Home General Discussion

Who's excited that Alice in Chains has a new album coming out?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
I am.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n08W4G76PmQ[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSIkYHq6N-c[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks0pbT2Q0VM&feature=related[/ame]

William Duvall sounds enough like Layne while still adding his own touch to the vocals. Good choice. Its terrible that Layne had to pass away, but I think enough time has passed for them to be able to carry on. Still sounds like AIC to me.

Replies

• Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are!

I used to be into them, but I've lost interest in them more than I have in other bands I was listening to at the time. In a way, overexposure is to blame, I'm sure.
    That, and just not being that angsty anymore.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I lost interest in a lot of bands from that era too, and while I was never really into the grunge scene much, I think Alice is one of the few that holds up today. It'll be interesting to see what kind of response they get. The initial tour is some smaller venues, I don't know if that's by choice or necessity.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    I used to LOVE Alice In Chains but this reincarnation of them really doesn't capture what was really the essence of why I liked them so much - Layne.

Their last studio album was so good because it was so real. When the songs talked of drug addiction and the depravity and battle around it - you knew it was real. The same way as Layne's demenour and appearance on the unplugged performance gave so much more to the songs as you could, unfortuanately, see he was a man near the bottom.

The new song does sound alright and I'll definately give the album a listen but more for old times sake than anything else I reckon. I hope I am proved wrong though and the new album blows everyone away.

Now... if only Truly would reform - now THERE's a good "grunge" band!
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    MightyPea wrote: »
    You are!

I used to be into them, but I've lost interest in them more than I have in other bands I was listening to at the time. In a way, overexposure is to blame, I'm sure.
    That, and just not being that angsty anymore.

lol same here :P

Yeah Alice in Chains was all about Layne imo... Jerry and the other guys are talented as hell but they could just start a new band instead of dwelling in the past.
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since when on earth did they reincarnate this band and put lenny kravits as lead vocals...>_>

Sorry, but Alice ended it's true journey when Lane Staley passed on in 2002.
    But the music is still fun to listen to as I have all their albums :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Defiantly overexposed, but I still like the old stuff. The new stuff is pretty good too. It's weird hearing new vocals with old songs, from the same band years later. Not really a bad weird, just different.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    I'm DEFINITELY looking forward to it. I saw them a little while back with VR, with their new line up and thought it was great. Not as great as the original, but I can't really be choosy. I'm really hoping that FNM comes around here...
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I would be more excited if it went like this:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_cZ60v9YdM[/ame]

Sorry, but Alice ended its true journey in 1996, perhaps even 1993, when Layne Staley was too busy shooting up instead of fronting a successful band that should have been touring.

I can't give much respect to people such as Layne, and Kurt Cobain. They didn't enjoy the music.

That said, I don't think anyone can replace Staley's sound. It was gloomy and nihilistic, and layered perfectly with Jerry Cantrell's unique riffing abilities. Jerry's talent, I believe, was just as much a contribution to the bands success. Alice in Chains was far too heavy and unique a sound to be so easily placed in the categories of Grunge and Alternative. It had just enough heavy metal influence to help it age well. Despite the new singer seeming a bit soft for the style, I would like to see an Alice in Chains with a front man who actually has the balls to tour, and share the music.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    I had forgotten how good AiC were =)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_qRTMKDqXA[/ame]

This video is so cool as were most of their videos:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTIAaJcc0I0[/ame]
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav wrote: »
    I'm really hoping that FNM comes around here...

^ definitely.

As talented as Layne was, Jerry was a big part of the vocals as well. A lot of what people think was just Layne was almost always Jerry and Layne together. That said, I think the AIC sound will still be there.

You guys think they should've changed the name?
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    i do like teh alice and chains. didn't know they had a new album, sweet.
  • anoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That new track sounds totally kick f#cking ass. Finally. Something good to listen to. The musical landscape of today is a barren wasteland.

Not so sure about the new singer just yet. He sounds good, but naturally he's no Layne. I am optimistic but will reserve judgement. I kind of wonder if Cantrell should have just taken over all vocal duties and maybe peppered the disc with guest vocalists.

Speaking of Cantrell. some of those Degradation Trip tracks from a few years are great. Very AIC.

