Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Dvolution/Jordan Ewing- Polycount Newb

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Dvolution polycounter lvl 11
Hey everyone, this is my first day and post on polycount (or any online art community for that matter). I'm currently attending school for game art & design and I have 9 months left in the program. My portfolio isn't remotely near the level I'd like it to be come graduation so that's where the good people of polycount come in!

My website can be found here: http://www.jordanewing.com

Any critiques on the layout of the site and ESPECIALLY the contents would be greatly appreciated. Don't pull punches. Thanks everyone.

PS-The title of "environment artist" on my site is essentially a place holder. I had to declare a focus for my first portfolio class, so I chose what my body of work leaned towards at the time. My first character will be posted shortly.

Replies

• Dvolution
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, even though I haven't gotten feedback I thought I would let you know that I added another drawing comp to the sites gallery.
  • Devin Busha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heya Dvolution, welcome to Polycount! I checked out your site tonight and I have to say that I really dig your 3d environments and 2d life drawings. However (You asked not to pull punches) I feel the 2d digital paintings are really taking away from the rest of your portfolio. The creatures are creative but just don't hold up well with your other more professional / fine art looking work. I'd be very curious and excited to see you do some digital paintings based off your life drawings.

As far as the site goes, have you read fellow Polycounter Jon Jone's article on online portfolios? If not, give it a look. The link http://www.jonjones.us/2005/10/your-...pels-jobs.html.There's a lot from it that I believe could help make your site stronger. A few tweaks and I think you'll be golden. Anywho, keep making art and goodluck. Maybe my noobish crit will attract some more experiened ones.

- Dev
  • Dvolution
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Dev0205, its good to finally have someone respond regardless of whether they claim their crit is newbish, haha. : P Thanks for taking the time and thank you for the compliment, as for the actual crit: when you said the paintings didn't hold up do you mean stylistically or just in general? Just wanted some clarification. Thanks.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    I feel like a lot of your work is either unfinished or just needed 3 more weeks on it to add more details and fluff.

Your Cathedral is nice, but how is that gona translate well into a game? If its not for a game, but cinematic, then why is the rest of your work around game are quality? I noticed immediately that your cathedral has hardly no windows and that you only show upper angle shots. Did you finish the bottom? Is the bottom not interesting to look at? A few more pictures to help establish the size and shape of the building maybe. Your not done with this piece either. Grey is never good unless you have something to back it up (maybe your trying out to be just a modular, or showing off a high poly piece with plenty of low polies to compliment it). Some may take that as your not able to deliver on your work and finish the task at hand.

Your pirate scene is your best piece, but its a little bit to open and in the middle of no were. You placed a lot of detail were the town is at, but neglected the terrain in the background and foreground. Their are alot of clean spots in this town too, were you have piles of "stuff" in this one corner, but then in another, its empty as ever. The ground is pale too, and does not read like dirt, sand or grass.

Your other piece, the tree house thing, is pretty cool. I can see how if its a style your going for and the arid feel then ok. I get this feeling though that the trees are in the middle of no were, cause nothing is in the background to make me believe that this is in a forest area. If its not, and you wanted it to be like this, well, how are you getting that across to someone that you want it to be like this. Personally, a few more details to help deliver the story better, cause its a empty set right now. That goes for the pirate scene to, it just needs more of a story with its entirety.

Anywho, 2D, eh, you got to be bloody amazing if you want to go for both mate. It feels a lot like homework and not actually study that you wanted to do. Its not bad, dont get me wrong, but it seems out of place to what you want to do.

Hope that helps somewhat.
  • jaball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The site in general is simple and easy to navigate... but I really think it could use some design. Put some more into it. This could go either way thou... cause you are also just focusing the visitors attention to the work you want to show. So take that as you will.

As for the work, I want to see more details in the shots you show. Instead of showing multiple angles of the same pirate village, show wires, and maps that you had with it.

Also got to agree with whats_true, the cell shaded tree house feels empty and like you could give it much more love. I say love because its very cool as is and you could have a killer piece with some tlc

As for the 2d, its ok... you know your way around with a pencil but it could be improved alot... with that being said I dont think it is hurting you. I know a guy who is working with a AAA studio who had his 2d work posted with his enviro work. but then again he may have been a robot.

either way, you got 9 months till school boots you onto your ass. Use this time to get your ducks in a row. You have a great start!
  • Dvolution
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks whats_true and jaball, those kind of tear it up crits were exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again.