Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

40K Necron Flayer

Hello my PC brethren, its been a while since ive posted. Been keeping busy with getting everything ready to graduate. Here is a shot of an asset i did for my asset development class. 800 Tri limit, and it had to be a weapon. Im a HUGE fan of War and War 40k, so i decided on they necron flayer. Im turning it in tomorrow night as what you see here, but I want to continue working on this to make it a quality portfolio piece. Any and all crits are greatly appreciated. So let em fly boys. It is 750 Tri's with 1k maps.

Guass_Flayer_27.jpg
Flayer_Diff_2-1.jpg

Replies

• whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    What do the UV's look like I wonder?
  • VikingJim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here you are, good sir
    FLAYER_UV.jpg
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    not very striking the design and execution, I think you can do better

maybe paint some highlights, add some dirt/ contrast and or bake a cavity/ AO map to support the shape and some details it has.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    Do you have a concept design that we can compare the final product to?

Agree with Renderhjs about paintin in some highlights as well as some color variation. Does this object have a normal or spec map on it? It looks right now like just a diffuse channel is being shown.

The diffuse looks like first pass right now, and would benefit greatly from a bit more love in a detail pass. Consider this WH40K weapon someone made in real life, and have done a great job of painting to look like it's really worn and torn:
    longshot1.jpg
    (http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/longshot1.jpg) in case it doesnt show up

look at the handle there where the grime builds up between the two different surfaces. Try to capture that kind of detail when transitioning between areas such as the handle vs the stock of the gun, or where the axe meets the barrel.

The underlying base texture is clearly visible as the same texture throughout the entire weapon and I would advise going in to different areas of the texture and selecting certain areas that are separate parts and tinting them slightly just to give different sections of the gun variation. This can also be accented in the specular map.

Don't be afraid to do a high poly of this bad boy, it'll REALLY help it in the end. I know you're keeping this weapon relatively low poly, but even new MMO games that are "low poly" are still baking high to low textures on just about everything.

Since you still have 50 tri's t o spare before you hit your 800 tri limit I'd go back in and add some chamfers on selected edges to make the silhouette look less polygon'y. Even if you go slightly over your limit it would be worth it in order to make the weapon look a little smoother.

OOh i think i found something:
    warhammer-40000-dawn-of-war-dark-crusade-20061012025014638-000.jpg

I think this is the same gun you're making. This guy took a little liberty with the coloring which I think overall matches the semi-painted look of the warhammer 40k dawn of war game. See how he has painted in darkness between the subsections of the gun? Smoothe.

Judging by the way you're making your textures for this weapon at this particular point it looks like you want to go more in a photo real direction and if that is the case I recommend adding another 1500 triangles to it and doing a full high poly bake down... that is if you want it to be portfolio worthy.

If you want to take it in a more painterly low poly direction I'd still recommend a simple smoothed version of the gun to bake down just to get some more control over the boxyness of the look of it, and then follow a more hand painted approach than you've taken thus far.

Off to a good start Jim - Keep going - keep posting here!

edit: take another render of this guy... show off how the spec map is working... if you do have one on there already, then I think your lighting is killing it right now.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jim, can you post new renders with better lighting and shadows? Also can you post wireframe and high poly shots?

Have a look at Pior's gun he made. Pay close attention to how he did the spec map and how it plays against the diffuse channel. Look at its reaction in the render.

pior_snake_gun_001.png

Try to replicate this look in your materials and you'll have a higher quality, and much more convincing weapon!
  • torontoanimator
    my main critiquee would have to be its way too boxy, even if its low poly, there shouldnt be such harsh lines
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Gauss-Flayer!

the construction and proportions look a bit off-model. you're missing a lot of the cool details.

reference reference reference!

