Home General Discussion

Getting paid!

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
ablaine polycounter lvl 14
Hey all, quick question:

As someone who is about to pick up their first paying freelance gig, how should I decide on how much to charge the client? It's going to be character modeling work, but nothing overly complex. And the client wants to see how the first character turns out and then will be needing characters on a continual basis so he asked me to determine what would be fair pay for both of us based on that.

Any suggestions? Are there hard and fast rules for this sort of thing? Or any guides out there? I don't know if it makes a difference but i'm in the LA area. I also have a full time job so this wouldn't be a primary source of income. But it's intriguing.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    When I first started freelancing about a year ago, I went the route of figuring out how much a project might take to complete, then multiplying that by an hourly rate I thought I was worth.

Don't undercharge, because undercharging is the death of all freelancers, but don't overcharge either, as you're more likely to bounce the client onto someone else.

Be fair and honest and you should find it works best for you :)

Best of luck!
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    How much do you want to get paid per hour, then equal it out to how many hours you plan to work on a character, or just figure out one lump some.

But also check out turbo squid and see what prices are there for characters as that is where most companies (to my knowledge) head to before requesting assistance from a "free lancer or temp".

Example:
    $10 an hour, 4 hours, 40 dollars a character depending on what is going into the character what the quality is like and how much is it worth really.

edit:
    nice killzone work gly.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    maybe $300, considering the circumstances, is what I would charge, but then more for the next model if he likes the quality. When I started I billed $15/hr, but made sure I only charged for hours of intense work. Later, once I had more clients and a proven history I charged more.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    $!nz wrote: »
    $10 an hour

and then you start working in the shopping mall to earn your living?

also looking at turbosquid, really the prices are there so the character makes money and money the more people will buy it, while a exclusive character is exclusive and only pays you once.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas wrote: »
    maybe $300, considering the circumstances, is what I would charge, but then more for the next model if he likes the quality. When I started I billed $15/hr, but made sure I only charged for hours of intense work. Later, once I had more clients and a proven history I charged more.
    The problem with this is that if you throw a cheap quote at them and they give you repeat work, you can't survive on $300 a project. So then you have to jack the price up to what you'd expect, which would no-doubt make them suspicious as to why you're now charging more.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Neox wrote: »
    and then you start working in the shopping mall to earn your living?

also looking at turbosquid, really the prices are there so the character makes money and money the more people will buy it, while a exclusive character is exclusive and only pays you once.

It was just an example.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Estimated Hours+Possible Rework (usually 0.5x1.0 of Estimated Hours, depending on how much ref you get)*HourlyWage.

Don't forget about re-work. If they're giving you concepts and you're going to stick strictly too them, you will only get minor changes, but if they say "make a pirate" and they wanted something entirely different you could wind up scrapping most/all the character.

Rework is really the hard issue, imho - having set, up-front expectations on both sides about what is acceptable amounts of rework is critical. Making it clear that part of your fees include scheduled re-work, and how much is scheduled, is very important, imho. Otherwise you get the client that has you build 5 characters for a 1 character contract. If both parties are finding that there is very little re-work, you can always offer to reduce the charges on future models if little re-work is required for future models.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    The problem with this is that if you throw a cheap quote at them and they give you repeat work, you can't survive on $300 a project. So then you have to jack the price up to what you'd expect, which would no-doubt make them suspicious as to why you're now charging more.

I would tell them up front "since this is sample work, and you aren't sure of the quality, we can do this as a test asset for 300, but if you like the work my normal rate is 500/per character"

I mean, you can call it how you want. Just saying what I would do in the situation.

About $10/hour being too little. I worked at Wal-Mart for 7.50/hour before quiting to do freelance full time, and considered 10-15/hour to be awesome. I took any job I could get. Even stuff for $50 from random websites, or to do little graphics.
    Rework is really the hard issue, imho - having set, up-front expectations on both sides about what is acceptable amounts of rework is critical. Making it clear that part of your fees include scheduled re-work, and how much is scheduled, is very important, imho. Otherwise you get the client that has you build 5 characters for a 1 character contract. If both parties are finding that there is very little re-work, you can always offer to reduce the charges on future models if little re-work is required for future models.

