical uv layout sizes in Modo? Like 1024 x 512 uv space sizing?

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just map to 1/2 or 1/4th of the map, and scale it so it fits the entire 0-1 range when you're done
  • g0th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    g0th triangle
    You can also import a image of 512x1024 and that will adjust the uv space to fit the image when you select it. But EQs way is probably faster.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    just map to 1/2 or 1/4th of the map

Could you expand on that. I believe I got some of what your saying
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure, when you go to pack your uvs together, instead of sticking them in the 0-1x0-1 uv range, stick them in the 0-1x0.5-1 range. And then when you're done, stretch them 200% on the correct axis to fill the entire 0-1 range. Use the numeric input to make sure you scale it exactly 200%, and that you're scaling from the correct point(either 1 or 0 depending on which side you're on).

Alternatively, you can map from -1 to 1 on the uv range, the top 2 large squares in the uv window, for example, i've been doing this these days as its a bit easier than making sure everything fits within half. And then just scale it 50%

Follow the same principals for a 1:4 or 1:8 or whatever aspect ration your desire.

gif to illustrate:

nonsqaureuv.gif

Now when you apply your 1024x512 texture to this layout, all will be good!
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent thanks for the help!