NecronGaussWeapons.JPG

warriorsiderq3.jpg

warriorfrontmr8.jpg

necron002rv2.jpg
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Post updates? Can we see the high poly and spec map?:
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I can't seem to find where he ever stated he made a high-poly for it. or a spec map.

edit: this thread makes me want to make one!
  • VikingJim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree, its a boxy little bastard. I was shooting for mmo weapon. Believe it or not i did do a high to low bakedown, the map just turned out for shit. At the very bottom is the original handle i made, but ended up dumbing it down and boxing it up to fit the tri count.

asdf.jpg

and here are my maps as requested by sir adam
    allMaps.jpg
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There we go! Nice high poly there, that should serve the purpose just fine to get some good normal control. For some reason the normals just weren't showing up very well in the first render - try changing up your lighting with a three point light setup with a white main light (directional) an orange fill light (spot) and a blue back light (omni) and play with the values until it looks good, and until you can see solid definition of your normals on your low poly, as well as nice highlights on the edges and corners f rom your spec map.

As far as the tris go - if you're truly dead set on keeping it under 800 tris, consider taking a loop or two out of the hose... the ones that wrong lenghtwise, htat will free up a few extra tris for beveled edges on the main sections of the gun. Not only will this give your gun a nicer smoother look but it will also help you control your normals a lot more. When you bake a high to low, the normal directions of your low poly are greatly affected by smoothing groups.

Since your high poly has a nice smooth transition on the 90 degree edges, but your low poly only has a single flat fuckin 90 degree hard edge, you end up with really harsh changes in your normal map. This is because when the normal map is being generated, it is trying to compensate the super hard change in normal angle from your low poly based on the smoother and more gradual angle change in your high poly model. So sticking in beveled edges on those 90 box edges will make it so your normal map doesn't have to work so hard to transition the smooth edge.

Your normal map here looks like it only has a blue channel. Did you just forget to turn on your green and red channels? That would greatly affect your renders.

I like the first high poly you dide, and I think you do too. I say fuck it, go over your 800 tri limit or find an innovative way to work those nice smooth shapes into yoru low poly and get those extra neat looking details into your piece.

Right now your spec map isn't going to do anything for you at all. Go back in to it and scrap the green/black idea. It's gonna make it super flat and wont add any additional interesting detail in the end. Look a few posts up at the handgun that Pior made. See how his spec map has all of that interesting saturation change, red and green hues, and the fat white lines hand painted on to all of the hard corner edges of the gun? It looks cartoony on the spec map, but look at the render. Those uniquenesses in the spec map look AMAZING when the lighting reacts with it. Do something like that with your spec map. Try overlaying a noisy metal texture underneath everything and running a blur filter on it. Go back in and paint some interesting SUBTLE color change in to it, then manually paint in scratches where the corners of the gun are.... Use an AO Bake as yoru guide to help you know where all of those cool hard edges are going to land so you'll know where to paint your scratches.

Ditch the neon green from the spec map altogether. Perhaps it would help you understand how it all works a bit better if you just went back to black and white spec maps for a while. Get a good handle on how the light reacts with those changes in black/white value and then move in to the color of it all.

The black and white makes it REACT with the light, the color makes it Dynamic. Worry about the reaction first. It's more important right now.

All of these changes could be finished within a matter of a few hours - so sit down for a bit and think about how you'll go about executing a new set of textures in order to really sell this thing a GUN instead of just a 3d model.

Hope this helps captain! Anxious to see some modifications!
  • VikingJim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    new specy and lighting via your suggestions.
    3pt.jpg
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Big improvement, Jim
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Much improved man, I can actually see the spec working now :) Looks like the normals are working a little better as well. This is tenfold better already my friend.

Have you put this in a game engine yet? I bret it would look pretty cool in unreal. They simply have better shaders than those available in max or maya.

Marmoset would set this fucker off though! It makes metal look kickass!
  • PureWall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking better. I really like the bottom high poly, i think you can get a low around 800 tris for that and have it look goof, make sure to get rid of the faces you are using for anything.

papa pope showed me this day. had to comment on it.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey Swall welcoem to the boards. word
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    You know your top right green part of the texture? you can use 10 pixels and it would not make a difference but you could use all that uv space to ur gun instead. And the green lighting is also just mirrored in the texture...