this is a really good point. Some people will ask you to rework stuff over and over endlessly. Sometimes even for good reason (like your work is not to the quality they need) Be wary of getting into that situation. For rework I would say that any reworking is going to have to be paid for on a per hour basis.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slight rework is inevitable in most cases, it comes with the job, so I don't think charging extra for it is reasonable or practical. It takes some getting used to how much that "some" is, but really, if you're doing your job, it shouldn't be a big deal, and it is the clients job to make sure you have info and direction good enough to minimize it. If the client changes his mind on something and that is the cause of the rework, then ofcourse you'll have to charge for it - that's a different story. Other than that, I'd go with something like what Ninjas is suggesting (ie do the test asset for a bit cheaper), since I'm guessing in your case there is no portfolio to negate the need for a test asset - would be easier to determine where you're at if you had one!
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Ninjas wrote: »
    maybe $300

for a character? thats way low.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Asmuel wrote: »
    for a character? fuck no. way low.

well, his only description was "character modeling." Maybe he's doing a 300 poly char, no textures. Maybe he's doing a full sculpt. I dunno...

[take what you want to make per year, divide by 1000, and there's your hourly wage]
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah. Reworking is a big deal for most of the work I do.

If you think reworking is a major point of the contract, then spell your terms out in the contract before you start the work - It's time you're spending working on something for someone else, so it's a point to consider.

Most full-time freelances charge for time spent in phonecalls with their clients, for the time they spend meeting with them, etc. You don't have to go that far; It all depends how seriously you're taking it.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel wrote: »
    for a character? thats way low.

It depends a lot on the asset and how fast you work, but that would be a discount rate for a test asset.

I have done a pretty decent skin-gen pokemon style character in an hour. $300 for an hour of work is pretty good.

Some small tweaks as you work are totally reasonable and expected. You should give them updates as you work to make sure you are hitting expectations, to help minimize any rework near the end.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Never, ever charge a flat rate. This is the freelancer's worst nightmare. If you charge a flat rate, the client will do whatever they can to take advantage of this, and screw you over. Client's are much more reluctant to make unneccessary changes when they know you are charging them by the hour. And if they want to make the changes anyway, well, that's fine...because you're charging them by the hour.

Flat rate projects are the death knell for your average free-lancers. If you let a client spam revisions, they will spam it to death. For a free lancer, nothing is more important than getting paid.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    There's no blanket answer here. Figure out what your hourly rate should be, then estimate how much time it should take to complete. Multiply time by 130% or so to cover revisions, etc. This is what you should charge.

Make sure you know exactly what the client wants. Is it a simple model from a concept that they will provide? Or a baked from high res character with diffuse/spec/normal, prepped for facial animation, and detailed as all-hell based off of concepts that you create and must be approved? One might take you an hour or two, the other might take several weeks. Really take the time to consider exactly what you will need to do at various phases, and how much time each phase will realistically take.

Then be very clear that any extensive re-works (not minor revisions) will not be covered.
  • ablaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ablaine polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks everyone!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Holy shit 300 for a character. You are insane. I wouldn't do a wii type character for that little.

If it involves high poly, game, and textures then man i wouldn't ask for less than 800-1200.

I have done really small things in the past. Tables, rocks, etc that have paid 350-500.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You need this book.
    Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing & Ethical Guidelines

Not just for graphic artists either.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Don't undercharge, because undercharging is the death of all freelancers
    So would you be against altering your prices for a client with less assets?

I find myself in a similar position to Ablaine. I've got a guy from Garage Games interested in getting me to do some paid freelance work. It's the first income I'll have gotten in the last couple of months and I'm wary about scaring him off by asking for too much.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    So would you be against altering your prices for a client with less assets?

I find myself in a similar position to Ablaine. I've got a guy from Garage Games interested in getting me to do some paid freelance work. It's the first income I'll have gotten in the last couple of months and I'm wary about scaring him off by asking for too much.
    Ack. That's the clincher, tbh. If you're desperate and absolutely have to win the client over, you need to do what you need to do to put food on the table. There are no rules to it, tbh, but you can get into problems if freelancing is your only income and you're using up all your work hours and still not making enough cash to get by. This is why undercharging can become a problem for some people in some situations.

