Home Technical Talk

SSD Performance in 3d/2d Apps

vik
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
vik polycounter lvl 13
I`m thinking of buying a new PC soon and getting an SSD for the OS and main apps (and a larger HDD for archives) as I always found the HDD to be the bottleneck in my old computer.
I`d like to know if anyone here got any first hand experience(pros/cons) regarding the SSDs performance (vs HDD) and if their price could be justified. Is it still early for SSDs or do they actually deliver what they promise - being completely silent and considerably faster than HDDs. Thanks.

Replies

• jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    Intel has some that are almost equal to a regular hard drive in terms of write speed. Your 3D apps load times will be great, but saving large files might be slightly slower.

I think the real bottleneck would be saving large photoshop files and then previewing your textures in your 3D package. This process requires a potentially very large file to be written the hardrive very quickly. Especially if you want to simply alt+tab over to your 3D app and see your changes instantly.

From what I hear Intel is the leader of the pack at the moment.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SDD or not, it would be a better idea to use an action that saves to TGA, loading PSDs in max/etc can use way more resources than its worth, and is prone to terrible memory leaks.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've also heard SSDs get slower over time like other HDDS because of fragmenting or something similar, although i think Corsair?? made a chip that automatically defrags or w/e in realtime to stop that.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some of the newer SSD are insanely fast but they also come with insane prices, it might be better to wait for the prices to come down and the tech to mature a bit more.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    yep, SSD specs are constantly changing, wait a year or so for the thing to settle down and go down in prices
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    SDD or not, it would be a better idea to use an action that saves to TGA, loading PSDs in max/etc can use way more resources than its worth, and is prone to terrible memory leaks.
    I assume most people (me included) often just use Photoshop because its the fastest way to update textures.

Most macro scripts always end up saving to an absolute URL and choosing each time save as .... is just a nightmare if you need to do it very often, adobe should finally provide a function to quickly export (map able) the image to the same local folder with the same base name as the PSD file.

I know there are some panels (swf movies with JS codes in them) or JS scripts but they only work with xtra work or just CS4 (swf panels).
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for the advice. Probably gonna postpone this then at least until Win7 comes out(optimized for SSDs I heard) and they became a bit more mainstream.