Home General Discussion

GI Joe movie

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
Didn't see a thread on this yet.

I thought it was DUMB, in the best possible way.

Replies

• jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    :( you gave them your money? You know that's only going to encourage more of this crap to be made.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I got what I expected. 2 hours of popcorn eating movie madness.

I actually liked it. Wish there were more guys like Shipwreck, Beachhead and those guys but overall I enjoyed it.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    I'm going tomorrow with a crew from work. Should prove entertaining.

Btw Jesse, they're saving all of those characters for the sequel, and then the prequel, and then the 4 other sequels.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i cant believe shit like this gets #1 spot in the box office.

well....nm, this is america. hehe. special effects look cool and all but the intro movie just totally made me hate it with that stupid "american badass" song
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    watched it last night, was alright, but it was too long, i almost left the cinema cuz i couldnt handle any more OMFG MICHEAL BAYESQUE EXPLOSIONS
  • CastratedWeasel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CastratedWeasel polycounter lvl 10
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't seen the movie, but it looks like they made some effort to ground it in reality. I mean they turned the Eiffel Tower into green goo, but they're still dealing with terrorists and arms dealers and vaguely realworldy stuff. I think for a GI Joe film to really work it needs to carry over all the fundamental ridiculousness of the toys and cartoon series. Silly characters with unwieldy weapons and jetpacks with rotor blades and whatever else. Insane vehicles that serve very little practical use but have loads or rocket launchers and flashy lights and bits that go "beep". I want a cartoonish Cobra with a modus operandi that makes no sense and a GI Joe that exists soully to foil their crazy scheme.

I'd pay to see that movie.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what is it with hollywood and always fucking up paris?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17

Everyone hates the French. hahahaha

Just kidding Vahl
  • [Deleted User]
    Jackablade wrote: »
    I think for a GI Joe film to really work it needs to carry over all the fundamental ridiculousness of the toys and cartoon series.
    Well honestly, why make it live action at all? Does anybody want that? Wouldn't more people be way happier with an animated feature-length movie that actually adhered to the source material...? I don't get why anybody thinks these old cartoons would work with real people.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    i couldnt handle any more OMFG MICHEAL BAYESQUE EXPLOSIONS

Pussy...

Im going tonight
  • s0id3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
    might see it later today is it worth the money/time?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't seen the movie, but it looks like they made some effort to ground it in reality.
    lol... no.
    I think for a GI Joe film to really work it needs to carry over all the fundamental ridiculousness of the toys and cartoon series. Silly characters with unwieldy weapons and jetpacks with rotor blades and whatever else. Insane vehicles that serve very little practical use but have loads or rocket launchers and flashy lights and bits that go "beep". I want a cartoonish Cobra with a modus operandi that makes no sense and a GI Joe that exists soully to foil their crazy scheme.

Go and pay to see it then. You pretty much described the movie right there!

It is fundamentally ridiculous. They clearly sat down right at the start and said "Physics? Nah. Chemistry? Nah. Basic science fact? Nah. Wayans brother? Yeah. OK, let's just make things spin around and blow up, and have sword fights in between!".

My expectations were set suitably low, and it just about lived up to that. The script is laughable, there are some enormous plot holes, and everything is, well, over the top.

I didn't love it, but I didn't walk away from it thinking I'd wasted two hours though - mainly because I went in needing a break from thinking for that long :)
  • dehebo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    was ok and also bad at the same time.
    Ripcord was just annoying as hell, as was the crappy flashbacks attempting to give life to the characters. Snake Eyes was awesome - as he needed to be since he is the iconic GI Joe character, Stormshadow was pretty shit
    though you know he will be back for the sequel since the cold waters will of frozen him or some BS

some of the CG just looked naff, especially the Joe's drop-ship.
    it does pass for an easy flick to watch for a couple of hours, worse out there
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When ever they do something negative to the French, freedom fry sales go up... along with gun rack sales.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol too good, damn i love this forum!:)
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    Favorite parts where the ice falling like boulders underwater and the crappy animation of the motorcycle racing through Paris.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I went in expecting it to be the worst piece of shit ever. I was pleasantly suprised and actually sat back and enjoyed the action. reminded me of playing with toys when i was a kid, especially the underwater battle.

snakeyes was super cool. Im not a huge GI Joe fan so I dont have anything to compare it too, so it doesnt rape my childhood in any way. Overall I liked it more than transformers 2.
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    1) Is there Baroness?
    2) Does anyone ever yell "COOOBBBRRAAAAA!!!" ?

