Home General Discussion

Seeing great art done in short times, do you get depressed?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
alexk polycounter lvl 12
Just kinda wondering if anyone feels a little depressed when they see really good quality work and then find out it was done in a very short time? How do you guys not let it drag you down? How do you try to learn from these types of art and try to become faster in your own work?

Replies

• Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    they are all liars.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    If something, anything takes a long time, you should always find a way to do it faster =). With everything I make, I try experimenting with some new technique that could improve my workflow.
    Whenever I see someone spend a lot of time on something, it's usually because they are doing repetitive tasks without bothering to find a way to automate it, or focussing on the wrong things (spending way to much time on details noone will notice for example). So with whatever thing you make, look at it again and try to find out what's good and bad about it, often you'll find that one of the things making your artwork good is actually something that you could do again in a short timeframe, and if you did it once, you can probably do it faster the next time etc.,

hope that makes sense.. :p. It's all about workflow and trying to avoid the bad things that take up time, and finding out the good things that go fast.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    speed comes with experience, knowing what you do saves alot of time, so invest in skill before trying to race against the clock.

at first those things will get you, but keep in mind not to compare yourself to someone who has mastered what you are still learning.

also, try and turn it into a goal instead of letting it depress you,
    there is always someone better and faster, let that motivate to kick his ass
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    there's a million factors that play into how fast anything gets done... there's certain things that you can adequately gauge on how fast it can be completed, and at what level... this of course plays into experience and skill... but why seeing great art done on short time frames would make one depressed seems to be more of a personal problem (no offense) as this should act as more of a motivator for the artist viewing the work.

if you wanna learn more about how to speed up your skills as an artist, then first and foremost, practice. there's always a way to do something faster, and it takes your own self motivation to figure out what that is. secondly, do a lot of research. take kevin johnstone's post here. a plethora of info on his methods and workflow for achieving great results on tight time frames as well as a bar to judge your own work by is in that thread alone. researching what works is key, and some people go to the next level and show you what doesn't work and why, and those are really good reads that help more than anything.

on the same token, you should always be very aware of your own skill level at all times. i'll just shutup and quote arshlevon who sums it up pretty damn good.
    arshlevon wrote: »
    there is one thing i think that is keeping a lot of people back and that is the inability to gauge their own stuff against what is good.

i look at tons of portfolios, and there are people that honestly think they are great and that could not be further from the truth, and i have come to the conclusion that they have no idea where they stand or where they are at, and if they can't distinguish between what is good and what is shit then i really don't know what to tell them.
    i can say its bad and this is why, or practice this, but if you cant look at your own work and say i need to work on this or that then your not getting any better.

i hate everything i do after i am done, and it makes we want to one up myself with each new model i do. it would be impossible for me to make something that is worse than anything i have ever done, i just cant do it, it has to be better or i might as well quit.
    one major problem i see with people that have been doing this awhile is that they get comfortable with what they do and how they do it, they level off and just stay there until everyone passes them by and then bitch and cry when they lose their job.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    To go with that quote from Arsh:

explains_everything.jpg
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    I think there's a trade off to this kind of stuff. If I do something really fast, often times it's mundane and not very exciting. Whereas when i'm doing something new, it's kinda cool and i can put lots of time into learning it and it's actually kinda fun. So there's ups and downs to both.

ReEdit: Decided to remove this negative stuff. We need to look on the bright side, the reason it's so hard to break into this field is because it's an awesome job. Keep at it you'll break in, but i can't help but think posting this kind of negative stuff is just shooting ourselves in the foot. A lot of times, it's not even the portfolio, it's all about your attitude. Hell, I've never even really pushed hard to get in yet and i feel brought down by all the negativity and firings.

I always try to tell myself, i'm just 1 awesome art asset from turning some heads. So far i've pretty much been wrong every time, but I also feel like i'm closer than ever to getting in. Take from that whatever you guys want.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Junkie, I can relate, but its probably a bit off from what the topic of this thread is. :)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I find having a constant hatred towards the work you produce is good motivation :)
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    adam wrote: »
    I find having a constant hatred towards the work you produce is good motivation :)

QFT.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I first started freelancing I was working remotely on few projects with a bunch of other artists, there was this one guy constantly seemed to spit out four to eight times as much work as I was able to do. I thought man I must suck, I"m so slow. Truthfully I was pretty slow, but I started to get faster and better. One day I was frustrated at my speed enough to talk about it to my Art Manager. He was like "You're not too bad, don't worry about it, you take around the same amount of time that I would to finish an asset". "What about that other guy?" I ask he's crazy fast. My Art Manager, laughs and says "Don't measure your speed against that guy, He's got a team of artists subcontracting under him". I couldn't stop laughing at that and told myself not to worry about how fast I was compared to others anymore.

