Home Technical Talk

3ds Max performance issues

polygon
Offline / Send Message
fullofclovers polygon
I've been researching this issue like crazy the last few days but can't figure it out. I have two computers with 3ds max 2010 installed on both machines. My machine with vista ultimate 64, 8gb memory and a 9800 gx2 512mb video card performs worse than my XP 32bit, 3gb memory and a 6800 256mb video card. Both machines are using DirectX 9 for viewports.

Slow down is most notable when I throw an FFD modifier on the stack. Some basic operations like opening the material editor or preferences also are slower. On my vista machine it chugs down to 3fps while with the same mesh it flies in XP. Although when I change my graphics driver to OpenGL it maintains high fps viewport feedback.

Another annoyance experienced on both machines is when I change selection modes in Edit Poly the command window flickers a few times before showing those tools in that selection set. I've only ever used max at home so maybe its just a normal thing. Really not a big deal but it does make selections a tiny bit slower when powering through editing a mesh. I might just be a bit picky.

I have reinstalled a couple of times and updated drivers.

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    The most obvious thing to try is to disable Aero. since that thing is 3D, it taxes the vidcard. 3D windows are most certainly the dumbest OS feature ever invented...

Also 2010 has UI features that are now known for slowing down things. I would say go for a fresh 2009, it's supposedly the best 3DSMax available.
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |Buddy| polycounter lvl 11
    I used max2008 on my previous xp x64 installation, it was running fast.
    Then i switched to vista and max2008 performance was slightly slower, tested max2010 trial and it was slow as shit.
    Went back to xp x64 and using max2009 now, not even close to max2008 performance unfortunately :S

6gb 8800gt
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree that 2009 is probably the wise app to use when you compare apples to apples.

I haven't tried this or even researched it but are you running 32bit max on a 64bit system? I think Vista has a the capacity to run 32bit programs in the 64bit version but it does it by further bogging down the system by running a 32bit emulator kind of like running a windows emulator inside the Mac OS if I understand it all correctly.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I'm pretty sure running 32bit apps on a 64bit system does not tax performance, especially as there are so many of them. That being said, no reason not to go for 64bit Max if you have a 64b OS.
  • fullofclovers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fullofclovers polygon
    Aero is disabled. I agree it is a resource sucker.

Also, does Max support multi-GPU's? My video card is physically two cards in one. Maybe its confusing the app somehow and not being used to its full potential?

Vig: I'm running 64bit.

So the general consensus is to install Max 2009. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the feedback guys.
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    It sucks, but if it`s any comfort at least you are not the only one

I find that disabling the ribbon and the viewcube may improve viewport performance a bit (roughly 20% more fps in my test scene) but won`t solve the mysterious flickering when selecting SOs in Editable Poly or the FFD modifier problem

This is all in max2010 64, vista 64 and newest nvidia drivers on a fast machine..oh well..

ps: yeah, aero is retarded
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    odd though after my recent computer death i am back on my system from 2003 and its still manages ok. The only bottleneck is loading textures, but zbrushing is totally fine.
    specs are p4, 1GB ram, crappy 5200fx vid card

I am doing good work on it though which surprises me

I find that some of these monster machines with 8gb memory and dual/quad core a tad disappointing.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    try this:

create about 50-60 spline objects, with around 20-30 lines each.
    does your viewport chug?

i think it might be a vista 64+ nvidia driver incompatibility issue.
  • fullofclovers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fullofclovers polygon
    @ vik - I do take comfort finding out I'm not alone with these problems. Yeah I disabled all that junk. But at that point might as well revert back to an older version since your not using all that crap. I'm happy I made the switch back to 2009.

@ Ruz - I hear ya. My older comp still holds it's own workwise too. I'm happy I still have it in case my newer one blows up. Lol.

@ dejawolf - I should have clarified with my first post. Viewport feedback is great until I throw an FFD on the stack.

So I re-installed 2009 and everything works great with the exepection of the flickery sub-object selection issue. No biggie, I can deal with that. Man is Max2010 clunky and bogged down.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I am sure that many will disagree, but you could also consider getting rid of vista altogehter (and also, not buying the windows7 hype). My current machine runs better than anything I have used ever, yup even compared to supposedly crazy good vista rigs.

I have basically two computers in one, multi boot, on two separate drives.

Boot 1 is my 'crapboot', in the sense that, I put all the games and all the apps I want to try on it. winXP32 home. Runs like a champ, but if it start acting weird, i just reinstall it.

Boot 2 is a bit special. It's winXPpro64, running on SSD drive. It is high performance (great for mudbox, AO bakes, all that) but it is also locked in terms of config. I dont install anything besides the bare minimum for art creation, and at each restart, it goes back to the previous safe state it was thanks to deep freeze (cheap program, works wonders, buy it!)

It's a bit of a convoluted setup, but it is fantastic to work with. If you find a config that you like (2D and 3D apps running smoothly, on a stable OS that wont need any more dowloadable updates anymore), I would greatly recommend freezing it and sticking to it. Best computer use I ever experienced.

Good luck!!