Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Army Gurl

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
Hello all,
hope everyone is well

Thought id document my progress and ask for critique for my model that im working on smile.gif thought i might get better critique if i made my own seperate thread (she was getting stomped by awesomeness in the wyawo thread)
She is going to be an army girl, i needed a female in my new portfolio smile.gif
Will add a knife and a holster aswell. Dont think i will bother with a gun however, does that sound ok?
Not feeling the top,will rescuplt it. Aiming at something around 9-10 k tris (its so exciting,i havent been up from 6k :D )
Enough talk!
armygurlupdate3.jpg
And the head, still working on it. Let me know if you like the hair :)
armygurlhead.jpg
Any and all comments and critiques are extremely welcomed ;)
If you could suggest adding something else....like accessories and shit to make her look cooler,i would be obliged

Replies

• killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    the dog tags look weird splayed open, i thought it was a bow or scarf, and don't they usually hang lower, on a longer chain? the hair is okay, to me, it makes her look as if she's into some drab hobby where she doesn't dress up, like archeology or math, since she's all armied out, i'd guess a gun lover.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    copycat, that's MY 'u' (jk :P)

looking cool dude, somthing about the torso anatomy is bugging me though. Midsection seems to be tapered in a little much or the rib cage is jutting out a little (or both?). And i'm not digging the hairstyle but that might be personal preference/lack of division throwing me off :P

Considered adding a backpack? could add a fair bit to the character, maybe a rifle with a shoulder sling too... oh and change them to larger aviator sunglasses, coz they're cooler :poly142:

anyways, looking good so far man, hope you finish it :)

edit: any chance for a side or 3/4 view of the head (looks cool from this angle)
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    that's not a regulation uniform.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Looking pretty cool so far, man. Sculpting wise, it looks very nice, and the only crits I have are towards some small anatomy things, and design stuff. It's looking really good so far, I think.

A few crits I have for it, take them or leave them. If it was my design, I'd focus more on the "army" aspects of her character. Right now, the design looks a touch too Lara Croft for me, and doesn't say army at all.

The legs seem a bit thick at the thigh level, and the boots a tad large. Those might be what you're going for, I don't know, if it's your style, then that's cool too.

I would re-do the head. I REALLY don't wanna sound like a dick here, but the head reminds me too much of a younger Seth Green, or John Carmack, than any female I've seen. Maybe longer hair would help?

Well, those are my crits so far. Like I said, the sculpting is fantastic so far. As far as my crits, take them leave them, I still think it's good work. Looking forward to updates
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    her hair makes her look really butch. Maybe give longer hair, shoulder length maybe, or a ponytail. Something more feminine, IMO
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    not the best angles for crits, post front perspective and side perspective at least.
    looking pretty cool, but difficult to judge proportions with the current screens dude,

also, shape of the eyes look really off. Find a good front foto of some hot chick and trace it in ZB. but i guess if u gonna have glasses on it wont matter...but u sculpted the eyes so im letting you know...
  • Alec3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks good but there's something odd going on with the shape of the stomach (front side) and the dog tags don't really show any weight (but thats just nitty gritty :P )
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Agree she looks a lil' butch, thought she kinda looked like a young john carmak actualy.

Anyway, some quick warps in shop:
    Narrower jaw
    Narrower nose
    Thiker upper lip
    Little more bangs

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ADMINI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]3721635865_966509f23f.jpg?v=0
  • s0id3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
    bridge of the nose is really odd, it just disappears into the face midway.
  • Stubbs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stubbs polycounter lvl 17
    Looks cool. In my opinion she has a bit of a possible lesbian/Ripley from Aliens vibe (except with bigger hooters).
  • Alec3d
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    i could be the hair that is making here look masculine, but there is something manly about the face, maybe it's the sharpness of the nose and the brow, not really sure. The lack of eyebrow may not be helping it either.
  • Piotr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that manliness comes from too thin upper lip and too sharp eybrow area.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I disagree with most of the crits here, the face has character!