Like the others have mentioned just keep looking for ways to do your work faster, it's the little things like setting up good hotkeys, and small scripts to automate things that saves a lot of time. Figuring out good workflows helps too, it all comes with experience, just keep at it.
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    Wow, so much negativity. Speed and skill and both things that come with time and lots of hard work and are goals that should motivate, not discourage an artist. I think its a big mistake to just take a self deprecating attitude towards your own art and to have a sort of envious negativity towards other artists work. Personally seeing better artist motivates me to push myself to be a better artist and move up to that next level. I got into this game later then most of you, so I could easily be bummed out at the fact that people much younger then me are much more advanced artists....instead I choose to suck it up and do what I can to better myself and enjoy this awesome career.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    get good, and you can pwn noobs with your l33t art skillz.
    lots of grind, but its worth it.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I get inspired by seeing those that are capable of doing mroe than I am in less time, it gives me a clearer yardstick for where to aim and how to rate my own progression.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Junkie_XL wrote: »
    I'm fairly depressed 24-7 about how there are too many people on this planet wanting the same job I do. It's difficult to stand out. Speed isn't too big of a concern as I like to tell myself I'll get faster once I'm in and learning from others.

Being depressed over just trying to break in though gets in the way of my portfolio progress. I'm just loaded with anxiety that if I put in a ton of work, and even make something incredible, it still will not help me land anything because there is always someone out there who will be better than I. I've had a string of bad luck for a very long time now from a start up company to occasional freelance not resulting in anything amazing looking. And the economy just keeps getting a little worse every year with more people looking for work every year.

Really tired of doing free mod shit too. I'm glad I'm good enough for kiddies to want me to do free crap for them...joy. I just want what others here have. That is to work for an established developer and get paid for making awesome portfolio additions. And then in the evenings I can just play a video game or hang out and disconnect until the next day. Instead I stress over this portfolio all day long. Starting to drive me nuts. I've held off having a family for this pursuit too.

I never wanted to be rich doing this stuff, I just wanted something I can enjoy while still paying the bills and shake off all the disrespect I get from family and friends around me who feel I'm wasting my time trying to break in. It's getting a bit embarrassing being 30 and all and still not landing anything life changing yet.

LOL. That could very well have been written by me.
    30. No job. Still trying to "break-in". Family doesn't respect it/never really thought I could do it.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I always look at the best stuff that the best artists do, and while I'm fairly sure that I just don't have that "creativity" that most truly great artists have, I think I can fairly objectively judge what I can and cannot do "technically" (like learning a technique to create a certain style or detail that aids a piece of art). And once I learn those then I get one step closer to the greatness that I see others achieving, and it gives me a bit of hope that someday I can do things that I'll really, truly be proud of.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I'm not sure what speed has to do with anything. I assume that if someone is skilled, they will be able to produce good work whether they spend 1 hour or 100 hours on it. Skill is what counts, speed is just icing on the cake. There's no reason you should try to be fast before you try to become more skilled.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    getting better at modeling is like sex in reverse, it takes a lot of practice to get fast ;)
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    if you see a guy who can do a hundred pushups, does it convince you that you could never, with conditioning, be able to do that, so what the hell is the point?
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Having the right tools for the job can speed things up considerably. When ZBrush first came out I was hesitant to use it because of all the bad things I heard about it's interface. But After seeing amazing work coming out if it I decided to give it a try. It really sped up my workflow and I fell in love.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks for all the replies. They were actually quite helpful and I'm going to continue on with a new perspective. Especially on how I gauge my own work versus others that I see
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Autocon wrote: »
    getting better at modeling is like sex in reverse, it takes a lot of practice to get fast ;)

officially part of my new sig. :)
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Josh_Singh wrote: »
    they are all liars.

+1 :)
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    The only person that truly digusts me with his speed is Jeff Miller (Red Republik). He dosen't really depress me with his speed, because I'm pretty sure he's a machine from the future sent back through time to make REALLY crazy good art at an insane pace.

Took him 2.5 Days to make Cobra Commander for the CGhub GI Joe Contest as a Banner of some kind.

image.jpg

He started his Dominance War entry a month later than everyone else, CHANGED his entry completely 2 weeks after that, and still managed to place in the top.

image.jpg
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    what helps too is to have some kind of library of models and alphas for different details or something else. sometimes i look through reference pictures and model some stuff i could need and make some alphas of them too for ZBrush etc. To answer your question: In the first thought im kinda down but then i think about how i would do it or how could that person did it and try to learn a bit. Just keep do practice :)
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    skimmed the thread so this might have been mentioned already, however; Always have a clear picture of your entire process before you start. Spend some time thinking about each of the steps and how they relate to each other.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    It doesnt depress me.

