Home Technical Talk

Incredible performance hit in 3dsmax 2009 when object selected.

I've tried everything I can think of, so I'm hoping someone else has run into this:
In a scene with anywhere from 50k to 500k tris (spread over many objects, like 200-400), when an object is selected in object mode, my framerate will drop from ~70 to ~2. If I then move into any subobject mode, my framerate jumps back up to a reasonable number. This essentially means I need to always work in subobject mode if I need decent speed (ie. move all the faces of an object, rather than just moving the object itself). This has to be a driver/max issue, but I can't find it.

Anyone have any ideas?

[edit] Updated my drivers again (9600GT) to no avail. Think I figured it out though. If I rotate an object, the viewport will then be slow with any object selected, until I use the move tool on something. Then it's fast again. So this must be a max bug then, not a driver issue. What crap.

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    not sure here, for example in modo objects are cached if you freeze them (or lock them) and you can push more faces through the view port with a a smooth navigation. As soon as you unfreeze them it can slow down stuff.

The same kind of is implemented in max. For example if you freeze or Xref stuff its sometimes optimized and the view port usually moves faster. I think it was release 9 where they improved or worked on that.

So in other words it could be that in max things are not optimized and compressed if they are selected or active.
    Also using as less modifiers as possible (or none) can boost performance very nicely as well as converting objects to meshes in some cases (from my experiences).

If you have huge texturized scenes switching to flat view boosts a lot (sometimes even 3x as fast as regular).