Home General Discussion

Artist's rights to credit?

Hey guys, long story short, what are the artist's legal rights to accurate credit for work performed on a project?

I hear a lot about 'moral rights' or what SHOULD be an artist's rights to credit, but can't find anything specific about actual legal rights that would prevent a company from denying an artist full and accurate credit for work done while hired.

And in case it makes a difference, I'm talking about Canada.

Replies

• jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    Well you can give up any right you have so I think it's first important to establish if the artist in question signed any documents that grant ownership of the work to somone else.

There are also verbal agreements which can carry some weight.

I guess I would have to say it would depend on the specifics. I don't think an artist has any inherent rights what so ever though. It really is a question of who the copyright holder is not who created it.

There is tons and tons of work in many films, for example, that goes un-credited. Usually the people who make it into the credits are only there because some piece of paper said they would be before hand.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Movie credits are mostly due to various union requirements, there aren't any game-dev unions so there's no threat of fines or being booted from the union for not crediting people.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good point. I think the entire game industry still isn't formalized enough yet to have a consistent stance on this issue.

I suppose it pertains to artists in general, and like I said if someone else paid for the work I don't know that the creator as any right, unless its part of the initial agreement.
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the question though. If there's no law protecting it, why do they have credits at all. This makes me suspect there may be some possible legal threat to not doing it, was just checking if anyone knew it for a fact.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really think credits exist as a curtisy to the artists and to give people incentives to work on projects. If you know you will never be given credit then many people may look else where for work.

I also found this: http://books.google.com/books?id=rLxPmCGnaSgC&pg=PA161&lpg=PA161&dq=artist+right+to+credit&source=bl&ots=fEpmAlW_VJ&sig=xMYSbd8Y1WLWDz2pQqgKGoR7gig&hl=en&ei=CK2USsKULYe6NYas1PkH&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3#v=onepage&q=artist%20right%20to%20credit&f=false

That basically re-iterates what I was saying, that the agreement to be given credit is on a per project basis and that there are no general laws on the issue. It's not the creator of the work, but the owner of the work that matters.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no laws in the US, I believe the IGDA is working on crediting guidlines. The only punishment right now is bad press.

They are required to verify you worked there if contacted by someone looking to hire you. I'm not sure if it's the same for freelance work.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think game credits are still largely a luxury item and not a requirement. Normally when someone gets left off its because the person who maintains the list is unaware of their involvement. I don't think too many places give credits that much thought until the game is a few weeks away from shipping...

As for who has the rights to display what, that's a huge legal quagmire. Most places don't want anything leaked, rightfully so, but after shipping a title are normally pretty free about letting artists display their work within guidelines. Sometimes watermarked or texture sheets can't be shown bla bla bla...
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really shitty huh? Thanks for the inputs.

I never saw an industry more ripe for unionization. They're so asking for it on so many levels. Nobody will be happy after that, unions always end up hurting both sides far as I know. Seems they eventually just become the bureaucratic monster they were put in place to control.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Worked on 3+ titles in my short stint at Midway and because I left and pissed off 1 single person my name was removed from the credits before they finally shipped. Wish my name was in them but whatever.
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on 3+ titles in my short stint at Midway and because I left and pissed off 1 single person my name was removed from the credits before they finally shipped.
    I was totally gonna say this kind of thing in reply to Vig's last post. More often than not, omited credits are the result of leaving before the game ships.

Ok here's a followup question. Someone mentioned they are legally obliged to confirm employment if asked. Doesn't that extend to include the duties performed while employed? Or does that legal obligation stop at just confirming that you worked there?
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    "Or does that legal obligation stop at just confirming that you worked there?"

Yeah, for good reason too. Say you were working on something unannounced, that's why the law stops there.
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    Here's the question though. If there's no law protecting it, why do they have credits at all. This makes me suspect there may be some possible legal threat to not doing it, was just checking if anyone knew it for a fact.

Aping movie credits gives games a sense of validity and serves to connect them to a media that most viewers have some respect for. They've also just kind of become expected at the end of any media as a sort of emotional padding and secondary reward. Grand music plays reminding the viewer of all the awesome parts of the game/media while a whole list of people who slaved to bring it to you scrolls past.