The fulfillment of these two criteria may convince me to see this film.
  • pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    Kaskad wrote: »
    Well honestly, why make it live action at all? Does anybody want that? Wouldn't more people be way happier with an animated feature-length movie that actually adhered to the source material...? I don't get why anybody thinks these old cartoons would work with real people.

Watch GI Joe: Resolute. It was shown on cartoon network but you can still find the episodes on youtube. As far as I'm concerned, it is my GI Joe movie.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Well, it was pretty much everything I expected. The spectacle of it all, and all of the ridiculous gadgetry and vehicles were spot on for what I remember of the show/toys. The part that fell flat to me were the characters. G.I. Joe to me (80's child) is all about the characters. I felt like Stormshadow and Snake Eyes were were done pretty much perfectly (KID FIGHTS FTW!) My only gripe with snake eyes was his lips. After Optimus Prime, and now Snake Eyes, I feel like I have to state that if it DIDN'T have lips in the 80's, it DOESN'T need lips now!

But the rest of the characters were rather generic and boring. They totally pussified Baroness, and why the fuck do they NEED to add love stories to EVERY FUCKING thing they do!? Scarlett was also made to be pretty lame, Duke just seemed like a pretty generic jarhead, though I guess that's what he always was, and Zartan COULD have been so much more badass. . . But ya, where were Shipwreck, Roadblock, Lady Jaye, etc.?!

And I know they have to do backstory for everyone who hasn't seen it before, but I was kind of sad that there really wasn't much to Cobra in this movie, and that Cobra Commander and Destro really only showed up at the end. I guess what I really wanted to see, is the sequel. (hopefully I was right above, and the other characters will come into it more in the next one.)

Great moments in cinema include: Ice chunks that don't float. High Tech super planes that have physical controls for everything else, but require you to yell at it in Celtic when you want it to shoot. The "weaponizing" of what I thought were already functional warheads, and apparently you just put them into a chamber and spin them around really fast. . .

I did love the fact that they DEFINITELY killed people right and left. The bad guys weren't robots, and even though they didn't show much blood, when a man's head explodes, there's really no question that he's gone. The "Knowing is half the battle" line cracked me up.

Overall, completely ridiculous, but totally entertaining, despite some big time groaners. :::thumbs up:::
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    I think for a GI Joe film to really work it needs to carry over all the fundamental ridiculousness of the toys and cartoon series. Silly characters with unwieldy weapons and jetpacks with rotor blades and whatever else. Insane vehicles that serve very little practical use but have loads or rocket launchers and flashy lights and bits that go "beep". I want a cartoonish Cobra with a modus operandi that makes no sense and a GI Joe that exists soully to foil their crazy scheme.

I second that. Theres a place for fun action movies, and for me it'll be a blast to see a live action version of one of my favorite cartoons and toys. No prob there. Not exactly expecting high drama or anything :D Cmon it's based on a cartoon! Just have fun with it.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Watched it last night. It was fairly long and it dragged on for quite a bit when you thot it was the ending of the movie. Some of the bits were pretty darn cheesey and made you roll your eyes, for example, I just remember it zooming up on the commander dude of the Joes and him smirking after saying something like "Lets get them" or some shit like that. It probably didn't say anything like that but overall that's how cheesey it was.

The story kind of seemed all over the place to me. It just felt like the main story would play out but at some random parts it would take you into some of the peoples past.

