Home General Discussion

online game art competitions for vehicle making??

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
boyluya polycounter lvl 10
Are there any? Like to the level of domwar, comicon or unearthly??

Replies

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Probably industrial design ones elsewhere. But for game development? Haven't seen one yet? In fact since it seems what I seem to be stuck doing recently..

YEA! Where's our love? Not that I have to time to do an original piece.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Havent you heard? Character artists are the rockstars of the industry. They get all the babes, all the cash and all of the drugs! :o

The closest thing to a vehicle comp is dom war, machine-side. Other than that ye´r focked it seems.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Why not do a vehicle focused unearthly challenge entry, that would actually be pretty refreshing!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Why not do a vehicle focused unearthly challenge entry, that would actually be pretty refreshing!

+1
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    +1
    +1
    = 2
    Did you know that? ;D
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    I'd be all over this. .
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    LoM Chaos wrote: »
    +1
    = 2
    Did you know that? ;D
    2 = how many people were doing your mom last night :poly115:
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Havent you heard? Character artists are the rockstars of the industry. They get all the babes, all the cash and all of the drugs! :o

The closest thing to a vehicle comp is dom war, machine-side. Other than that ye´r focked it seems.

Yea, but like toys. Sergeant Awesome needs his Awesome Mobile with working rocket launchers! No kid wants Sergeant Awesome alone. Hell, some kids want the Awesome Mobile because its so cool and forget Sergent Awesome.

The Awesomo Bash Alley Environmental Playset? Most of the kids dont bother with though..

;)

Crazy one could, but thats not really the focus. I think we want where the direct purpose are machines.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    2 = how many people were doing your mom last night :poly115:

Ooooh he went there.
    I got owned ;P
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    it'll all be the same shit as dominance war anyway
    evil robotic car with tentacles coming out of its arsehole, wheels bigger than three men, and guns coming out of its many needless metal panels. Did I mention an emissive map???

congratulations you just won
  • Canden Picard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could always just do your own challenge, its a great idea. A small site based challenge, gotta start somewhere.
  • Emperors Teeth
    Game Artist .net is currently running a series of mini-modelling/texturing competitions, which of which lasts about 2 weeks I think. (Shame my deadline is coming up for work... no time to enter myself.) The relevant thing for yourself is that this weeks is a UAV aircraft...

http://www.game-artist.net/forums/game-artist-mini-competition/
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Make no mistake Oxy. I´m all for it considering I´m a hard surface modeler. To bad I don´t have a work-comp at home (and won´t have for a few months). :)

Imslightlybored is kinda right though. That´s the sad part. If it was a polycount comp the dicktank would be the winner.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont think it has to work that way. We would just have to be more specific with the rules.

Example Rules that would disallow "coolity" over functionality.

Tricount: Up to 8500 with all wheels presented. Not 8500 counting only one wheel with the stipulation it would be replicated in game for rest.
    -3-4 Wheel Vehicle that would fit into a post Apocalyptic gang future. Alah Mad Max.
    -Weaponry and armor limited to what one can find in junk yards.
    -Must also act as habitation, so cannot be covered with weapons at expense of equipment for person(s) to survive.
    -Conceivable. A house on wheels with a nuclear engine.. no. The original base frame of the modified vehicle must reflect something contemporary.
    -Engine and interior can be exposed, though no bonus points awarded for moving parts or details that would never be seen by a player. (Flaw in Domination IMO)
    -All relevant parts should be boned. Basic animation showing boning needed with results. But no background scenes allowed in the animation or the final images. The vehicle image must work on its own. Grey matte. no reflective surface for ground.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    oXYnary wrote: »
    I dont think it has to work that way. We would just have to be more specific with the rules.

Example Rules that would disallow "coolity" over functionality.

Tricount: Up to 8500 with all wheels presented. Not 8500 counting only one wheel with the stipulation it would be replicated in game for rest.
    -3-4 Wheel Vehicle that would fit into a post Apocalyptic gang future. Alah Mad Max.
    -Weaponry and armor limited to what one can find in junk yards.
    -Must also act as habitation, so cannot be covered with weapons at expense of equipment for person(s) to survive.
    -Conceivable. A house on wheels with a nuclear engine.. no. The original base frame of the modified vehicle must reflect something contemporary.
    -Engine and interior can be exposed, though no bonus points awarded for moving parts or details that would never be seen by a player. (Flaw in Domination IMO)
    -All relevant parts should be boned. Basic animation showing boning needed with results. But no background scenes allowed in the animation or the final images. The vehicle image must work on its own. Grey matte. no reflective surface for ground.

Hardcore rules.

I like it.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Nice idea oXY. I had high hopes for Games-Artists mini comps, but I dont like the fact that you have to follow a design. Same with GA's minis...they tend to be all about adapting an existing design. Seems the only time we are called on to be really creative is Dom-War, UC, and the polycount mini challenges.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought Dominance you had to follow a preset story/war that the creators setup?

Anyhow, what would you suggest instead? We need something to keep what people create inline. I mean someone could throw some organic wheels on a monster and submit that... Is that really fair to the rest because it "looks" cooler, but has no relevance to being a "vehicle"? How would you limit it to hard surface modeling?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so now its downtime between the other competitions, I thought I would bump this up again. IM sure we can find competitors in places like http://forum.cg-cars.com/ Who would probably kick our collective ass (see Im throwing down the gauntlet, you have to disprove my angst).
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Hah interesting point. I do agree with SlightlyBored... it'd be all Epic-style megadetail vehicles that would take the prizes. Though some decent rules could prevent this I guess. I'd be all over somethign like this too.

And cg-cars, meh, that's all highpoly super-realistic V-ray rendered cars, it's really narrow in scope and not even realtime.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    oXYnary wrote: »
    I thought Dominance you had to follow a preset story/war that the creators setup?

Anyhow, what would you suggest instead? We need something to keep what people create inline. I mean someone could throw some organic wheels on a monster and submit that... Is that really fair to the rest because it "looks" cooler, but has no relevance to being a "vehicle"? How would you limit it to hard surface modeling?
    what immediately comes to mind is some sort of style guide rules. What about "Design and/or model a 1950's american style car" or any other decade/movement?

Anything that encourages studying real movements, rather than needless greebling, is a positive in my book surely?

You might get some homers but that's also a plus side, there's still room to be creative.

just my two (pennys) cents.
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    i thought game-artists.net armada competition was a pretty cool idea. if there was another one i'd participate
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With Dominance out this year. This is a perfect time to bring back up.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    we had a jet moto and f-zero comps recently.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vehicle, and was it a competition between sites? Thats what were speaking about.\

Edit: Saw f-zero is futuristic vehicle racing. That was local right? Saw no announcements about garnering Polycount support in the battle.

Again, full on site versus site competition with prizes. I can donate some money to a pool for the top three winners.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    oh, I didn't really realize we were talking about one of those inter-site comps.