I'd question him about any budget he might have and then base my quote on that. Or price it realistically and disclaim you're open to negotiation. In the past, I've also offered to provide a client with multiple quotes, with varying degrees of "options" that'd reduce the cost.

If you have experience and a portfolio that speaks for itself, and it's a well-heard-of name like GG, I'd say you're in a solid position.

Best of luck though, dude.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    Holy shit 300 for a character. You are insane. I wouldn't do a wii type character for that little.

If it involves high poly, game, and textures then man i wouldn't ask for less than 800-1200.

I have done really small things in the past. Tables, rocks, etc that have paid 350-500.

I did an entire 4-legged creature...high poly, low poly, unwrap, texture for $140. I guess I'm a huge douche...lol

My intent isn't to cheapen the craft but I'm always afraid of scaring people off with a price that is too high. There seems to be too many freelancers out there and not enough interest coming in. It also sucks that people in India are doing shit for 83 cents / hour.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Junkie_XL - thats bad man. you would n't scare them off even if you charged 10 times that
    if it helps anyone a good figure for a weeks freelance work in london , is around 1000 pounds per week.
    But expect anything from 150 to 200 pounds a day.
    If you are just starting out, you might knock this down a bit, depends on the client and how good you are.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    which would be around 200-300 € a day, which is pretty much what i get in approximation, sometimes a little more, on very small projects a little less, dependant on the client and project, if you do the work for movies, normally you can charge a little more and you are still cheaper then most movie modellers, i had a job for 400 a day and they instantly said yes, so i guess i could have gone way higher... but seriously 140 for such a amount of work, just calculate with what you'd get per hour, if its way below working in a supermarket for example, you could better go work there and use your creativity for your own projects

comparing yourself to indian people can't be right because you are not in india and if clients want to outsource to india they would do it in first place and not contact you
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    cheers for that info Neox. I suppose though that even though I am failry experienced I am not considered a heavyweight in the cg scene so that 200 per day seemed ok.

I think I will up it a bit in future or they may just see me as the cheap and cheerful type:)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think this is mostly a philosophy thing, i know guys that won't move a finger for less then 400-500€ a day, but then again some of them (not all) a having a lot of time without any work and therefore they need to get more to have money for the times they don't earn anything. I just think the other way around, i'm booked 100% most of the time, that tells my prices are either too low or fair enough for most people, i can live with pretty good, so for me its great when i have my approx. 30-35€ an hour and go higher when either the project allows it or i'm booked out so it would be extra work and less sleep for me.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    So you guys would recommend doing things by the X-alotment-of-time rather than per model? I guess that means the client is less likely to mess about with changes, although on the other hand it'll mean you'll be contantly hasseled to go faster and get things done quickly.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you know how much time you will spend per asset, then calculating per asset + changes is fine, it's not unelikely that i do the first model for a new job on my own and let the client decide whether or not he likes it and is willing to pay me. I worked on it, and if its good enough its worth getting paid for, if he doesn't like it, he won't get the raw data and i'm not going to get paid for it, thankfully that doesn't happen very often to me, and the data always lands directly in my portfolio, thats the other part of the deal, i create a test model, if they like it i get paid, if they don't i can put in in my portfolio without telling what it was for.
    Also sometimes i get offers like "we pay you XXX per asset" then i have to decide whether or not i do it and also tell them "look, my work will cost you X per hour, that makes Y hours work, this means i will have to finish the first iteration in Z time and then some minor changes are fine with me, but no big ones as you are not willing to compensate the effort."
    Normally its simple, the more time a client is willing to pay me the better the asset will be, they know i could do better with a few more hours/days but if they are fine with what i can create in the given time/money amount, thats fine with me too.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    sure i get what you are saying. Been a bit quiet of late for me, though I have been picking up more advertising work.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    jackablade, quite often its the client who decides stuff for you. its hard to be that pushy that you can charge per hour for most game companies and in any case they might have a certain budget for that job.
    I think its best to judge the situation on a per company basis
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox that would translate to roughly $40 US. Sounds like a lot per hour. Anyway this has been an interesting read. This has answered a lot of questions I've always had about how freelancers can actually live. My freelancing is just part-time in the evenings. I was starting to think it wasn't possible to do without a full-time job doing something else. Sounds like $800-1000 isn't out of line at all for a full character. Is this roughly what something like Liquid Development pays out?

