Home Technical Talk

Sharpening you say?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
That's right, ADVANCED sharpening for the photo n00b. Can be used on textures as well. I will not be held responsible for you HDR-loving, 30-day trial of photoshop, look what I made mommy, preletariat from using this secret incorrectly.

photo_sharpening.jpg

Replies

• Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    Is smart sharpen similar to filter>sharpen>unsharp?
    thanks for the tut!
  • ghib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check your backend Ben. You are haemorrhaging massive nuggets of wisdom.

Thanks for the tips.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty cool trick, but you noised up the background, I see pores and your model went from having cute man-stubble to, where did I park my bear. Probably selectively mask out some more areas? Still a cool trick tho =)
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Cool shit man! :)
    this might be useful for textures as well.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taste, subjective? Not on my internets! Certainly not on polycount where we're all 100% in agreement of what's attractive and what's not.

You might like your men like plastic ken-dolls, but I prefer them with stubble and pores. I masked away what I didn't want, and kept what I did. The noise in the background I left because when it's too smooth I feel it looks artificial and overly digital. It doesn't show up in the prints at all.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also I'm 100% positive you are hairier than this man.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My bear definitely is...
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doing an unsharp with a low intensity and high filter will give you a similar result as the high pass thing, maybe a little easier.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It does, sort of. the problem with unsharp is it works on luminosity AND color, which is not useful for increasing accutance (wikipedia nublets). You could of course run it, then do an edit > fade > luminosity as well.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is that how they spell it in the UK? :-D
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I know this is an old post but I am grateful for you sharing your wisdom, master :D Does anyone have any info on removing blotches/lighting from photo reference, for texturing while retaining details?

I know there was a tutorial floating around that was similar to Gnomon's Character Texturing for Production process, but seems to have disappeared :(
  • equil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Image>Adjustments>Shadows/Highlights... works pretty well for getting rid of minor lighting uneveness. When you're working with photo textures though, usually you're fighting against Vignetting and camera distortion. In that case trying the Filter>Lens Correction... thing might be more useful.

For the record i think using high pass filters in this performance-enhancing way is kind of gross both in photos and textures because it flattens specular reflections and kills the natural scattering of a lot of materials. in essence it makes everything looks like rock. with textures you also increase the signal to noise ratio, and while an increase in contrast might be important for that reason, it also means that compression will destroy your textures more than it might have needed to.

It's great if you're trying to fake SEM imagery though. my taste is better than your taste.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Mind if I ask what is a Fake SEM? Google is bringing to me 'Fake Semen', but I really doubt that's what you meant.
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have used this method myself a fair bit, though I tend to use the overlay blending mode. Also good for removing light differences in textures when used with a higher high pass value. But, imo it could as easily ruin stuff for you as it tends to drive it towards a plastic wrap type of look, and gives a white fringe. But, used right, it can be ace.. just.. carefully ^^

I believe it was also used here to get this type of effect:
    after1.gif

/edit: Arrrgh! Necro :poly122: