Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

gausswerks portfolio and ludicrous triple website

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
gauss polycounter lvl 18
alright dammit reports of my death may not be greatly exaggerated, but i'm not dead. :)

monahan15.jpg

http://www.gausswerks.com/

just busy with the infernal art of level design, for which i have finished my new portfolio for. wouldn't look too closely at some of the screenshots if you don't want to spoil some of the coolest locations in Darkest of Days...

but still up to my old tricks, i did a lot of concept work on DoD as well (visible at the bottom of the folio).

so yes i'm job hunting for a level designer position on a first person shooter/related titles type game. tell your friends and your bosses, be they not too crooked. :D

monahan31.jpg

and because everyone knows that if artists have one problem, it's that they just can't stop rigorously maintaining their website. you say "man, tell me about it! it's like i never seem to post on any forums but i sure do put up regular content on my website!"
to combat this, i have wisely decided to have one proper portfolio site, to rework and reskin the art blog i used to semi-maintain, as well as add another blog to the roster to talk about horrible ideas i keep having about game design, level design, and illustrated daydreams about rebooting IPs.

so from the top, check out and comment on:
http://www.gausswerks.com for the portfolio,
http://gausswerks.blogspot.com for pictures and
http://designreboot.blogspot.com for design. simple enough, eh?

not quite enough content to make up for my length of absence, but it's something.

Replies

• Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Amazing work. I'm sure you will have no problem finding work.
  • EarthQuake
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    shit sux

yeah no kidding. like who made those dogs in that first screenshot? has that guy even seen a dog before? does he know dogs aren't actually carved out of plastic?
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diggin that snowy forest!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Awesome job dude. Your descriptions are great to describe the work you've done. Any way to credit the artists who did art for your shots? I ask purely because I'd like to link over to their portfolios to see some of their work as well (assuming they've done their portfolios with DoD content as well).
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    "not quite enough content to make up for my length of absence, but it's something"...

Gauss you are full of it. LOL You worked on an indie project that is about to hit the stores. Doesn't that explain your absence? Been there done that, except the game never hit the stores, glad it worked for you. Congrats! How many all nighters did you have to pull? Nice job man.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    gauss: There you are! :) Nice portfolio, I didn't realize you worked on DoD. It makes it that much cooler IMO. Yeah, a breakdown of your exact contributions to those images would be cool.
  • BlackulaDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think i just saved half the images on your site to my inspiration folder. also i'm pretty sure dogs ARE carved out of plastic. also I can't wait to play this game
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    looks great! i'm having trouble saving images though. I right click and select "save link as" but it keeps saving an htm file instead. I'm using google chrome
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I like the contents, but I really wish the 3 folios were linked together by some sort of a top tab system. Two sites might be okay, but three really is confusing.
    For instance when applying for a job ... the recruiter and AD might be very interested in your multiple talents, but will have the hardest time browsing the content over 3 websites (2 of them having almost the same name too!)

Kickass stuff tho!
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    thanks everyone.

adam: glad you like it. i've tried to point out when it might be confusing, particularly the large-scale models like the colosseum built by vahl, but since it was such a small, key talent pool (EQ, johny, per, vahl) building virtually all assets visibile, i can't see why i can't mention and link them (though i won't be able to directly from the descriptions).

Sage: it's been months since i've played the game myself so i'm pretty excited to give the completed game a full playthrough myself.

brad: yeah i'm having a little trouble with that... to you or anyone else, what's the best way for wording it? i need to say that all scripting, terrain sculpting, and placement/"arrangement" is mine, but no asset creation. i did a huge amount of work but obviously don't mean to step on the toes of our excellent artists. (at least not do it here on polycount :D )

blackula: have pity on EQ, they were his first dogs. as a small child he only had plastic dogs to play with, it's all he knows :)

alexk: i need to clarify that remark--because of the javascript image viewer, you need to right-click save link as on the thumbnails, not the images while in the gallery mode. i'll correct that.

pior: thanks man and yes, that's my last remaining task that needs addressing. the other sites have buttons but they're way down at the bottom, i might have to end up with a sidebar or other such clearly distinguished selector for the three sites.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    awesome work as usual man ! :)
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Nice stuff mate. Does everybody work in Mobo at that studio?

2KBoston looking for level artist btw
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Nice work there Gauss, cant wait to pick up DOD myself and try it out. Would be cool to see stuff there by people that I "know" here on polycount. Best of luck in job hunting!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    yay! good to see your stuffs. thanks for sharing dude, been itching to see some of this
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    If you had one more website they would be aquambo! Nice work!
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice work throughout though the three websites need to somehow be linked together in a more simple fashion. Really liked the design one, nice concept work.

An idea might be a splash page with a banner type link to each site?
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    g-gauss? is it really you? .O_O.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    thanks everybody.
    whats_true wrote: »
    Nice stuff mate. Does everybody work in Mobo at that studio?

2KBoston looking for level artist btw

preciate it, and thanks for the heads up. 2k boston is one of the places i'll be looking at.
    c0ldhands wrote: »
    Nice work there Gauss, cant wait to pick up DOD myself and try it out. Would be cool to see stuff there by people that I "know" here on polycount. Best of luck in job hunting!

yeah it doesn't get a whole lot more ensemble-polycount projects that darkest of days; ninjas, EQ, johny, vahl, per and myself on the project. we're all pretty pumped to see it get released.
    well maybe not per. he lives in spain now, who knows what gets his motor started. (i bet it has to do with dirty pillows.)
    Ninjas wrote: »
    If you had one more website they would be aquambo! Nice work!

sites aq-q-q-quambo! i'll end up having to make a fourth site simply to collect accolades for the other sites.

carlo_c wrote: »
    Really nice work throughout though the three websites need to somehow be linked together in a more simple fashion. Really liked the design one, nice concept work.

An idea might be a splash page with a banner type link to each site?

yeah i'm still figuring out... all three are linked on the bottom now of the main site. splash pages are a no-go, since it's got to be a single click between opening the site and seeing the first piece from the portfolio. still might be an elegant way to solve this.

g-gauss? is it really you? .O_O.

yes kp i'm back and i'm sorry i ever left <3
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Yes. I wholeheartedly approve and thumb up this.
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    cool work gauss, good to see you pimping stuff again