Home General Discussion

Tablets

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
Hi,

I've looked through some of the various "help, what tablet should i go for" threads but i keep getting the feeling i'm not exactly in the same spot as some others..

For way too long now i have been using my mouse for everything, and i'm beginning to feel the drag it takes me to do something simple. (to some extent) So i figured i would take another shot at finding a tablet to use and become comfortable with.

The problem is that i have NEVER had the opportunity to use, or even touch a decent tablet, all i have come across are those shitty bargain basket ones which people get for writing their name in Ms Paint and never using again, so its been hard for me to even adapt to using a tablet.

My question is, just exactly how much worse are, say, the bamboo range from wacom, stepping down from intuos? Consider the possibility that i could buy an amazing tablet yet never adapt to using it, would you go for something like the bamboo to get used to first of all? and would the features be *that* dummed down? (i mean, there are few things i care about besides some good pressure functionality and being able to just draw a line without it constantly snapping like i were drawing on some sort of grid)

As an example of what I've been trying to use, my current knock off handed down to me is A6, has no other functionality other than drawing like a mouse but with a pen. It is a Wacom though.

I am more than willing to spend the price to get a good tablet, i'd just like to know what others think, and whether i should try something simple, but 'up to date' with features.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Bamboo is small and has less pressure levels, IIRC. Intuos starts at 6x8 (what I use mainly) and has 1024 levels of pressure. So basically it boils down to the lower end being less workspace and less pressure control.

If you've never used one before, it might be a good place to start though (Bamboo) or even an older (refurb) Intuos. Some people don't need the LCD backscreen, or a 9x12 workspace - everyone is different. Start small and cheap, go from there.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Whatever you get, don't get anything smaller than a 6x8 imho.

I've never used anything except intuos wacoms so I can't say anything bout the pressure sensitivity.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    get something that's relevant to your screen in terms of size.. I used a 4x5 fine when I had one 19" square screen... now that I have two wide screens it's not an option..

I'd say go for an intuous 4 or a newer bamboo.. force yourself to get used to it dude, I am STUNNED that someone with your quality work doesn't use a tablet. give it 1-2 weeks of consistent use and you WILL be used to it, maybe even to the point where you use it more than you think.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    JFletcher wrote: »
    Consider the possibility that i could buy an amazing tablet yet never adapt to using it, would you go for something like the bamboo to get used to first of all?

No. Just go for a new Intuos 4 and call it done. You will love it and get used to it in no time. Don't waste your money on buying a Bamboo AND an Intuos.

I'm saying this from experience. My wife gave me her old Graphire, used it for a while and really liked it. Decided to buy an Intuos and was blown away. Before my wife gave me her old tablet, I was going to do what you're suggesting and it would have been pointless due to the sensitivity difference and the fact that getting used to the tablet is not that big of a deal.

Just my two cents.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you've got the cash go with the Intuos otherwise get the Bamboo. Used Intuoses are pretty easy to find on ebay that's another option if you want to save some cash.

I bought a big 9x12 Intuos 3 in back 2005 and still consider it to be the best value for the money piece of hardware that I've ever purchased. I'm such a frugal person too :poly136: and yet I still feel good about that purchase.

I totally agree with this:
    8FtSpider wrote: »
    No. Just go for a new Intuos 4 and call it done. You will love it and get used to it in no time. Don't waste your money on buying a Bamboo AND an Intuos.

But if money really is an issue don't worry about the Bamboo not being capable, one of the best 2D artists that I ever worked with did all his work with a tiny 4x5 Graphire.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    I got an Intuos 3 6x8 about five months before the Intuos 4's came out, but I really don't care. It's Wacom, it's quality, and it's a LOT more versatile than I had expected.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I got a great deal on a new, boxed & unopened, 2nd-hand Intuos 2 off Ebay, just before the Intuos 3 was released. You could probably get a good quality Intuos 3 off Ebay for much less than a new Intuos 4, and you probably wouldn't notice the difference. I still use an Intuos2 at home and at work, and see no reason to upgrade yet.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    you worked with your mouse?! .. scary... 0.0

intuos 4 is nice but who needs it? get a cheap intuos 3 or even intuos 2 over ebay like mop said.. they are both great tablets

I won´t choose something smaller though (bamboo & co.)
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Ok thanks guys!

edit:

ok then, I bought http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1005934 figured it was a nice deal. :)
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    If you have the money might as well go for the intous 4, I think the new customizable LED buttons and x2 the pressure sensitivity of intous 3 is well worth the extra dollars, especially knowing the durability of wacom products and how long you'll be using this unit.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    I'm selling my Intuos3 6x11" if anybody is interested. Desperately need some money to pay off these debt collectors and sans my computer and monitor this is the only thing I can sell :[