Thanks for the tip.
  • anoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BTW, if you go to www.Aliceinchains.com you can DL the track.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anoon: well, mostly the current musical landscape is just devoid of 90's music. Makes sense too, don't you think?
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Comes out tomorrow for those interested. Picking up my physical copy tomorrow, but have had a chance to listen to the whole thing a few times and it's an amazing rock album from start to finish.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    ElysiumGX wrote: »
    Sorry, but Alice ended its true journey in 1996, perhaps even 1993, when Layne Staley was too busy shooting up instead of fronting a successful band that should have been touring.

I can't give much respect to people such as Layne, and Kurt Cobain. They didn't enjoy the music.

Amen to that.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Can't wait. Really hope I get to see them live again.
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    Bought it today in UK, would have it in my CD player now if I hadn't rushed out of work and left it on my desk. :(

Tomorrow night it's on loop. :D

I first started guitar playing Alice in Chains, still bang out nutshell every once in a while, and the Unplugged in NY has to be one of my favourite albums of all time.
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Hoping the best! but god, I will surely miss Layne. One of the best frontman ever...
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, I'm kinda excited. Just started listening to the old Alice albums on spotify then noticed they had a new album on its way. I'd forgotten how good a singer Layne was.
  • Mike_Carlyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike_Carlyle polycounter lvl 17
    gotta go ahead and give them the chance i suppose...

new track is interesting.. gonna give the rest of the new album a spin for sure...
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    Who's excited that Alice in Chains has a new album coming out? - 07-01-2009, 07:03 AM

Jerry Cantrell is...

Felt sorry for the guy. Back in '98, I watched him get booed off the stage when opening for Metallica's Reload tour. I can imagine our venue wasn't the first. :)
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MALicivs polycounter lvl 15
    the new vocals dude is actually quite good. this album could be interesting.
  • ElysiumGX
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Always been a fan of AiC, the new singer carries Layne's vocal style pretty well I think. The new songs pretty good. Will keep my ears peeled.
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    Damn I am PUMPED for this new album. Growing up in Seattle I listened to a lot of Alice in Chains...it was a staple of my adolescence and early 20's. When Layne passed away I was pretty bummed, however the band isn't just one guy. Duvall while a little different than Layne harmonizes well and honestly the new tracks just kick ass.
    This song is probably my favorite so far.
    can't wait!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL7LQj4r9Po[/ame]
    B
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I'm actually liking this new singer.

I mean I sure as hell miss Layne's voice, but I freaking missed Cantrell as well.

[quote='[MILES] Felt sorry for the guy. Back in '98, I watched him get booed off the stage when opening for Metallica's Reload tour. I can imagine our venue wasn't the first. :)[/quote]

Definitely wasn't boo'd in Vancouver we freakin LOVED him (Mind you, Van is only 2hours away from Seattle).

That was an awesome show.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] wrote: »
    Felt sorry for the guy. Back in '98, I watched him get booed off the stage when opening for Metallica's Reload tour. I can imagine our venue wasn't the first. :)

Saw the Reload tour here in Houston and Jerry certainly wasn't booed off stage. He got a GREAT response from the crowd.
  • Marnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marnik polycounter lvl 8
    hardcore AIC fan since 1995 (born in 1990 <_<)

I've been following the production of this album since last october on their blog and am going to pick up the cd tomorrow =D

Can't stand the song "Check my brain", but I'm absolutely addicted to "A Looking in View"

I'm a fan of DuVall's vocals, slightly reminiscent of layne, but can't quite compare...

I'm so excited for this ^_^
  • SubPablo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SubPablo polycounter lvl 17
    Oh shit, thx for the tip. AiC and Jerry Cantrell are old favorites of mine.
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    Sounds awesome so far, listened as fas as Acid Bubble.

With Cantrell doing harmonies it really doesn't sound that different to the AIC of old.
  • Mike_Carlyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Picked up the album yesterday... and im with johnnysix...

i really am loving it so far...

and i was at that tour as well... JC had a great reaction from our crowd..
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    Saw it up in Dallas. He flipped off the crowed, yelled the F word, and stormed off the stage. Lol
  • Mike_Carlyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well thats a shame... stupid crowd... i love ol' boy's work...
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    Well, I've got to say I'm pretty impressed with the album as whole. It's certainly better than the 3rd album which I can hardly remember (apart form "Heaven beside you").

It really does sound like the Alice in Chains of old.