Just keep practising. You'll learn from your mistakes and grow from the experience.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    I'm so fast I have to wear a neck-brace at my desk otherwise I get whiplash
    I'm so fast I've done tomorrows work before it's today
    I'm so fast I need an assistant spraying me down with water because of the friction
    I'm so fast my mouse wore a hole in my desk
    I'm so fast I need a teflon wacom
    I'm so fast red wears me
    I'm so fast michael schumacher uses my keyboard shortcuts
    I'm so fast I have to work on a salt lake so I have room to slow down
    I'm so fast I leave skid marks on my hard drive
    I'm so fast I have a smoke before
    I'm so fast nobody is satisfied

etc... ;)
  • conte
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^LOL

Just think you're having fun, that's all you can really do. Don't think making things in 3D is all about in the end, a job. Just do it! :)
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Seeing great art done in short times, do you get depressed? "

yes.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    I dont sweat it. Everybody wants to get better and faster, but it all depends on your perception. View the beer glass half full man...not half empty ;)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    doing things quickly is overrated. just ask your wumman
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    no, it's more like, you have to give a thousand women orgasm, or you'll never get to have sex again.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    “Show me a thoroughly satisfied man and I will show you a failure.”
    -Thomas A. Edison

That is pretty much what defines one person over the next. Most people are content to stay at a certain level throughout their lives but a few rest realize that there is something more out there they want to attain. Realization is where it’s at boys and girls; what you can and cannot do but it doesn’t stop there. It’s a turning point. This is where you muster the courage to go out there and do what it takes to get to that point in life where you want to be. I mean, when it comes to doubt the real killer is yourself and your own perception of you. Don’t try and gauge yourself on others successes. Instead follow your own path and set your own direction. Too often what we see on Polycount or CA.org or some other forum is the end result of many hours of effort and/or years of learning in order to get to that point and the sad thing is that the majority will try and copy a certain look or style without any notion or understanding of the processes behind it. Most people drop off the ‘scene’ because it is too difficult or they aren’t getting to that point where other more skilled or creative people are. A lot of people see the vanity and praise that the end results bring, but like the majority of kids in art school they don’t want to put in the effort to achieve that success. If you can realize this while in school or at home then you are further ahead than your contemporaries already.

Getting to a good nominal skill level takes a while. Take a long look at the “what are you working on” thread and you’ll find many months can go by before someone actually finishes a model, or a set of props that come together into an actual scene. Most people new to PC or any forum walk into the finished art sections and see a lot of great work, but it’s a lot of great work by different people. If one person could make all of the art on these forums then they may as well be God. Just remember that many individuals comprise this place. Take a look at their profiles, their past work history, how long they’ve been in the field, how much they contribute to the forums, etc and you’ll find that many people have been around a long time. And if you worry about the new kid that is cranking amazing art at an incredible rate then it means that they are confident enough and realize enough about themselves to know what they can do and not do and more than likely have the initiative to go out there and work for what they want. It’s never too late to begin a new chapter in your life or to take a risk with a career. Some PC’ers have taken that route knowing the hardships that doing something like that entails. Some people have gone through school only to learn more outside of class and some people have the savvy or and will and determination to learn everything outside of school altogether.

The point is to do it because it is something you want to do; because it will enrich your life and take you where you want to go, and if you take that crucial first step and continue on your new path despite any shortcomings you may have then once you will reach your new destination you will appreciate the effort it took to get there and hopefully realize that this is not the end of the road but the beginning of a new chapter that’ll lead you to something only better if you continue chugging on.

Oh and don't think TLDR, that kinna defeats the purpose...

Also, I leave you with this:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxKvOSm5FcE[/ame]
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    conte wrote: »

LMFAO, wow I'm in tears perfect!

Nice post cochtl, like everyone has said a library of models, or even turbo squid some cash, beer and a lot of editing. :thumbup:
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    it's kind of motivating for me to see that it doesn't have to take forever to get something done.
    i do disagree with okkun tho. when starting a project, picturing the whole process is demotivating and distracting for me.
    i try to focus on one thing at a time, step by step and not to think too far ahead.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    adam wrote: »
    Pretty much how it goes. I look at things I've done and things I am working on now and wonder "Why in the hell do I like this?". I can see improvements over the last thing I made, but when I am done I just want to take a couple of screen grabs and renders then wipe it form the drive.
    Took him 2.5 Days to make Cobra Commander for the CGhub GI Joe Contest as a Banner of some kind.
    Now is that 2.5 days like two 8 hour days, or was it a huge grind with little sleep/going outside?:)

It's like repetition. It took me 24 hours to install injectors, turbo, fuel pump, sparks, front mount and other bits my first time. All the little things I didn't know about came up and got me all sideways. Now I can show up, install almost any turbo kit with supporting mods in like 8 hours.

