Home General Discussion

solar powered supercar

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
the koenigsegg quant:

koenigsegg_quant-topshot.jpg
http://www.finesttech.com/cars/concept-of-koenigsegg-quant-solar-electric-super-car-for-four.html

powered by a transparent thin film of photovoltaic(solar) cells.

think of the possibilities! you could coat laptops with this thing, DSes, everything!
lamps!

Replies

• Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    As awesome as it is, I don't think the font they used on the base was the best choice. I misread it as something much more offensive.

Looking forward to seeing how this pans out.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    interesting idea what happens when someone scratches the car or puts a ding it it ?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    rolfness wrote: »
    interesting idea what happens when someone scratches the car or puts a ding it it ?

they go into the book of grudges

pretty slick looking little car. and yeah, the text looks like it's the GUUNT. not as sexy sounding.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    I wonder if this car would work during the winter for countries like Sweden and the UK?... It looks nice, but I think a lot of these great looking eco friendly things never get past the prototype phase.
  • MartinKDahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinKDahl polycounter lvl 17
    t4paN wrote: »
    I wonder if this car would work during the winter for countries like Sweden and the UK?... It looks nice, but I think a lot of these great looking eco friendly things never get past the prototype phase.

Well its made in Sweden so i'd guess they'd test it there before shipping it...
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    The problem with Sweden is, at winter, we have direct sunlight between like... 8am and 2pm. If it's clear. And you can't park the car outside during the day to charge either, since it'll end up with a massive blanket of snow all over it before too long. Maybe it'll be good to add just a little touch of green to the whole transportation thing, recharging just a little bit while driving, but it'd never work as a replacement for anything, or even as a hybrid drive. Maybe a hybrid between regular power, solar power and gas...
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    are solar panels powered by direct actual "light" hitting them or can they still recieve power by absorbing the radiation that penetrates through clouds... kindof like how you can still get a really bad sun burn even if it's cloudy outside?
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    modern solar cells can actually work through cloud cover. you don't get the same power as with direct sunlight, but its better than nothing.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The forward-looking moves in the storage and generation of electric power, added on to the futuristic, aerodynamic Koenigsegg engineering and design will actually help gear up the NLV Quant to get the FAES charged up to full capacity in about 20 minutes while providing the vehicle with a fantastic 500 kilometers range. Also the extra power input from the thin-flm, invisible, photovoltaic coating which covers the entire car’s body will help increase the potential range too.
    Technically it sounds like its a typical electric car that still requires charging and the special coating is a bit more of a gimmick that might extend the range to 500 kilometers but it's not going to recharge or even make up for the power drain. But I do wonder if you ran out of charge, if you let it sit would it slowly build back up?
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    Looks like a James Bond car.
    And I totally miss-read the name too.
  • Heaven Net
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What you see isn't always all you get with Swedish supercar innovator, Koenigsegg.
    Take its latest concept, the Quant (pictured). Based solely on outward appearances, you probably wouldn't expect it to seat four adults in comfort - it does. But that's only part of the story. Its show-stopper is a solar-powered paint-job that tops up the power to its twin electric motors.
    A photovoltaic film covers the entire car, helping create solar energy to supplement the power supplied by the plug-in electric connection, which can fully charge the Quant in about 20minutes. Regenerative braking further tops up the batteries, creating a driving range of about 500 kilometres.
    It all adds up to prodigious performance - 382kW of power and a torque mountain of 715Nm - with zero emissions and, if you live in a country with a clean electricity supply (unlike Australia's coal-fired power), the potential for zero fossil fuel usage.
    The company, founded by Christian von Koenigsegg, occupies a lofty position in the supercar hierarchy, with its successive CCR, CCX and CCXR models setting new benchmarks in performance. The CCR once held the world record for top speed for a road car and the CCX took Top Gear's prestigious lap record while its current flagship, the CCXR, pumps out a stonking 760kW on environmentally friendly E85 (85 per cent ethanol) fuel.
    Like all its predecessors, the Quant is geared towards performance, covering a 0-100km/h sprint in 5.2 seconds and boasting a top speed of