Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Kriss Super V - WIP

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
brandoom polycounter lvl 13
Hey guys,

Well I just started my newest project yesterday, and I thought keeping a WIP thread would be a nifty idea.

kriss_crb_so.jpg

Heres the gun, this is also my main reference image for modeling. This will be my first time modeling something this technical. Mad props to Racer for his great AK tutorial - learnt a lot from it and will most likely refer back to it a few times before this is complete.

I haven't really given myself a time line for this project. But I thought having the highpoly finished by the end of the week is a realistic goal. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes me longer though.

superv1.jpg

There is the start. Not much to see yet. So, I'll go grab some more coffee and then back to work!

Replies

• brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update:

superv2.jpg

superv3.jpg

Its coming along nicely thus far. I'm a little unsure about the green and yellow body peices. I decided to make them separately becuase i thought it might be easier in the end for modeling, but its giving me a couple problems where the shells are ejected.

Anyway thats it for now. Perhaps more later.

crits & comments always welcome :)
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Wow, lots of gun WIP threads now that Racer released that tutorial!

Anyways, I have actually made this gun (a slightly different version) before. You can check my portfolio if you want to see my results.

Also, this guy did a really nice job on the kriss: http://adrianzamora.carbonmade.com/projects/75305
    FYI, He was a big source of inspiration while I worked on my Kriss

Currently, it seems your giving a few too many updates. Also, since your just showing the wireframe, I can only guess how it is smoothing when subdivided. It looks like you might get pinching by the little circular area at the bottom with your current mesh flow. You might also find that when you subdivide this the model is too boxy. Be careful particularly with the grip area.

You were right to model the green and yellow parts separately btw. Try to model things separately as much as possible. That's actually how the gun is made, and makes life easier for you.
    So my advice, keep working on this and post when you have all the major forms modeled and subdivided to get crits. Then adjust your mesh and move onto the details. When you post your next update, it would help a lot to have a subdivided version with wire frame and without.
    Good luck dude!
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply Brad,

when originally researching the Kriss, thanks to google, i stumbled upon your original polycount thread for your Kriss. which i must say turned out nicely! I hope that mine turns out as nice, if not nicer ;) And thanks for that link. He did great job on his model as well.

Too many updates. Your probably right. The smoothing I've been keeping an eye on. Any areas that don't look right I usually try and fix until moving on to another part of the model.

Thanks for the advice, be sure to stay tuned :)
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all,

back with some updates.

render01.jpg
    render03c.jpg
    render02.jpg

superv5.png

Its coming along alright. I don't think im going to bother with the iron sights. The notches on the rails ill put in once i start the low poly, that way i can just dup them and save some time. After taking those renders I noticed the green part of the sight is a little boxy so ill have to touch that up. As well, the inset above the clip is losing its shape a little bit. After I fix those two issues I'll move on to creating all the floating geo :)

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Nice job so far, I think the biggest issue is the gun looks too thin ATM. I think you could make it about 50% wider. Also, I think the trigger guard is a lot wider. Also, I think you should model the holes that connect the parts together. I'm thinking specifically with the expansion chamber part (I may be using the wrong term but the cylindrical part you hold with one hand up front). That part if unscrewed slides in and out. I think modeling detail there, instead of intersecting geometry makes a big difference.
    Your progressing nicely, keep going!
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all,

been awhile since updating this thread. I got busy with another project and had to put this one aside for a while.

Here are some updates on the highpoly. I think I'm just about ready to move onto low poly :)

render1ola.jpg
    render2.jpg
    render3.jpg
    render4.jpg

Crits and Comments always welcome :)
  • Mohawkd_Zombie
    looking good Brandon. keep it up
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great, nice work.

Me thinks the Kris is the new AK-47. Must be curriculum somewhere?
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Ha ha... we would be so lucky to have hard surface in our curriculum :P

Like i said before Brandon, looking sick buddy.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

And yes, highpoly modeling and normal baking needs to be in your curriculum. Thats something I'm going to bring up when I go to that meeting with Matt in Sept.
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    ^^ I don't understand why courses aren't teaching it, I finished mine without touching hard surface or normal mapping, or even sculpting in zbrush / mudbox.. Kinda annoying really that i've had to teach myself what should be in any 3d course these days.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Back with a couple updates.

Finished off the low poly model and the (crazy) uv map. Going to stick to one 2048 map.

Lowpoly. Right now, only 2300 poly. The number will go up, but not much.

lpwire.jpg

Pretty Colours.

uvlayout.png

uv

uvmap.jpg

Alright, back to work! C&C as always :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The model is looking pretty good, there are a few edges I don't understand and I think they could be taken out and optimized but I don't think it would lower the count that much and you might have a reason like a texture seam or something?

Might want to give some pieces a bit more padding in case this ever gets down res'ed. Maybe I'm a dinosaur but 2048 seems a bit big? Mirroring and offsetting some of the pieces could allow you to scale up the pieces and take more advantage at a lower res.