And before you say "Why did it take 20 hours?". I ask you: Have you EVER replaced spark plugs on a Subaru? Or ANY engine work on a Subaru? Fucking love-hate relationship if there ever was one. Not like every other car on the road where you pop the hood and everything is just "there".
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Epic post cochtl. Reminded me of this Tenacious D song:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2MmqbAaoZA[/ame]
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    alexk wrote: »
    Just kinda wondering if anyone feels a little depressed when they see really good quality work and then find out it was done in a very short time? How do you guys not let it drag you down? How do you try to learn from these types of art and try to become faster in your own work?

Man, I'm with you. I ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer by all accounts, and I sure as hell ain't the faster... So it's a bit disheartening on one hand, on the other it does make me want to push my self harder and be more focused.

Recently, I've been creating for work a lot of little animals in zbrush which then need retopo in a way that will allow for facial and body animation. So, I realized that while two months ago retopologizing with poly stripes using vertex snap would take me upwards of 10 hours for a character, yesterday I did this in a solid 4 hours, with far more streamlined results.

I guess practice makes perfect after all.

/edit btw, since no one posted it yet, I know it's been posted before in a similar thread and that it's corny as hell, but there you go.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uASVzkrEKgs[/ame]
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Speed isn't all that, the other day I was trying to speed paint some clouds, once the pace slowed down finally details started to appear that looked decent and not rushed.

I think Robert Duvall said it best;
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbUxePfsoWE[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbUxePfsoWE"][/ame]
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Never really been a fan of art done in record time. It doesn't feel a s loved as a piece done in a "standard" timeframe.

Cool you can make something in 1 week. Nice to do for cheep freelance, not so good for your folio.

So don;t worry about speed. Because the skill and effort you put into your art will always win.
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    Work at your own pace, be smart and learn from your mistakes. There's no point in rushing through something if you're just going to have to come back to it later to clean it up.

Yes, some guys are incredibly fast. Don't dwell on it, be inspired to improve yourself and remember that speed comes with experience, so just keep going!
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    it just means there are people with perfected workflows with no room for mistake, routines that once mastered work for everything :)...and their insane talent.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    cochtl wrote: »
    “Show me a thoroughly satisfied man and I will show you a failure.”
    -Thomas A. Edison

That is pretty much what defines one person over the next. Most people are content to stay at a certain level throughout their lives but a few rest realize that there is something more out there they want to attain. Realization is where it’s at boys and girls; what you can and cannot do but it doesn’t stop there. It’s a turning point. This is where you muster the courage to go out there and do what it takes to get to that point in life where you want to be. I mean, when it comes to doubt the real killer is yourself and your own perception of you. Don’t try and gauge yourself on others successes. Instead follow your own path and set your own direction. Too often what we see on Polycount or CA.org or some other forum is the end result of many hours of effort and/or years of learning in order to get to that point and the sad thing is that the majority will try and copy a certain look or style without any notion or understanding of the processes behind it. Most people drop off the ‘scene’ because it is too difficult or they aren’t getting to that point where other more skilled or creative people are. A lot of people see the vanity and praise that the end results bring, but like the majority of kids in art school they don’t want to put in the effort to achieve that success. If you can realize this while in school or at home then you are further ahead than your contemporaries already.

Getting to a good nominal skill level takes a while. Take a long look at the “what are you working on” thread and you’ll find many months can go by before someone actually finishes a model, or a set of props that come together into an actual scene. Most people new to PC or any forum walk into the finished art sections and see a lot of great work, but it’s a lot of great work by different people. If one person could make all of the art on these forums then they may as well be God. Just remember that many individuals comprise this place. Take a look at their profiles, their past work history, how long they’ve been in the field, how much they contribute to the forums, etc and you’ll find that many people have been around a long time. And if you worry about the new kid that is cranking amazing art at an incredible rate then it means that they are confident enough and realize enough about themselves to know what they can do and not do and more than likely have the initiative to go out there and work for what they want. It’s never too late to begin a new chapter in your life or to take a risk with a career. Some PC’ers have taken that route knowing the hardships that doing something like that entails. Some people have gone through school only to learn more outside of class and some people have the savvy or and will and determination to learn everything outside of school altogether.

The point is to do it because it is something you want to do; because it will enrich your life and take you where you want to go, and if you take that crucial first step and continue on your new path despite any shortcomings you may have then once you will reach your new destination you will appreciate the effort it took to get there and hopefully realize that this is not the end of the road but the beginning of a new chapter that’ll lead you to something only better if you continue chugging on.

+1 to that dude, RIGHT on!