Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Steampunk Vehicle WIP

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
jacob07777 polycounter lvl 14
This is for a Steam Punk assignment in my Game Assets class. I found this pretty sweet lookin vehicle and chose to model it while making a few of my own alterations to it. Original design can be found here http://www.crabfu.com/steamtoys/diy_steampunk/

Finished! Finally lol, it's as done as I'm going to get it for now, hope you guys like it.

Steampunk_Vehicle_by_jacob07777.jpg
Final_2.jpg
____________________________________________________________________________________________

--ORIGINAL WIP Images--
_BELOW_

____________________________________________________________________________________________

LowPoly Wireframe
Low_Wireframe_01.jpg

High Poly
HighPoly_01.jpg

LowPoly + Normal Map
Low_Bake_01.jpg

Replies

• Luke_Starkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke_Starkie polycounter lvl 8
    Looks pretty sick so far man, Great work :) !
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    that's hot.. crap I have to wipe the drool of my keyboard.... LOL
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InProgress polycounter lvl 14
    Looks great! One nitpick I have is that you could optimise the low poly some more by recapping the ends of the barrel so there are only quads there.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Call me dumb, but err... how exactly do you steer that thing, with its front wheel locked in place?
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm gonna guess its like a tank?
    the two levers control the amount of steam pumped to each wheel, which changes the rotational speed of that specific wheel, causing it to turn / go straight?

either way

looks sick! can't wait to see it completed
    my only concern is that the whistle might get in the way , and that the whistle doesn't look connected to any piping to bring steam to it
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    I'm really digging the overall shape, but I think you could make the seat more elegant. It looks very stiff at the moment, especially the head rest. Maybe try something that echoes the sweep of the frame. Victorian chairs should offer some good reference points.

Looks very cool in general though.

Cheers, Nick.
  • Bobbeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bobbeh polycounter lvl 10
    Looks pretty solid, the hoses in the back could probably stand to lose a few segments. Texture it nao!

Also this is a concept of crabfu's no?

http://www.crabfu.com/steamtoys/diy_steampunk/

might be nice to mention that.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    i think i see an error on the high poly barrel in between the vents, that little slice seems out of place. I may be wrong...

Looks great! can't wait to see it textured.
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for all the feedback guys and I've already taken everyones advice in my final version that I'm still working on. I did a bit more optimizing to the model, made a few tweaks to the bump map and I'm about to start texturing it, so thanks again and I'll post soon with an update.

Also I edited my original post giving credit to crabfu's for his original design
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    The area were the feet are planted are pretty close to the wheel eh :S

Anything besides fear that are keeping those feet up and not into the wheel?

Nice bike though! Interesting concept.
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just got one question were are the person's feet gonna rest i see no pad for them to rest... love the concept.../agree with whats_true...
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya have to agree.. doesnt appear to be adequate area to put ones feet. Otherwise this looks awesome, nice work.
  • CSB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CSB
    This is great man.
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I'll see if I'm not too far into texturing that I could move the object and UV's around a little to try to fit in some more foot room.
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    you can bake your texture between UV sets (or models) if you want to edit your model/UV a little without having to retexture everything.
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a quick update on my texturing, I'm still no where near done but I figured I'd show you guys where I'm at. No spec yet and only about 30% done with the textures. Hope you like it

Low_Bake_02.jpg
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    pretty good start. I'll wait til you're done to comment
  • Helixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helixx polygon
    Looking good so far with the textures. The only thing that sticks out like a sore thumb to me now is that large barrel. Considering the polycount you're lookin' at I'd just add a few more sides to that cylinder to round it out a little bit more.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    This is rad, so far. Curious to see it finished.
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    Nice bud. Looking good thus far. I like the idea behind it. It's a cool looking piece of machinery. Any plans for some smoke or steam coming from it?

I agree with Helixx on upping the number of sides for the barrel if possible. If not it's all good.

Can't wait to see it finished. Keep up the good work man.
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's done and I took a lot of the crits into consideration in the final product. I pasted the images into the original topic post so check it out up top to see it. Hope you all like it ^_^
  • cycloverid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cycloverid polycounter lvl 15
    Hey, not a bad final product.

I've had tons of problems with getting materials to look right in the past, but I'm seeing the same problems with this.

--First, I'd add more wear to the actual rig itself. The metal especially couldn't possibly be that clean. Even if you're done with this asset, just study corrosion and wear on metal. It'll really make a difference.

--And, of course, the spec itself needs to reflect all that wear. I'm even having a hard time seeing any spec at all on this.

Keep it up!
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    LOL @ tri count on barrell
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Looking pretty good Jacob, few things though.

First your metal looks like cement, very flat, and seems to have the same specular lvl as everything else.

Second, your rubber tier looks like its made out of wood

Third, your gold looks like its just some yellow color, needs more from the spec to help it pop, use a colored spec to give it that gold pop.

Forth, your gold accents along the wood are getting lost, they look cool but I could barley tell they were there, they should pop out and not have the same spec as the wood which is too shinny and is looking like its been highly polished.

Fifth, the 3 vent things on the barrel are not working as is. They look like very flat diffrent colored textures place on there. Nothing is grounding it to that metal. Also if that barrel is full of steam im sure some would come out of those vents and leave stains on the outside of the metal.

Sixth, I think the barrels count could be dropped a lot, the staps could be done with alphas and even the indenet in the center dosnt creat enough of a change in shilouhet where I think you could just have it normaled.

Last, you need to show a little more wear, lots of things look to flat and just like place holder colors.

You have some nice elements you just need to push it a bit more
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon wrote: »
    Looking pretty good Jacob, few things though.
    Second, your rubber tier looks like its made out of wood

Lol that's cuz it is ;)
    So I got that one right, but yeah I was crunched for time on the texturing for this since I spent so much time on the model. If I ever decide to use it for my portfolio I will definitely have to rework a lot of stuff. The spec was kinda last minute too so you basically spotted all the stuff I had to kind of throw in there. Thanks for the crits
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    natetheartist polycounter lvl 9
    sweet job bro.

But then, you knew that ;)

Hey one thing though, the axle on the front wheel looks like it isn't centered. easy fix if you feel like it.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Its looking kinda bland at the moment. What do your maps look like?

And, are you rendering with Catmull-Rom in that final screen shot?
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Nate, you gotta finish yours man, or at least find that one you gave to emer, seriously I gotta see this thing textured lol

Whats True: That is a good catch, I didnt even realize that till now, how can you tell from the render? Also I wont be home for about a week, but when i get home I'll post up the Texture for you
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    natetheartist polycounter lvl 9
    Lets see some shots in-engine! Maybe our vehicles can meet up, hang out, do lunch...see where things go. lol
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol alright, but I want my vehicle home by 11:00, no funny business now you hear. I've heard what your time machine likes to do with all them knobs n such haha. I'll get some shots in game when I get back from AZ, won't be back till Tuesday
  • culturedbum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    culturedbum polycounter lvl 17