Home General Discussion

Home Project

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
greuh polycounter lvl 15
hardly anything to do with 3d, but there are some superb scenery and quite exceptional aerial photography:

http://www.youtube.com/homeproject

if you dont have 1h33 to commit, get an introduction to it there: http://www.ted.com/speakers/yann_arthus_bertrand.html

note: it is released freely available worldwide without any copyrights.

enjoy :)

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Watching, thanks for sharing.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    I'm only part way in, but I think i see where this is going.

Yes, it's totally gorgeous (thanks for sharing), BUT:

I'm sick an tired of hearing this humanity guilt from the post modern movement. Quite frankly, it's fucking simplistic. I am a part of the universe. the concept that humanity is somehow separate from nature is idiotic. nature includes everything. even myself. If humanity is destroying the world, it's because nature is a self destructive process.

NOW. obviously we should, as a species, change how we're acting, but that is going to come most strongly when we recognize our UNION with everything, not with this guilt trip that somehow we're separate from "nature" -- some external element that has given us alllll this shit, and that we're raping.

it's bullshit. It's fundamentally not true, and any solution predicated on a lie is prooobably not a solution.

by the way.. i'm still watchin..
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished watching. I thought it was fantastic. Really well done.

my above complaint still stands, and there was lots of little emotional bullshit bits all over the place, but all in all it was great... and yeah, the shots in it are gorgeous. really fantastic.

I quite liked the ending. very cool.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    I agree i liked the ending. Specifically the correlation made between solar energy, and the algae discussed in the first part of the film; instead of digging into the ground for energy, we should look to the cleanest and infinite power source right in front of... or on top of us.

I didn't agree or enjoy some parts, but was cool to get a lot of info in a short span. Was curious why desalenization wasn't mentioned when talking about Greenland.

some really beautiful images in there too. great stuff, thanks for that link.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    ...it's bullshit. It's fundamentally not true, and any solution predicated on a lie is prooobably not a solution...
    Of course it is.. You obviously can't see the truth because you're not on the board of directors for the company selling carbon credits so you won't profit handsomely from that commodity which is green-guilt *cough*ALGORE*cough* ;)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Great video.

Interesting, though: The entire thing is shot from the air. I wonder how much GAS they spent capturing those aerial shots.

*slaps forehead*
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha you guys are great.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yann-Arthus Bertrand has been one of my favourite photographers for quite a while now. He did a series of animals years ago that a lot of your have probably seen, even if you don't recognise the guy's name.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the pictures are just great - would love to have this playing in loop on second screen :D