Keep it up i love 40K also! :)
  • VikingJim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the positive crits guys! I had just thought of shrinking the green area of the map and replacing it with "lightning tangents" basically of the green stuff swirling about. Im currently reworking the original "bottom" high poly to keep with the 40k style. Then re baking everything down to get cleaner normals that work more efficently. as soon as i make some decent progress i'll throw it up on here. thanks again. Waaaaagh!!
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    presentation wise already very good,- but I still think that the texture and model are not that good.
    suggestions:
    - more industrial tube (looks organic now)
    - not outline effects around characters or logos, that looks just cheap. A dirt border is ok to highlight it but that would be way more subtle.
    - the green looks like a full RGB color, which always reminds me of either lazy coders (coders art), msPaint color palette or some other lousy tool used. Don't just pick the most obvious color. Instead perhaps make it more toxic, brownish (nature, used) or just add a gentle spin to it so that it is not the obvious Green:255 color.
    - some reflection on the glas- tube? its either dusty or shiny right now it is to plain. Add either some dust at the bottom and or top or some reflective effects such as hotspots and or a reflection map.
  • VikingJim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr render, I sampled the color directly from a Necron Codex. It was not being lazy. The "tube" bit I believe is just the outside aura of the innermost "gauss lightning" stuff. Im currently reworking the "not that good" model. Mainly the handle area. Dirt around the Symbol thing would work better tho, i agree.
  • Alec3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, massive improvement!
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    in that case take it as random rant :D
  • VikingJim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update!
    I spent a good chunk of today remodeling the handle. I used the side ortho from the codex as reference to more closely match the proportions of the gun. I modified the low poly and also re layed out the uv's for what i think to be better efficiency. i chose to not overlap uv's so the bakedown will not give me funky colors in the normal.

update.jpg
  • VikingJim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the new handle baked down! Now to repaint my maps.
    newLowPoly.jpg

Flayer_Normal3copy.jpg
  • Papa_Austin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Papa_Austin polycounter lvl 10
    looking a lot better man
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    yup way more appealing
    the handle looks way better now, also those plates next to each other somehow look more convincing in the grey shading, I didn't noticed them in the first pictures as separate items. Perhaps some metal, steel or other industrial material?
  • PureWall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking much better, I'm looking forward to seeing some good spec and color on there. should be pretty cool
  • VikingJim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the kind words fellas, I'm a bit obsessed with this project right now so some new maps should be coming very soon.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    The bake is looking good. You have some wiggly lines that you should clean up in the normals though. But I'm sure you were going to get to these anyways.

Props for having the patients to re-work this one man!
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    way better jim. anxious to see the new textures
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    Pope Adam wrote: »
    way better jim. anxious to see the new textures

I agree. The handle does look better from the last I saw of it. Keep up the good work bud.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    nice lookin better- now fix that hose!
  • VikingJim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another hot wippy. This is just normal and a start of the diffuse, today i was reading an old thread from Vig on painting in scratches. Im really wanting to push this to be a shining star in my portfolio, so keep those crits a comin!
    1.jpg
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    The blade of the axe might use a bit more polies, since as-is, it looks really not rounded. Some texturing there is also a bit sloppy.
    The muzzle texture looks hastily done and half-finished too.
    I like your specular map tho.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    hey man, some huge improvements!

keep it up
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I think you should split the effect out from the weapons texture --> so you can scroll it and set it to additive blend so it won't need an alpha channel.
  • VikingJim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @everyone, thanks for the continued interest. Its kind of a bitch to completely redo an asset, but I really want this to pwn, so i'm giving it some sweet lovin.

zenarion Thanks man, however on that shot there is no spec or glow, but rest assured friend they are a'comin!

Justin_Meisse Could you explain the additive blend process? Any crits from a WAR artist are greatly appreciated :)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    additive works like color dodge in photoshop, it's sweet. It's probably easy to set up in max but I don't know it off the top of my head.

This is something I did over a lunch break a few months ago, basically just scrolling the lightning texture across a plane that gets distorted as it reaches the top, I'm also doing some gamebryo tom-foolery to get vertex-alpha near the top:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoRshxVPs1w[/ame]
  • VikingJim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin, thats super rad! Previously i was just animating the uv's. About 20 minutes ago i was shown the "create lightning" doohickey under the dynamics dropdown in maya. Would this be more applicable?
  • VikingJim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooooohh!
    Personally i like the textured alpha a bit better, but the dynamic lightning kinda wails too.
    Sorry its to my photobucket, but youtube was taking too damn long.
    th_dual2.jpg

• Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Nice job jimmy this has come a long way since you first started.