They're not required though, some don't even have them. When you finish a quest in an MMO you don't get spammed with "This quest written by John Doe. Special thanks to spot whose likeness was used for the beagle model." and obviously MMO's don't have endings for credits to go after. If there is a credit roll though it seems only natural to expect to be included assuming you're not just the Office Bitch or something (and even those will often get a humorous write-up). More information would be nice.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    DKK wrote: »
    Well Blizzard includes the full credits in the wow game manual, I don't know about other mmos tho. But then again Blizzard is one of those places, like Valve who has a credit roll at the end of half life 2 games, That seem like they give a shit about ethics. That being said, theres nothing stopping you from signing every asset you make. I'm not sure if there is a screen shot floating around, but in Darkest of Days the horses are branded EQ, that was one of my favorite instances.

I have the utmost respect for how Valve does their credits; alphabetical order, no titles. Even Gabe Newell, the founder of the company, falls in the credits between "M" and "O." Everyone on the team is equally important so no need for the egos of having a title in front of your name and/or top billing.

Also, IW, in the beginning of COD4 did the same.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero wrote: »
    "Or does that legal obligation stop at just confirming that you worked there?"

Yeah, for good reason too. Say you were working on something unannounced, that's why the law stops there.
    I think it was also put in place so that past or present employers can't bad mouth employees or give glowing reviews to undesirable employees they would rather see take a new job. I think* you can put down specific people even bosses as personal references and they can be contacted for personal observations and that isn't breaking any laws.

And yea, I really like the idea behind alphabetical order and Valves cooperate structure, but I like knowing who did what. I'll sometimes look to see if people have sites or personal work up anywhere and a big list of names makes that a little tough, meh...
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    By not listing peoples titles it also helps to prevent head hunters from calling and trying to cherry pick talent on big name titles.

Makes it a bit harder if you don't know who the Lead 3d guy was on title "X" or whatever.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree the cooperate statement, the befuddled cherry picking, the overall awesomeness of including everyone, they all outweigh my petty need to catalog talent and search for heroes.

Personally I have a feeling that Valve doesn't need to counter head hunters. It seems the employees are very loyal to the company and its run in such a way that they really would have a hard time finding that some place else. I think that would make it hard to cherry pick. The added layer of protection is more or less a poke in the eye and a reminder of that I guess, ha.
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How about this : Are the companies also allowed to forbid superiors from confirming contributions to the project? This would essentially mean they can block you from accurate reference contacts. Is this something they are legally prevented from doing?

Aren't there a lot of laws around preventing employers from influencing or lying in matters of employment reference?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm pretty sure most companies have pretty strict guidelines saying "just confirm employment" any other info could be construed as negative or positive praise which can turn into lawsuits.
  • oXYnary
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Skulburn wrote: »
    This is exactly why i believe there should be some from of united developer front. Why is the IGDA not sorting this out? We're spending too much time and effort finding out whether games cause violence, and not enough time and effort ensuring that the products, developers and community is the best it can be.

Same question I had once, and told and pwned by Tom B. Thats its not what IDGA was formed for, and if Im so into it, how should I start it?

Like I said pwned, and rightfully so. Someone could spend all their time trying to get a union together and such, but then, never do what they wanted to do in the first place. Personally, I think the best (and actually may be better option) we can hope for is co-op/member/employee owned studios.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    I cant imagine a union ever working in an industry like ours. The competition to get in is too fierce. "You're in a union and I have to pay you what? Ok I'm going to go with this kid from Brazil who works twice as hard for less."

If they fail to credit you, and even if they do, put the art in your portfolio after they release their product. It's much more powerful and useful than an uninformative credit.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    In my opinion, if you are paid for your work you are doing a job and require no credit at all besides some cash in your pocket. I's commonplace and good manners for companys to give credit, but i do not feel its required. my first job contracting i got no credit in the shipped game, but i did go buy a new car with the money that was paid.. that was better.