Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Viking Batman - Comicon Entry

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Jaco polycounter lvl 17
Feels good to finally finish some personal work! I'm not 100% happy with my original concept, but I'm happy enough with the execution. Although it's already submitted, any C&C is still more than welcome!

BeautyShot.jpg
PresentationSheet.jpg
Construction.jpg
TextureSheet-1.jpg

Some wip stuff

Batwip_13.jpg
Batwip_11.jpg
BatWip_24.jpg

Thanks for looking

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    awesome entry, well done, really well refined work
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is full of win!
    Well done.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    this came out so good man. i really loved the sculpt and the basic idea is very strong as well as your execution! the texturing is great with a really nice palette fitting for the time. superb entry... the more i look, the more i drool. good luck and congrats on finishing!!!!
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MALicivs polycounter lvl 15
    I'm not sure about those creases in the pants imo, they make them look kinda like foam or something solid. other than that top notch work dude, and I think the concept is pretty nice.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    Wish I could see that walking pose from the front. Shit looks great.
  • Belias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belias polycounter lvl 14
    nice , at the collar , you can make fur or alpha fur :) .
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    OH dear. I didn't think I'd like this when I clicked it. I should stop thinking. It's great.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Great job man! Sword looks a little bland and uninteresting but the character looks spot on!
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    The face is excellent! Its almost a shame to have him wearing the helmet and cover up all the personality the head has. Saying that having no helmet/ mask takes away one of the main identifying marks of him being Batman so...
  • PureWall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love it!

only advice is that everything is a bit to clean
  • Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sauron polycounter lvl 10
    Great work! wich render did you use?
  • GugloPWN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It seems a little more viking than batman. I wouldn't have immediately thought batman if it weren't for the title. Maybe make more of his clothing black.

The helmet is the perfect combination of the two ideas and is just about perfect.
    The vest seem too stock viking. I say you make a bat sword hilt and dye some of his clothing black.
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Fucking awesome :D
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hi there! Superb execution indeed, very nicely done man!!

I think I see what you mean about the concept. You did a great job with the helmet, by taking elements from that time period and batmanifying them perfectly. However the rest of the outfit seems more like a generic viking. As if today's batman would just wear a kickass batman mask ... but a mere pair of blue jeans, and a white tshirt :P

I'd say (if you ever plan to go back to it in the future), try to explore all the ressources a viking could use in order the convey the bat theme.
    For instance you could have parts of the costume made of real bats parts (taxidermy). I know this is a bit against the Batman code (he never really hurts a bat huh?) but you could very well take some of the leather parts of your design, and turn them into stitched bat wings. Also a good portion of the fabric and leather straps could be dyed black to give a nice stealth feel. Maybe "jungle" facepaint on his skin, shaped as a realistic silhouette of a bat. To top it off you could also give him finger armor plates matching the forearm pads, for an added sense of a batsuit.

I also wish that the little yellow ornaments on the helmet were following the design of the Adam West TV costume :P With the square on the nose!

Great job man!
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    pior wrote: »
    Hi there! Superb execution indeed, very nicely done man!!

I think I see what you mean about the concept. You did a great job with the helmet, by taking elements from that time period and batmanifying them perfectly. However the rest of the outfit seems more like a generic viking. As if today's batman would just wear a kickass batman mask ... but a mere pair of blue jeans, and a white tshirt :P

I'd say (if you ever plan to go back to it in the future), try to explore all the ressources a viking could use in order the convey the bat theme.
    For instance you could have parts of the costume made of real bats parts (taxidermy). I know this is a bit against the Batman code (he never really hurts a bat huh?) but you could very well take some of the leather parts of your design, and turn them into stitched bat wings. Also a good portion of the fabric and leather straps could be dyed black to give a nice stealth feel. Maybe "jungle" facepaint on his skin, shaped as a realistic silhouette of a bat. To top it off you could also give him finger armor plates matching the forearm pads, for an added sense of a batsuit.

I also wish that the little yellow ornaments on the helmet were following the design of the Adam West TV costume :P With the square on the nose!

Great job man!

i'd say its fine the way it is now. if a viking made something out of batwing leather, they'd layer it up until there was a decent thickness of leather, and tan the shit out of it.
    imo, the bat brooch could get some more ornamentation, and the chainmail on the helmet is somewhat fine-masked and flat. oh yeah, and the sword.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Jaco, great work man! I love the final turnout, and it's good to see something new on your portfolio.
    I was a little worried about the posing you were working out over on GA, but I think your final poses are perfect now. I like how he is sort of walking away in the back shot, and how he is sort of slowly going for his sword in the front shot. Imo It's more interesting this way, than simply having the same pose in both screen shots. So again, nice job bringing it all together.
    I do sort of agree that exploring more options in future projects might be something to consider. But on the same note, I think a lot of the appeal of this particular character is in its simplicity, and how everything is so well executed.
    Anyways, you know I'm a fan man, and I look forward to seeing more work from you.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    have you thought about giving him a beard? I mean, everyone in his village is gonna know that Viking Batman's true identity is the one dude without a beard.
  • psychoticprankster
    stoofoo wrote: »
    OH dear. I didn't think I'd like this when I clicked it. I should stop thinking. It's great.
    I didn't think i'd like this ethier. I love it , now that,
    I have seen it.
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Ged,bitmap,Firebert,stoofoo,hobodactyl: Thanks for the comments guys
    MALicivs: Thanks, I'm not crazy about them either, should've spent more time on it.
    stimpack: Thanks! It's a pretty weak pose, doesn't really work from the front, that's why I'm hiding it :)
    Belias: I thought about that, but ran out of time. That and alpha fur drives me crazy :)
    Kaburan: You're right, I could've done more with the sword.
    FAT_CAP: Thanks! Yeah it was hard covering the face up, but as you said it's not Batman without the helmet.
    PureWall: Thanks, and good point.
    Sauron: I used 3ds Max with a standard shader. For the first image I used mental ray, still in 3ds max.
    GugloPWN: I'm using the color pallet of the classic batman, the light grey,blue and gold, not the black from the film. Agreed about the vest being to stock batman though.
    pior: Thanks for taking the time to write that up man, that's a great point you make with the jeans and t-shirt comparison. I definitely need to spend more time exploring my options, and thinking about the character's environment/resources.I wish I had some of those suggestions when I was starting out :)
    dejawolf: Yeah I should've done more with the bat brooch, but the deadline was rearing it's ugly head. I actually wanted to go back to the chain mail and increase the size of the links, but didn't for some reason, think it was laziness.
    BradMyers82: Thanks!That walking away pose is actually the drunken walk I was posting at GA, worked fine from the back haha
    P442: Haha I thought about a beard, but dropped it because it would make him even less recognizable.
    psychoticprankster: Thanks!
    psychoticprankster: Thanks!
  • GugloPWN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, looks like I'm too closed in my batman image. That is totally valid. One thing though: Gold Batarangs.

And maybe push the blue more in the lighting.
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My only crit is he looks more like "Ancient chinese army" batman than viking. Looks like he's wearing almost the same thing as the terracotta warriors with batman elements on top. The helmet also seems very samurai to me rather than viking, probably because of the black.
    xian.terra.cotta.warriors.50008485w.jpg
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bloody hell! This is awesome job bro!
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirdelita polycounter lvl 10
    I don't know man, I really love this!! If you make it too batman looking...it would lose that ancient feeling to it!! I'm full on with not changing it! Great work!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Very cool stuff Jaco, I think it's a great idea for a concept and you've pulled it off very well.
    Pior makes some good points about trying to go a bit more "batman" with it, it does seem 90% viking and 10% batman but I don't think it really detracts too much.

I also agree with a few of the points about the textures being very clean - definitely the cloth could do with some more dirt / stains / rips etc. just to make it feel more "lived in" - right now it's as if he just washed some brand new tunics! Doesn't feel like he's ever been in a fight right now.

Oh and for some reason I keep thinking his feet seem too "long".

Still I think it's great work, a fine portfolio piece.
  • torontoanimator
    just gorgeous, never knew batman could look so old-world lol to me though, the sword seems kind of misplaced, everything else is so detailed but the sword, i dunno doesn't feel like it belongs to me
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    terrific work, thumbs up)
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome work boet. My only real gripe is the weapon.... I would have gone with a double headed axe in the shape of the "bat". The whole notion of a viking batman would mean that he would have to depart from stealth and focus more on well, viking antics so an axe should fit the concept ;) I also think that the bat broach should have been flat metal curved almost like a plate and thin. I don't think they had flowjets in 1066 :P