THe brow is a bit too sharp and low though -- female brow will be slightly higher up than a man's, i think that's where a lot of the masculinity is coming from.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello ALL
    Hope everyone is doing well...
    Thank you everyone for your help and support! Mucho gracias
    I worked on her some more. Mostly out of zbrush. I tried incorporating everyones help.
    Jeremys comment really helped me steer her where it ought to be.

UPDATE!! yayy
    frontfull.jpg
    The head. Hope its better guys
    headwip2.jpg
    Angles:
    angles.jpg
    Here she is naked. For picking out errors :)
    nekkid.jpg
    I gave her a weapon. A freaking m72 rocket launcher! hehe
    Apology to the weapon lovers out there,but i really sclaed it up to make it look cooler :)
    bazookadone.jpg
    And a look at her accessories! With wires
    acccesoories.jpg
    KP:
    i bet (well hopefully) youll like the hair when i work on it more and polish it up with swirls falling down and shit.
    I worked on the dog tags.Yeah i guess a longer chain? :P
    Hope you like the update

nizza:
    Haha yeah thats me teasing you ;)
    I saw a whole lot of *ah-hem* anatomy-related images for the torso and i saw alot of females with the ribs jutting out alot,like you could see the depression. Maybe i could lessen the taper on the hips?
    Hopefully youll like it when i sculpt the hair further
    Ah man, nizza, you gave me such an awesome idea. I didnt want to add a back-pack as after jeremy's comment that she looked like a lara croft than marine, so i made these things instead. Hope you like the update. POsted some head pictures for you.

Asherr:
    Standard attire wouldnt have looked as cool as now would it

Jeremy:
    Thanks for the comment and taking the time out
    Your comment on focusing on the "army" aspects really struck my cord. Hope you like it better now!
    I reduced the size of the boots,but not too much ;)
    Longer hair, done ;)

P442:
    Hope you like her now? maybe a little :P

Whipswitch:
    Aye Aye :)

Jhonny:
    Sorry about the lack of angles,hope these are better
    Fixed the eyes, yeah they were screwed up. I actually realised i didnt have any eye pictures until the end XD

Alec:
    Thanks alec :) Hope the dog tags look better now? i even added in a cross for adding personality

Crazyfingers:
    Thanks for the paint over.Appreciate it.
    Worked on everything you pointed out

Soid3:
    Ive actually seen noses like these.I just want to add as much character to
    everything as i can. But i added a crease for you

Stubbs:
    Thanks matey.
    I am SO glad you feel that way.Thats the kind of chic im trying her to look like. Ripley would top the list,definitely. Like shes not ugly,but not beautiful either i guess

whipswitch:
    Hope its better?

Piotr:
    Thanks for checking me out :_)
    I buffed up the upper lip. Hope its better now

Suprore:
    Thanks sup :) im really glad you think that way aswell. I took the brow up and smoothed the bitch out after which i made some eyebrows. Thanks man!

Thanks guys
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAIIIE <3

I added/changed many things particularly as many of you including,including myself, thought she looked like lara croft. Something i REALLY want to stay away from. I want her to look more like ripley from aliens smile.gif
    Hope its better now! I changed the matcap as i wanted the cavities to pop out more....i love the creta matcap though <3
    Hope she is looking more like a professional highly skilled badass marine who'd squish your testicles when needed biggrin.gif
    armygurlupdate4.jpg
    Things added:-
    - Shirt
    - Bermuda shorts
    - Radio
    - Badges/rank/accomplishment badges/stripes

Oh btw, i finally made/unwrapped the low for the launcher.Its at 2100 tris i think. I HATE unwrapping mechanical objects. HATE IT

Thanks for lookin!
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    how can you not love a chick with a bazooka!
  • verybad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    verybad polycounter lvl 17
    Well it might be a surprise...
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Something bugs me about the boots could be camera angle but the toe portion of it looks a little balooned, or like they are timberland or birkenstock hiking boots rather than army issue boots.
    Also might want to finish lacing the boots and tuck those bastards in. ;)

Also of note is that the strap on her left pant leg for her thigh pouches has no constriction on her leg and so is offering no support to the pouches and what they are loaded with. Minor thing but it could add more character and asymmetry to her.

Also for what its worth I think you could go with even closer cropped hair, like a thick buzz cut, or.. well a number of styles depending on just what vibe you're going for.

However you go she's a nice piece already.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay onw more post for the night,
    yes! like the update. her legs are a little beefy, i'd slim em down, but that can work, just a personal preference. and ya i'd use a longer chain on the dtags. hair is fine, i'm sure it will turn out. nice work on all the little gimcracks and stuff, fun fun
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Girl scouts anyone? :P

Looks cool.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    p442:
    hehe :D

Vas:
    Thanks for the comment. Took all your crits into consideration :) hope the toe looks ok now? Your avatar makes me waht to do things to myself XD

kp:
    <3

josh:
    yeah man she seriously looks like a fuking girl scout...and i HATED the fact that she does. thanks :)
    WOrked on a shit load of things....working slowly though :)
    The wrinkles are just a start. No cleaning or finishing yet (except maybe some on those leg ones). Still have to go in and make that leg utility thingy work its stress on the pants as of now....
    UPDATENEW2.jpg
    and a close up of the FAICE
    UPDATENEW.jpg

Thankz guyz n galz
  • Stertman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks nice.. But the boots are a bit to big i think, heavy to run in. and please change the hairstyle?=), the hair really makes here look uncool, like my grandma or something=P Make her look tuff

maybe something more like:
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_NO2UOMMYKZ0/SUd3RZEsnTI/AAAAAAAADOY/oxh1noCWlBk/s320/Short+layered+hairstyle.jpg

now it looks more like this gal here: ^^
    http://media.photobucket.com/image/ugly%20hair/cheripryor/8thgrade.jpg

otherwise i like here. gear and stuff looks cool, hair and maybe the face is what needs some work..

cheers
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya this is looking great. back of the head?
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the hair from before was ok too, but FINE i changed it XD
    kp, better naow?!
    A back view esp. for you <3

Stoo:
    Damn you XD

As hopefully youll be able to see. made a shit load of changes. I lengthened the sleeves and redid them wrinkles there, added that torso utility condor modulator set, changed hair etc among other smaller less noticeable changes.
    2cm0t0.jpg
    WOuld anyone mind retopologising this for me?lawl. Its going to be a long ride XD

LUV YOU ALL
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great indeed. Not a big fan of boots though, too Ronald McDonaldy.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Looking schweet Butt. The only thing I want to suggest is perhaps a different style of sunglasses, in particular some aviators.

aviators1.jpg

Juuuuuuuuuuuuust a suggestion, Have fun re-to-po-ing. :)
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandro:
    Thanks matey! I changed the boots :) was kinda funny when i actually looked at them hard enough later and realized they were BIG ASS :)

Thanks brandon. Hope you dig the update :) I worked on the glasses to make um look more like what you have there.

Update!!
    Finished the high poly! :) Now onto the low rezzzzz
    UPDATEZ3-1.jpg

Also, xconvicts mat :)
    UPDATEZ3b.jpg

By the way,
    i dont think i should be worried about the pockets sticking out like that right? ITll look ok when normal mapped eh?
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    what is this, 'go back and finish projects from a month ago'... month :P

good to see you finishing this dude :)
    I'd say arm folds are looking a leetle messy, some more defined/sharper dominant folds could be cool man but either way.
    And afaik pockets should be set =D

Hope you get onto the bakingz soon... and bring me more low poly :poly142:

good stuff man ^_^
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nizza:
    X-D I really need to finish this bitch off.....portfolioz a callin

I worked on pretty much everything. I removed that torso equipment bag thing aswell.
    Oh and i plan on remaking her head again. Going to give her cornrowzz (ccha'yeah)
    24v1ico.jpg

I think ill be going for a 6 k limit. (lowering the count usually makes me want to work on things more:-))

Comments and critique welcome as always!
    Cheers!
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    Looking good so far!
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    fantastic progress, man!
    i really like the folds on clothing and face
    but on my taste her hands are too tubes like, look
    here to see how can
    female hands to be done in dynamic, more interesting way. its very subtle, because you don't have those bigass muscules and such, but more ellegant.
    and another thing that bothers me, its toes of her boots, they're too big and pretty shapeless.

anyway, you're on da way, i'd love to see more.