Home Technical Talk

No seams in Max, seams in Unreal

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
alexk polycounter lvl 12
Trying to get my hands dirty with making a simple box building and running into a problem. In max, my building has no seams but after import into Unreal Editor, there are seams. Heres a screenshot:

problembuilding.jpg

And here is the texture I am using. The bottom half is a tiling texture which is only half of the texture sheet, so I can use the top space for another tiling texture.

problemtexture.jpg

And here is the UV layout I have.. I've only really UV'ed the front and then ran into this problem

problemuv.jpg

How do I get it so that when it's in UnrealEditor, I won't have those nasty seams?

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Mip-mapping.
    If you've put the top of your UV layout there at exactly half way up the UV bounds, then as soon as you mip down a level, the mid-point pixel will inherit the white from your texture at the top.

The solution is to move the top of your UV layout down a few pixels.

Also you could test this in Max by making sure mip-mapping is turned on in the viewport, display the texture and zoom out a bit - you'll see the white line kick in after you zoom out a little way.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is why padding your UV seams is so important.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    how do I turn on mip-mapping on the viewport? I'm currently using max 2010.. thanks
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    MoP and Vig are right. One other thing to add - unreal saves memory by using imprecise UV's. You can toggle off this feature in the static mesh browser just under the LODInfo where you plug your materials into - its called 'Use Full Precision Uv's'. This can sometimes be the cause of unwanted seams even after you've adjusted your UV padding.

-Tyler
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk wrote: »
    how do I turn on mip-mapping on the viewport? I'm currently using max 2010.. thanks
    Customize > Preferences > Viewports tab > Configure Driver > MipMap Lookup (bottom right).