Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Machimera - original fantasy creature

Hi guys!
Here's my newest offering for community viewing. It's a chimera creature of unicorn-like grace. This time I setup in Unreal3 for the first time on personal work. Also it really comes to life in a scrub/turnaround video, but having a hell of a hard time capturing + cropping + compressing without issue somewhere along the way.

Still some minor tweaks to do, but it feels finally presentable. Hope you like.

MachimeraLayoutWeb01.jpg

MachimeraLayoutWeb02.jpg

As usual, here's the long fake lore around it (feel free to skip) :

The Machimera :

A transient and mysterious creature of the deep woods, forest tribes refer to it as Machimera. 'Ma' is their word for God, the term 'Machimera' suggests a chimera created by god, not borne from science or magic. This also reflects tribe beliefs that refer to this creature as a demigod of the wilds.

People hopelessly lost in the woods are said to find themselves judged by this creature. Tales say it will lead the pure of heart back to their village, and the cruel deeper into perpetual wilderness. It will never approach the lost, simply appearing within eyeshot until they choose to follow it.

Like mother nature, the Machimera is neither friend or foe. It can be a savior or executioner, beautiful or terrible. Whether you should follow it when it appears hinges on what kind of person you consider yourself to be.

Whether this is indeed a sentient demigod or merely a naturally breeding creature remains unknown as no bodies have ever been found. It has always been reported to appear alone, and only to lone persons.

Replies

• divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    the only thing that's "bothering" me is that the the hues on the body are very monotonous. a slight hue change for the hooves or stuff might help, but other than that very inspirational work. lovely, vivid textures but it's not like you ever disappoint in that matter... :D and maybe a few more polies for teh chest so it doesn't get that pinchy. unless that's wanted.

great work.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    very sexy, but also agree with the commens of divi
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fun stuff, would be curious to see some marmoset shots as well just to see how it compares =)
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    gorgeous, agree with the hues thing looks like its being lit red
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys :) useful crits

I think that's the post process i setup in unreal making things red out, I'll see what i can do about that and also throw in some variance in the texture, see what i can get.

As for the chest being pointy, that's by design. I realize that it's a little perplexing, on this piece i wanted to focus on the silhouette above all else, and that's what worked.

Outline.JPG
    Also it makes evolutionary sense, having a plated chest shaped like a boat hull helps it cut through the dense woods. Just happens that in the end it doesn't visually seem to jive well with belly scales. It's a lesson i'll remember in the future.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    On the way to being incredible, i think the mid section, and especially the chest could use some more polys though.

I think the head is by far the best part, any way of getting some blue/grey scales on the upper portions of the legs?
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Agreed on the hues. I also don't quite understand the hoofs. They look quite fragile.

Otherwise it's great work. Really got the feel of a good fantasy creature.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, it's cute too! I really like the pointyness of the beast, makes it look like a fast runner. I also agree a little on the coloration divi mentioned.
  • jmchristopher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmchristopher polycounter lvl 11
    I love it, seriously one of the coolest "characters" I have seen. I would have to agree that the the hooves need to be a different color. I also don't understand the last joint in the legs, is that supposed to be extra fur, it looks a little odd to me. Textures and concept are really sweet.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    i think whats making the body look so monotone are the beautiful colors of the head. its so nice and lavish, and the body stands out plainer. a "reverse" gradient towards the rear and tail might do the trick, maybe fade it towards deeper red/black with some fancy spec.
  • Lulu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I rarely post but I really enjoy your model, it's very whimsical. I disagree about the chest looking too pointy, it reminds me of the way a bird or reptile sternum juts out, which (to my eye), looks natural for the type of creature you are portraying.

The only thing that really bothers me is the front paw/hoove on the ground. It feels like it is pointing in the wrong direction and wouldn't be able to hold weight naturally - unless it is supposed to be some sort of knuckle-walker, in which case I would expect the feet to be far less dainty.