Also, it's the rise of the cobra, correct? The damn dude rises at the end....
    (The scientist guy that used to be Dukes freind)
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    To all the haters... I do not understand how you could NOT like such an amazing looking movie!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_YuSBJ0qmQ[/ame]

THE ARTICULATION IS SO AMAZING!! !
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    s0id3 wrote: »
    might see it later today is it worth the money/time?
    Rachel Nichols as Scarlett made it totally worth the money for me.

Sienna Miller as Baroness was also nice, and is much hotter as a brunette.

Frank the Avenger
  • s0id3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
    Frank wrote: »
    Rachel Nichols as Scarlett made it totally worth the money for me.

Sienna Miller as Baroness was also nice, and is much hotter as a brunette.

Frank the Avenger

I am a Rachel Nichols fan :)
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    LOL probably one of the most atrociously bad movies I'd seen in a while. A LOT of the The special effects were PS2 quality.

If the line delivered wasn't a corney 1-liner, it was a setup for a corny 1-liner.

The only thing this movie missed was a montage to 'Danger Zone', although the corney flashback sequences more than made up for it.

:D

I highly recommend this movie as it's SO incredibly bad, it somehow becomes good.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Well, dialogue & flashbacks aside, I liked it. The cartoons are waaaaaaaaay more ridiculous than the movie would had ever been so I was able to look past it.

Coolest part? The dog fights in the water. That shit was awesome :D

Anyone recognize toys they owned? I have a GI Joe buyers guide/encyclopedia at home of every Joe toy ever made, including their mail-in counter-parts so I had to go back from the beginning and reminisce.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    LOL probably one of the most atrociously bad movies I'd seen in a while. A LOT of the The special effects were PS2 quality.

I know, right? I looked over at a mate and we both laughed when a couple of spaceships or something where flying over a desert and touching down. So bad ;p
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Question: Was "Pork Chop Sandwiches" ever mentioned?
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Luxury wrote: »

haha, good one :D
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    I went in expecting to hate it and consequently hate Sommers directing even more...
    I expected to loathe the accelerator suits... but they worked great for their scenes.
    I expected to be all about Duke and his tragic life or something... but they only gave his relevant info.
    I expected them to get characters all wrong or change them to someone random... what was changed only helped the movie.

I got a live action GI Joe cartoon (not Resolute).

I walked away wanting to see it again. :)
    Even my friend who is a hardcore Joe fan (who has a bunch of prototypes and helped start the first customizing boards back in the day) loved it.
    Way better than Transformers 2 and a thousand times better than the piece of trash Wolverine was.

It didn't pretend to be anything other than a fun action movie, like the older scifi/Bond movies.
    If you break down each scene, then yeah, it falls apart and is suuuuper cheesy, but as a whole it worked really well.

I only wish they had done a live action PSA after the credits. :)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    ^ So AWESOME ^
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I hated that they changed the characters origins and their relationships in what seemed a really pointless fashion. since it didn't add jack shit to this movie, the 80s characters seemed to work fine why mess with them. But whatever, it was better than transformers, ouch.... No shakey cam, lots of action, good pacing, timing and framing. Snake eyes, Storm shadow love triangle sort of pissed me off, so pointless, but at least their fight scenes were sweet. Snake eyes with lips... enough said, no need to say how freaking lame it was to give him lips. The prick doesn't talk.... I guess we got another trilogy on our hands...

Gi Joe is supposed to be cheesy. :D did you ever watch the cartoons? LOL But seriously whoever came up with you can call me .... needs to be shot and burned. It's like you can say GI Joe but you can't say his full name. Thanks for sucking!!!!
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    Luxury wrote: »

If it had the PSAs I would have seen it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLqqW8eCB4U[/ame]
  • s0id3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
    I just got back from seeing and honestly I liked it. It's over the top lots of action and cheesy, but hey it felt like G.I. Joe, just live action.

And Rachel Nichols was pretty hot.