Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Doom 3 Style Crate

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
[HP] polycounter lvl 13
I made this prop mainly to practice texturing without using any kind of photos.

Modeled the high poly in max, baked in xnormal. Low poly has a very low poly count, 106 tris. I could obviously made it a little bit more detailed, but I did it this way so the texturing part would be more challenging at giving depth to a very flat model.

crate_render.jpg

texture_sheets.jpg

I'm always looking to improve and evolve, so please drop me some feedback and crits, don't hold back! ;)

Cheers.

Replies

• System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Hi [HP] Like the prop, have some crits that may help -;

1. In the first render at the closest region there is a rectangular block with an inset protruding outwards, according to the rest of the textures this seems very plain, almost untextured. Change this area to a colour that would provide constrast to break the textures up, maybe orange? It could be self illuminated with a glowing text readout to indicate the level of capacity.
    2. The overlay you have used with the base texture seems too uniform, I would expect to see one/two of these objects per room, even if there are more lighting will help hide these details from looking repetetive so I suggest making some stains/dirt around the opening edges and deep crevices for added realism.
    3. A displacement map for the side carrying handles would help with depth.
  • TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Model and textures look pretty nice.
    Seems like this crate is a good candidate for having a symmetrical texture, if you want to go down that route.
    With your spec map, the triangle logo is orange, meaning when lights hit it, it will look sort of metallic, which is ok if that's what you want. But if its not you should change that to gray.

Ummm GCMP ..
    Parallax mapping would be a waste on a prop like this.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    looks good. Normals turned out decent

The edging on the diffuse (particularly the buckles) seem kind of heavy handed. I'd try thinning that out, or spreading it more thinly?

No Spec?
  • Ro-Sham-Bo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Corners on the crate are the cleanest in regard to their damage, maybe adding just a little bit of damage to the corners to help match the wear of the rest of the crate could help from making it look so painted. I do like where this is going and i think you have a nice model on your hands. Keep up the good work.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    TheSplash wrote: »
    Ummm GCMP ..
    Parallax mapping would be a waste on a prop like this.

That was MY opinion, that is YOUR opinion!
    Maybe this object will be a centrepiece on a table? Open your mind to possibility!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    GCMP wrote: »
    That was MY opinion, that is YOUR opinion!
    Maybe this object will be a centrepiece on a table? Open your mind to possibility!

In that case he should cut in more polygonal detail.

A parralax map makes sense, i guess, if you're tiling a lot of details that are going to be close the viewer -- worn bricks, maybe. If it's something you could solve with 20 polies why waste a whole new map?

Plus i dont think the engine he's chosen to show it in even supports that, so it's further ridiculous.

anyway! Cool crate, man. Why didnt you choose to mirror your textures?I think those dark grey plates on the front/back are the only weak part i really see, the uniform wear around them looks like a drop shadow and it took a while for me to sort out what's actually going on.
  • cptincognito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vanilla Doom3 has not parallax mapping, there's been a couple mods that replace interaction.vfp to implement a parallax/relief mapping so its not entirely outside the realm of possibility. ETQW has similar polygon counts/aesthetic, and does support parallax maps.

'nilla D3 does have an option for adding in a greyscale heightmap that gets mixed into the normalmap at runtime.

I think the normalmap turned out pretty good- I'll second what's been said about the diffuse- it's a little boring. If you want to spice it up a little:

doom3 takes place on mars- how about adding in a layer of red dust to the Y facing polys.

doom3 is dark as hell- adding in a glowmap with little LED displays like has been mentioned before- you could even have these partially obscured by the dust to give them a little more depth than usual.

accentuate the raised areas on the corners with lower spec/scratches and gouges. They look like they could be rubberized for no-skid space travel, so they'd be duller and more prone to deep gouging.

stickers- might be redundant if you add led's, but having a few things like 'no zero g' 'do not freeze' 'do not teleport' would help put it in the story.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good, although you seem to have a lot of wasted UV space on the texture that's full of nothing.
    I'd also probably have bevelled those "corner pads" a bit more to really get the full effect of the normal-map, right now those corner pads feel quite thin, it seems like it'd be much better if they felt chunky.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    SupRore - Even though this is a "Doom 3 Style Crate" it was rendered with Marmoset which does support parallax/displacement.
    My comment was concerning the side handles, they look a bit flat imo so pushing them out a bit would add a bit more depth, doesn't seem ridiculous to me, personally I would go the full nine yards.
  • cptincognito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you look at the localmaps that came with doom3, they pack a silly amount of data into the texturespace- this model is 422 tris, with a 512x256 texture (it's squished into 0-1 in the uv view here)

cpuDesk1.jpg
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Hey guys, thank you very much, great feedback here, I really appreciate it!

Maybe a displacement map would be justified, or maybe not depending on your goal for texture memory.
    Now that I'm finished with this prop I'm looking back at the workflow I used and a couple more tris would be justified, even if it's just a crate.
    After all, nowadays consoles / PC can handle shitloads of tris on screen, but texture memory is always a big problem, so more edge loops and poligon details would be justified.
    And yeah, parallax is almost always used on tillable textures, like terrain textures.

cptincognito, yeah man, most of the detail of Doom3 goes into the normal maps! It's amazing id made all that using such "embrionary" technology back in 2001 ~ 2004, those guys were way ahead of It's time.
    Doom3 marked a generation, id is always one step forward everybody!

Oh btw, here's the LP + HighP
    2i8g3dh.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    why the extra loop around the top, it shouldnt need it to catch the normals perfectly, get rid of that and use the polys to extrude a couple of the boxy details or make it openable
  • cptincognito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doom3 unsmoothed tangents

Well, it's possibly justified- doom3 uses mainly LWO's for its static meshes, and possibly because they don't have smoothing groups or maybe for additional reasons, models often have extra cuts like that, and unwelded verts to preserve hard edges. For this particular model, doesn't look necessary
  • [Deleted User]
    GCMP wrote: »
    SupRore - Even though this is a "Doom 3 Style Crate" it was rendered with Marmoset which does support parallax/displacement.
    My comment was concerning the side handles, they look a bit flat imo so pushing them out a bit would add a bit more depth, doesn't seem ridiculous to me, personally I would go the full nine yards.
    So you'd use an entire parallax map to give some depth to like 5% of the texture of a box? Just modeling them would be far more efficient