Home Technical Talk

[Hardware] Average Quad Core or high dual core?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
I'm sorry if it sounds like a silly question but I'm not really good at analysing hardware specs.

I'm about to buy an Alienware M17X (YAY) with :

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000(2.00GHz,1066MHz,6MB L2 Cache)
4 gigas DDR3 (1333MHz Dual Channel)
Geforce GTX 260M 1 Giga Vram
etc.

I was really surprised to see that some dual core are more expensive than Quad (even with small frequency differences. Like Quad 2.00 Ghz VS Dual "Extreme" 2.56 GHz.

My goal is to have this as my main workstation at home (I won't have any office room anymore, so the laptop was the only solution ;) ).

Would you choose a quad or a dual core to work wit Zbrush, mudbox, photoshop or any other graphical package ? It looks like having Quad core is better when you're working with multiple apps at the same time, but, really, I don't know. I thought I could ask here :)

Replies

• NoisyMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If it will be your main workstation, I'd say go for the quad core. Definitely better at handling multiple apps at the same time and will also help out when rendering.

Since its a laptop though, heat is going to be your main enemy and this beast will quickly overheat. You're going to want to spend the extra cash on a really good lap fan/cooler.

I know you said you can only get a laptop, but for a workstation, I would still highly recommend you find the space for a desktop pc :P
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got a q6600 and the quad core REALLY comes in handy for doing renders in modo, and rendering normals/AO/etc in xnormal. If your apps are multi-threaded the quadcore is going to be a lot better for these CPU intensive tasks. I would even sya go for the i7 920, but that will likely push up the cost of your system quite a bit.

Mudbox etc i think you'll see benifits with quadcore in mind. I think maybe some games you would see a little faster with the dual cores, but production apps should all run better on a quad core. Esp having say, MB and PS open at the same time.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    I'd go for a Quad, those things are pretty cheap nowadays. i7's are still quite expensive, and i'd wait for the newer versions (i5/i9) to come out.

Core_stor001.jpg
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    thx for all the answers guys, it makes perfect sense now ! :) The configuration I chose is the maximum amount of money I can put into a PC (damn portable extra cost :/). So I guess, I'll go for this one and let's hope it won't be outdated too quickly (for a laptop, of course).

As a side note, I made a few "VS" tests (with Toshiba Qosmio, etc) and I found AlienWare not that expensive for the "monster" you can get under your keyboard. It's definitly a little bit expensive, though, but more like 200$ than 1000$.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I'd still say Alienware isn't worth your money. Look at some other brands like Lenovo or Sony.