Really great job though, I'm a sucker for interesting fantasy creatures.
  • HntrLuc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    oh awesome!
    really cool design man, nice silhouette!

id also be curious to see how marmoset compares :)
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys
    I also don't quite understand the hoofs. They look quite fragile.
    I also don't understand the last joint in the legs, is that supposed to be extra fur, it looks a little odd to me.
    The only thing that really bothers me is the front paw/hoove on the ground. It feels like it is pointing in the wrong direction and wouldn't be able to hold weight naturally - unless it is supposed to be some sort of knuckle-walker, in which case I would expect the feet to be far less dainty.
    Definitely aware those feet are strange. I wanted it to look alien and almost dysfunctional to add to the delicate feeling to this creature. It was also to give it a certain surreal feeling like those Salvador Dali things.
    http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick/ac/2008/Dali_Temptation_of_St_Anthony.jpg

As for the joint, the protrusions are bone under the skin, they serve to lock the ankle joins from overextending in the wrong direction. This is because everything past the ankle is solid hoof/horn and clearly it doesn't have a lot of muscular strength in that area.

All that being said, I am aware these feet wouldnt really 'work' in reality, which is why i chose to keep it. So if you saw one of these in reality you'd keep looking a it wondering how it can exist. Kind of like a duck billed platypus i guess.
    i think whats making the body look so monotone are the beautiful colors of the head. its so nice and lavish, and the body stands out plainer. a "reverse" gradient towards the rear and tail might do the trick, maybe fade it towards deeper red/black with some fancy spec.
    Sure message received, i'll be playing with gradients today to see what i can get.
    id also be curious to see how marmoset compares
    Though i really like Marmoset for its quick setup, I'll be sticking to U3 now until they iron out the bugs and missing features that were really holding me back too often. There's a lot going on in this shader that marmoset doesn't offer (Falloff with colour map, SSS with colour map and intensity mask, easy light/fog editing, etc). Not to mention the 2-sided and alpha problems when you need it.

The main reason i used Marmoset over U3 was because I didn't want to go through the steep learning curve of lighting/scene setup in U3, and thought SSS was complicated to make in U3. Now that I'm past those humps, I'll be sticking with U3 for a while, I really like it now. Marmoset is still a very cool solid tool for hobbyists and students or folks that hate technical hassles. I'm just spoiled on game engines & want access to all the tasty features I'm used to. :poly142:
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How about now?
    MachimeraLayoutWeb03.JPG
    I might go back 50% to the old post process, after looking at the original again, I feel this one has gone a little too much towards the dark Gears Of War side. What do you guys think.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Very Cool, looks better in the latest screenshot, how about making the fur more whitish/desaturated?

I agree with pushing the constrast in color between the fur and the chest scales. Cause right now, it looks to me like red-orange fur and yellow orange scales blend togheter.

I really like the edgy/stylish poly distribution, id leave it that way. The silouette rocks!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    gah. had a big long writeup, but it got ate.

i'll sum up: looks like you desaturated rather than address the problems with monotony. more colors, not less!

i really dig this critter
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks like you desaturated rather than address the problems with monotony. more colors, not less!
    It has a lot less red in the post process to begin with, but i also gave the texture a desaturated and slightly blue gradient going down the legs. You'll notice if you look from top and down along a leg that it now goes from brown to grayer brown to black/blue. Where the old one was just solid rust the whole way down. I'm not too bothered about the drab look it has, i mean look at a deer, not too flashy. What i tried to address this time was too much red, and too even a look across the body.

Anyone feel free to overpaint with proposals regarding the colours.

As for the blending colour betwen the scales and fur, it's deliberate. I found that making the scales stand apart too much makes it look like less of a harmony between snake and deer (Snake and grayhound is closer to the actual anatomy)

Keep the comments coming.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey artmachine,

Ballin stuff like the character and the story behind it tho if im not mistaken the whole mythos of the creature is the same as the unicorn? also i realy like the colors how you originally had them.. they popped and were fantastic like the creature. the only part of the design i would change would be the feet, the bone spur feet seem a bit too round to me, i feel like this fella would be sliding all over. also on the texture side, i think the hooves should be a more disticlty different color from the fur. o and the spots on the upper back where the scales fade in could be repeated along the whole back i think.

you said you were focusing on shilouette, and you killed it, looks great man esp the sweeping horns. your fur and scales are quite amazing in this piece would love to see flats <cough, cough> :poly142:

-Woog
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ballin stuff like the character and the story behind it tho if im not mistaken the whole mythos of the creature is the same as the unicorn?
    Is it really? I don't really know anything about unicorns and just tried to look it up but all i could find was stuff talking about its purity and alleged powers. From what i see the only similarity is their elusive and shy nature. If i'm not mistaken the uinicorn is all pure and kind hearted like an angel. The Machimera is neutral and more of a wild animal type.

