Home Technical Talk

Zbrush Overlapping Uvw's

I'm having a problem with importing into Zbrush from max 9, that I was hoping somone might know whats going on, or how to fix it?

I've created a model with UV's in max, and have brought it into Zbrush. I've checked the UV's for overlapping in Zbrush, and there's 2 big triangles red triangles going over several parts of the uv map.

I took it back into max and checked for overlapping. There is none.

I checked to see if I accidently welded some verts on the same 'peice' to eachother (2 separate verts. with the same uv co-ordinate)... I can't find any

I found some inverted uvs. so I flipped them. and collapsed the xform, reloading the non-inverted uvs. It does the same thing.

I exported from max 2009 (in case of exprted problems...?) now zbrush gives me a dialogue that says I have non standard polygons, and asks to change into quads and tris, or symetrical tris.
Problem still exists.

I took it back to max to look for polys more than 4 sides. as far as I know I only have 3 sides, and 4 sides.

Out of curisity I scaled down all uv 'pieces' and moved them to the edge of the map (where the overlapping isn't occuring). Zbrush shows that theres 2 giagantic grey tris in the same area with no 'uv peices' occuping that space.

I check the uv map in max for and verticies floating around in that space. I couldn't find anything.

does anyone know whats going on? Is there some way to more accurately check the model for problems such as 5+ sided polys or any other problems I checked out (most with taking a look at the model and/or UVs).

Thanks in advance!!!!

Replies

• Haledire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just to check to make sure, you did shrink down the UVW Map to give a small border on the texture right? If you have UVs touching at the edge of the texture space it tends to cause Zbrush to believe there is an overlap.

I assume this isn't the case since you did mention you scaled down the UV map sections, but you do mention moving them to the edge, so it makes it sound like this could be your issue.
  • Neavah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the responce!

there was no uvs touching the edge. I re-uved some of the most likely probelmatic areas, as it looked almost like I had 2 invisible triagnles in the middle of the uv space. I found 2 small tris that weren't uv-ed (in hard to see area), and couldn't have the face selected. I guess maybe I welded them or something...
    The problem has gone away :D <sigh of relief>

Thanks again though for your responce!
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have lost hours to the "tiny un-UV'd face" ZB port issue :)
    ~P~