Ruz, is it out of line to ask the client what their budget is? The client is either willing or unwilling since they make the decision. They've got a figure in their head to begin with I imagine.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    Wrote this a while back based on industry salary averages.. it's helped me and others a great deal with pricing freelance work... My first rigged characters from a couple of years ago cost the client $500 a pop - single 1024 on 2500 tris mesh with a 'standard' rig (no weapons mount points or anything like that) - animations were rated extra. Different kettle of fish now though ;)
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    for a moment i thought it read getting laid
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Junkie_XL wrote: »
    Neox that would translate to roughly $40 US. Sounds like a lot per hour. Anyway this has been an interesting read. This has answered a lot of questions I've always had about how freelancers can actually live. My freelancing is just part-time in the evenings. I was starting to think it wasn't possible to do without a full-time job doing something else. Sounds like $800-1000 isn't out of line at all for a full character. Is this roughly what something like Liquid Development pays out?

Ruz, is it out of line to ask the client what their budget is? The client is either willing or unwilling since they make the decision. They've got a figure in their head to begin with I imagine.

whatever liquid development pays out, I'm sure it varies on the artist and project. And come on, I'm sure you know no one can discuss that sort of thing.

I was talking to a guy on cgtalk who charged 100 an hour for some arch viz stuff.

EDIT: which is to say, don't underestimate what high quality skilled labor is worth.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »
    I'm sure it varies on the artist and project.

It would just be nice if the process wasn't so secretive and we could actually KNOW more of what the client wants to pay. Throwing out salary requirements is intimidating to me. It's like gambling and hoping your rub off ticket wins. Just state what you are willing to pay after seeing my work dag-nabbit.

I suppose that is what the ethical pricing book is for...which I guess I should check out.

edit: nice write up kat. :thumbup:
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Well if they ask you for rates, you can always respond with "what do you think is reasonable?" Sure they'll lowball you, but it might be higher than you might have asked.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I do contract work, a lot depends on the reputation I have built up. It is nice in theory to say "I will only accept $1,500 for a character" but if you don't have the skills and the rep, good luck with that. I was getting paid very well for my most recent contract work, but only because I had years of proven track record with that client and a reputation for being able to solve art problems.

It is pretty pointless to ask for more than a person can pay. You aren't ruining anything for other freelancers if you are doing jobs they would sneer at.

Another important point is getting paid. Holding off on final assets like Neox suggested is a good idea.

[edit]
    Also, I would point out that if you can offer a lower price because you are a fast worker, or because you live in someplace cheap (like Oklahoma), it is not your fault that you are taking "well paying" jobs that freelancers in California consider "insanely low".

Pro Tip: Save money for tax time.

Another thing that I would like to point out is that there are 2 types of freelancers. Those that started out doing freelance work, and those that already have industry experience before they start freelancing. I started from nothing, doing freelance jobs long before I got my first on site position.
  • ArtsyFartsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just finished my first freelance gig, and i'm not going to say exactly how much it was, but i got less than $30/h and more than $10/h.

Contracts are great for companies because they don't have to pay healthcare or taxes. You'll have to plan these expenses when you calculate your hourly rate.

But you shouldn't charge too little. Working 40 hours a week at $10/h "just for the experience" makes no sense. You're better off working a part time job for $15-$20 an hour, and using your spare time to work on personal projects.

When I was younger i thought the gaming business was the be-all and end-all, and there would be no meaning to my life if I couldn't be part of it. That was a childish infatuation. This is just a business, and you need a job to be able to provide for you and yours. It's a very enjoyable profession and I love every minute of it, but I would drop it quickly if I saw that it couldn't provide me the life style that I want. A lot of variables go into making a satisfying life, and you shouldn't sacrifice everything chasing some job.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL wrote: »
    Sounds like a lot per hour.

Really? I think its pretty average, compared to other artists i know, look - what a lot of people always forget is, that a freelancer has no insurance paid by anyone, no healthcare paid, no retirement savings, no taxes, no nothing, you always have to pay those things on your own, you have to pay your own lawyer, your own tax consultant. What about working machines, software licences, updates? Thats all stuff thats normally paid by the employer, and there is also no guarantee that a freelancer is booked all the time.
    Don't underestimate all the money you have to pay on your own, its A LOT if you want to live in a decent neighbourhood in a decent apartement. And the topic owner is living in california, from what i saw so far, its not a cheap area, i'm living in Berlin, and its pretty cheap compared to other german cities and i couldn't live as i do now in munich for example, or some bigger european cities, london for example is pretty fucking expensive, how would you even be able to pay the rent without having to worry about food with a small amount of money?
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    well said Neox, maybe some see freelancing as a "do a little project on the side" instead of thinking it all through when you really want to live from it long term.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm if thats the case, i'd say rethink it more to something like, beeing the only employee in a very small company, and whats left from all the stuff that goes into the company is your salary :)
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good points Neox. Not being full-time freelance I guess I forget the overhead and personal coverage costs. At the moment I just sort of viewed this as a side thing for me as CrazyButcher says. I wasn't really sure if doing it full-time was possible while still maintaining a comfortable living. I guess you prove it can be done if you live in a low cost area. Luckily I'm not in CA or NYC either. I can't imagine how much ppl need to charge out there.

I do enjoy personal projects a lot more anyways so until I really need the money I'll just continue that unless someone is willing to pay more. I have a plan of attack before I start applying around again in search of work.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    I've always heard that there are three aspects to freelance work: Time, Quality, and Cost. The customer determines two of them and the freelancer determines the third based on those.
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    http://freelanceswitch.com/rates/ <- this is very helpful in figuring out what your hourly rate should be. Either give the client your hourly rate, or use the estimated time per model to calculate the flat rate. Be honest with yourself about how fast you work, and do some tests under non-ideal conditions to figure out how long it takes. Your average time per project will be somewhere in between how much time it takes on a relaxed day with nothing going on and your inspiration running high, and the days where max crashes, your mother in law calls you for an hour to yell at you, the cat peed in the ramen and you have to pick up your drycleaning or else they will throw it out.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Just remember that what you do is a skilled job. Pay yourself a professional rate. Look how much a plumber charges just to come round to the house and make a kind of reverse whistling sound on inspecting the damage. In other words, don't pay yourself a Wal-Mart rate just to get work.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Just remember that what you do is a skilled job. Pay yourself a professional rate. Look how much a plumber charges just to come round to the house and make a kind of reverse whistling sound on inspecting the damage. In other words, don't pay yourself a Wal-Mart rate just to get work.

Seconded. Also, know that people shop on price (which means the opposite fo what you may think). If something is cheap, be it a service or an item, it is thought to be of lower quality than something expensive. If you undercut what you're worth to get work, you may actually get less work.

Also, get EVERYTHING that you are expected to do figured out.

I took a job where I did a rendering of a church for a couple hundred dollars (can't remember how much - not much). I told the contact I was finished and would bring the work I'd done to their office. I brought letter-sized proofs so that they could approve of the work and I could turn over the image. I assumed that this was common practice. In actuality they were expecting me to bring the final printed image. Because we didn't hammer this out ahead of time, and we were on a tight timeframe, I had to jet over to a local print shop and paid for the print out.

It was a small job and I don't think a contract would have been necessary, but I failed to ask enough questions, and lost some money because of it.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Valandar wrote: »
    I've always heard that there are three aspects to freelance work: Time, Quality, and Cost. The customer determines two of them and the freelancer determines the third based on those.

sqhzotwkz1u7d4vzri9dnk2cb8.jpg
  • mestophales
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mestophales polycounter lvl 7
    The fact the client asked you to come up with a fee tells me they have very little experience in outsourcing projects.

$150 - $300 for the first model with x % amount of rework flexibility any rework above that % then charge so much extra.

If he likes the work the definitely $500 a model.

One thing I did not see in the above posts what the escrow amount to be charged - meaning an upfront payment or some guaruntee they won't stiff you, nor did you mention if they were providing concepts from which to work from.

I have done this so many times it is like a habit, always have a work for hire contract that spells out the details, get some payment upfront or have the whole amount placed in escrow this ensures they don't simply walk away.

If you need help with any of that let me know, I will help where I can.
  • o2car
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    o2car polycounter lvl 16
    I got around $1000 for texturing a character for an animated short.

I rather set the price before and then spend as much time I feel for it.