If you know more about the lore let me know and i'll change mine if it really is that close. Were they said to take an active part in punishing the wicked and saving the good?
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Here is a color suggestion to make it more fantasy-ish :

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l175/wizo5454/Untitled-1-1.jpg

FF mog inspired :).
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick 10 min mockup with some prior suggestions, softened some of the hard angles on the body and added a few highlights to the body using the head as reference:

3701814615_82966582f9_o.jpg

Achieved the highlights by sampling from the head and using the "color" blend mode and just sploched it on. Then a second layer and a "color dodge" blend mode and painted just above the other layer if you wanted to add a little of this to your texture art machine.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    hmmm doesnt seem to work now, it all seems some white bloches got splatterd on top of it, i think that it could use a color gradient from the top to the bottom of the legs, from lighter to darker or something :P looks really good man , nice job !
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    http://megaswf.com/view/fb285ad42136a4818fedd921628b17e5.html

just some white edges to the fur and some green. looks kinda moldy... no clue what i thought :D
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for taking the time to make overpaints. Somehow i feel these changes are too radical since this is supposed to be a brown furred creature. For example look at a brown horse http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1147/994464666_4472bf75da.jpg It has almost no variation going on by comparisson. I'm feeling it did need an extra touch from the original shots and it might be ok now even if brown is boring.

The white version does look pretty rad though and i could definitely see it as another variation of the creature if this was in an rpg style game. I might make a white version sometime if i get bored.

crazyfingers thanks for rounding out the shapes which i just noticed. It actually convinces me that the sharp angles were a good choice, the round version loses so much of the edge and distinct stylishness if you ask me.

I think I'll sleep on everything tonight and call it done tomorrow if it still feels ok as it is.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We spend so much time fighting hard angles it's interesting seeing someone embrace them with so many tris going elsewhere in the model.

It does look great and you can see the care taken in posing the animal in regards to the hard edges, but again as a "polycounter" it's painful to see texture distortion and hard edges, intentional as they are.

Regardless, a very unique and artful piece!
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Art-Machine Yeah i like your paint over the most very striking design indeed! I may personally not be a fan of the feet, but i can't deny that they do a great job in helping differentiate this from other creatures and make it its own.
  • Laughing_Bun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 17
    I just wanted to comment and say that I really liked the original version. I thought the colors were beautiful
  • rawrsie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah base colours were great and the silhouette too but it lacks the lack of colour variation and doesn't give it any focal points, maybe a different coloured belly or on the underside of the neck
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thought I'd drop the 'beauty shot' on you guys. I had a fresh look at it today and although it could be a lot more funky and interesting, I'm happy with the natural look it has now and am glad with the initial revision. I am interested in doing a white variation though, and might get working on that sometime.

MachimeraFinal01.JPG

This also is a little hint to the look of my new folio site that I'm working on finishing today and should be up by tomorrow.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    at the risk of looking like a douchebag with all these suggestions, i really think a spec for the leaves might help. The enviro looks a little too flat considering the 3d nature of the animal.

Even just a HINT more 3d on the leaves would help a lot, i'm thinking the light affecting the leaves could be placed directly on the animal's head to keep or even enhance the focus. Obviously the light would effect only the leaves.

Looks amazing, if this suggestion doesn't go over i'll just shut up ;)
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made the trees black and a heavy fog to not distract from the creature. It's more of an impression of the environment just to give you the idea and a feeling around this creature more than a flat colour would. Think of it as a 'shadow-environment' or something. I'm actually thinking of presenting all my future characters this way, in a heavy fog with untextured environment hints. The fog prevents props from breaking the silhouette while untextured shapes don't compete for focus. Kind of like the white foliage in Mirror's Edge. It looks really weird and makes no logical sense but somehow it works artistically.

