Home General Discussion

Firefox color management

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
I was looking at a tekzilla daily tip and thought I would pass this on.

http://revision3.com/tzdaily/2008-08-25ffcolor

when I switched this in my firefox config file it now looks the same as IE. Hopefully this helps other people out there:)

Replies

• metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    very interesting Popeye!

• TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    I dont have that code/settings in firefox oddly... hmm
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys followed a tutorial which features this in the summary: "Firefox dulls the appearance of webpages to give you faster performance" ?

What this setting does is enable firefox to display different colour-profiles, when a file contains these.

http://www.dria.org/wordpress/archives/2008/04/29/633/
    Why wouldn’t you want it turned on?

So, if color profile support is so awesome (and it really is, in my opinion), why won’t it be on by default for Firefox 3? There are two main reasons.

First, color profile support causes a roughly 10-15% performance hit in many of our performance tests. If the images that you’re viewing are of a reasonable size, that’s probably negligible. If they’re large, it could be noticeable. We’re working on improving the performance of this feature so that we can turn it on by default in future releases.

Second, plugins do not currently support color profiles. What this means is if a plugin has been color-matched precisely with other parts of the page, it may no longer match when color profile support is turned on. As an example, here are two screenshots of a plugin displayed on the GuildWars game website, Firefox 2 on the left, and Firefox 3 (with color profile support enabled) on the right. You’ll notice that the background grey on the Firefox 3 screenshot is a lot darker, so the corners and bottom of the plugin no longer match it exactly. This is caused by color profile support being enabled — if disabled, Firefox 3 renders the background grey exactly the same way as Firefox 2.

So, there are currently some trade offs involved with enabling color profile support, and the Firefox 3 developers have opted to leave it disabled by default for the time being. That said, I have been using Firefox 3 with color profile support enabled for months and have never encountered any noticeable performance impact. It is likely that a future version of Firefox will see this feature enabled by default, which will be a happy day as everyone will then be able to see photographs on the web as they were meant to be seen. There will be great rejoicing.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    I use the color management app: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6891
    and using
    ok_ramp.jpg
    for adjusting brightness.
    "Along the top of the strips are alternate patches of black and dark grey. If it looks solid black to you (look very carefully), your monitor's brightness setting is too low. Increase it until you can -just- perceive the difference between the grey and the black squares."

With this I was able to get the same image/look across my Mac and PC Firefox browsers.

(Came in handy when my uuuuuuuuuuber picky roommate was uploading images and nitpicking very minute color differences or outright rage when going from one computer/Photoshop/browser to the next and having differing contrasts in her images she uploaded.)
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    MightyPea wrote: »
    You guys followed a tutorial which features this in the summary: "Firefox dulls the appearance of webpages to give you faster performance" ?

I followed this cause when I switched it off the colors that I am using showed up correctly. The performance hit with it off is not noticeable to me. I found with it on everything would get a lot darker and the colors where not right. I would rather have things right:)
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm just saying, I'd have trouble taking people seriously if that was their summary of it.

'The internet has trouble with displaying bright colours. They clog up the tubes'
    I just wanted to offer a more detailed explanation of what it did.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    I dont have that code/settings in firefox oddly... hmm

Same here. This is what I've got...

wu30g5.jpg

Running 3.51 now of course. They are talking about v3 and the video itself is from August 2008. gfx.color_management.mode is what that became but it is not a T/F boolean anymore. So, yeah...not sure what to touch...