Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gladiator

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
mLink polycounter lvl 10
Hey everybody, I started a new character the other day, it's a roman gladiator. The shield and sword are close to being done, unless you convince me otherwise with your comments. There are still a few armor pieces left to model and sculpt.

Here's the sculpt I'm basing it off (changed the head since I wasn't fond of the original).

ML_GladiatorWIP02.jpg

ML_GladiatorWIP02_wire.jpg

ML_GladiatorWIP01.jpg

Replies

• d00kie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d00kie polycounter lvl 17
    Nice gear! The sword and shield look great. My only quirk is that the gold isnt covering all the edges on the shield. There's still an area of gray where the gold is rounded off. Maybe that's the design of the shield, i dunno, but it looks strange.
    As for the gladiator mesh, it could just be the angle, but the foot area seems askew. Maybe his ankles are too large or his feet are too small? I can't tell. :/
    Keep goin, it's look great!
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    altho his pose suggests something dinamic he seems pretty rigid, that shield and sword look awesome :D
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    I really love this sculpt! The anatomy looks great, the cloth looks great and the in-game shield and sword look great. No crits to be honest. It's also nice to see that you can not only do creatures like i saw on your site, but humans too.

I also looove the site where you got this idea from. I'm bookmarking it for sure.

I look forward to seeing this finished!
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Definitely not loving the pose :x sorry. But do you have an un-transposed model we could see? :)
    Everythings looking great as mentioned already!
  • Alec3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shield = great, pose = what the.....
  • mLink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mLink polycounter lvl 10
    I've been busy with work, so it has taken me a bit longer than expected to get another update on here.

The black on the corners is because I don't have enough polys to support the curve, it's painted gold, the normal map just doesn't want you to see it. :) I'll go add a couple verts in there to round it out some.

Hopefully the pose is better now, I got the rest of the objects in there too, I still need to scrape up the armor.

ML_gladiatorWIP04.jpg
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    This is turning out really cool. Looks like he should be made out of bronze or something.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Really coming along. The posing of the sheild kinda bugs me though, it looks like it'd be super heavy but he's just holding it up with the strength of his wrist, almost like you'd hold onto a door handle before you open it since it's simply suspended.
    Might want to consider rotating it in so it's resting against his ankle a bit. I also think this might counter his pose nicely.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Model and Texture are looking great. It dose seem you could strip out a few of the horizontal edges on the shield
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    impressive shot
  • torontoanimator
    dude....this is bloody epic! and the sword is just plain bloody :P i really like how realistic this guy is, like i could see him in an arena battling tigers for his freedom! though i wsh he had hair lol, i could really see him with some short scruffy hair
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Wow, this is really good! I guess this is the human character for your gallery you were talking about huh?
    I'm definitely looking forward to more.