I don't mind the idea/suggestions at all, I just like to go about thing in interesting ways that may be weird at first glance. I always consider things you guys say and adopt them when they match with the intended end.
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hes been set as my background since yesterday and I love waking up ad seeing him! great job!

your current background would make a cool rpg char selection screen.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    really like the background, stylish and simple and as you say doesnt distract just compliments, now just to extract my tongue from your...
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    I like the flat environment too and disagree entirely with making them look more 3D.

I think that the fog is a little to obvious of were it ends. Might be worth to go into photoshop and touch that up so that the fall off works better.

Really good presentation.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    He looks much better in an environment. The blue lighting and fog really help with the color problems most were having.

I agree that the fog ends abruptly. It looks like it should be obscuring his hooves, at the very least
  • HntrLuc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    awesome work man! really like this, the environment is great too. recently ive been thinking about doing something similar to help present my work. less time consuming and doesnt overpower the character, but still really kicks up the presentation
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Beautiful stuff, I've been meaning to make time to say so for a while.

I always like that your fantasy stuff has an oily opulence to it, it probably reminds more people of Frazetta and Boris than can put a name to the origin of that familiarity.

It works well for you though, theres always a rich sense of mythology that comes through, I expect the prose helps the visuals as much as the reverse ? I've found this to be true for my own work.

Theres also something about the beauty shot and the creature itself I guess that reminds me of a horror comic I read when I was about 7 or 8 maybe, it had a story about some sort of evil or posessed horses that killed people in some remote land.

I'm rambling at this point... HEY! did I mention I like it!?
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    that's really nice, fresh design! Actually prefer the more oversaturated initial version (just to muddy the waters further... :D )
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks all.
    that's really nice, fresh design! Actually prefer the more oversaturated initial version (just to muddy the waters further... :D )
    Haha you bastard. Yeah part of the reason i stopped doing requested tweaks is that a lot of them were starting to be opposite so I decided to stick with what was there.
    I always like that your fantasy stuff has an oily opulence to it, it probably reminds more people of Frazetta and Boris than can put a name to the origin of that familiarity.

It works well for you though, theres always a rich sense of mythology that comes through, I expect the prose helps the visuals as much as the reverse ? I've found this to be true for my own work.
    Wow thanks Kevin, you always make comments that stand out, being compared to those guys is awesome. Though taking a fresh look at their work, I can see that you liken it in feeling more than "omgwtf" technical awesomeness. And oily opulence, wow I'm still trying to wrap my mind around that describer :P

And if prose isn't a typo and you mean the back-story, yeah absolutely the visual and story feed off each other and both evolve as the piece develops. Initially all i had was the image of the horned snake headed deer, and that striking silhouette. The more i worked on it, the more its personality and mythology developed in my mind until the final product emerged. That's one neat thing about spending days working on something, you have time to 'get to know it' more and more as it grows.

Also zombie horses, awesome.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah that was no typo heh ( for once!)

I went and reread a bit once I spotted the saturation concerns..... stick to what makes you happy, I think your first instincts were stronger, rich saturation still has a big role in game art, lower saturation work is in vogue right now but that doesn't mean we all need to bend to that.
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i ended up settling between the 2 versions saturation wise in the final shots that will go in my folio. But i was happy people pointed out the overly even fur tone, I'm happy with the darker legs and desaturated gradient that came out of it.
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beartraps polycounter lvl 8
    This is very cool, reminds me of a cobra mixed with a deer. I'm also feeling the background and i dont think u should do anything to it to make it look 3d. The creature is where u want the focus to be, not the background. I would say tone down the black if anything.

Nice work!
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    really nice job man. The texture/material properties of the head look perfect to me!
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    I really like the way the background works with the creature. The trees are clearly 3D, but have a strong 2D effect that puts all the emphasis on the creature. They seem to go a bit too dark though; it might work better if the darkest darks of the background were more around 20-30% instead of pure black.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    I think the fog gives the trees too much depth... if the depth was created by just changing the solid color of the trees ass they fell back, i would agree with the "...The trees are clearly 3D, but have a strong 2D effect that puts all the emphasis on the creature. " As it is, the trees actually distract me a bit...

But not so much that I think any less of the badassness that is this creature.
  • Arzach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing stuff. I dig the creature design and color scheme.
  • nellement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nellement polycounter lvl 13
    Really sweet,clean and unique design I love it,will watch this one.